• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 01 diesel shunters on Holyhead breakwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I note that 002 was scrapped.
What about 001 was that scrapped as well?

Yes both scrapped and the original class was (I think) five strong. I believe that a couple of the class are preserved but not the two TOPS numbered ones.

341o2

Established Member
001 was last used in 1973 and used as a source of spare parts until officially withdrawn 1979
002 withdrawn 1981 after last worked line in 1980
Edit - were not scrapped immediately after withdrawal

Last edited:

curly42

Not correct,I'm afraid.

Both locos still existed in 1981 when I photographed them inside the shed.

I understand that they were cut up on site in February 1982.

Taunton

Established Member
One wonders what were the diesels' predecessors, as no BR main line steam loco seems allocated there. If just an industrial steam loco, how did it get moved over to be a BR mainstream operation.

How did the locos, and wagons, get there? Presumably by road.

On these small shunters, the 6-cylinder Gardner engine and the Wilson gearbox were the same as on the Crosville buses of the era at their Holyhead garage, so presumably there was some element of local support available.

6Gman

Established Member
One wonders what were the diesels' predecessors, as no BR main line steam loco seems allocated there. If just an industrial steam loco, how did it get moved over to be a BR mainstream operation.

How did the locos, and wagons, get there? Presumably by road.

On these small shunters, the 6-cylinder Gardner engine and the Wilson gearbox were the same as on the Crosville buses of the era at their Holyhead garage, so presumably there was some element of local support available.
Not certain, but I think the story was:

The breakwater was built for the LNWR using stone taken from the quarry (known as Twr Quarry) on Holyhead Mountain, variously quoted as 6-7 million tons. The railway was operated by the quarry company since they were the sole supplier for both construction and maintenance.

It is said that the railway was converted from broad to standard gauge and that the loco (named Prince Albert) was regauged. By the 1930s it was life-expired and was replaced by a (new?) loco, named Crowhurst. The operator of the quarry was the Crowhurst Silica Quarry company hence the loco's name.

I believe the quarry closed in the late 50s/ early 60s (or lost the contract) which meant that the quarry company was no longer involved, and stone had to be brought in by road and then transferred to the rail wagons for movement onto the breakwater. Clearly the quarry company loco was not an option so the diesels were brought in. They were brought in by road.

I know things can be informal at distant locations but I doubt Crosville provided any support. A fitter from Crewe seems more likely!

Taunton

Established Member
Always a bit of an interest because, probably 1966, we went on a family car holiday to Ireland, by the then new car ferry "Holyhead Ferry 1", and stayed overnight in a hotel called the Soldiers Point Hotel, whose shattered and burned out remains appear to be still there, by the breakwater. It was something of a time warp even then. Going for a walk around, we chanced upon the loco shed with the two locos in the doorway, they were just packing up for the day.

When did the locos go there? I believe their livery even predated BR diesels being green, they were black, and never repainted. They were originally based at Stratford, and used in the London docks.

seagull

Some research indicates that in 1966, for just one year (or less), British Rail transferred an 0-4-0 John Fowler diesel shunting locomotive ED6 to the Breakwater Railway, and which was the first "dieselisation" of the line. It was unsuccessful and left the Breakwater railway during 1967, moving first to Valley Goods Yard by low loader and then to Mona Fuel and Trading, Holyhead, after which nothing more seems to be known.
The two 153hp shunting locomotives D2954 and D2955 that would later become classified as Class 01 arrived in 1967 as replacements.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Not certain, but I think the story was:

The breakwater was built for the LNWR using stone taken from the quarry (known as Twr Quarry) on Holyhead Mountain, variously quoted as 6-7 million tons. The railway was operated by the quarry company since they were the sole supplier for both construction and maintenance.

It is said that the railway was converted from broad to standard gauge and that the loco (named Prince Albert) was regauged. By the 1930s it was life-expired and was replaced by a (new?) loco, named Crowhurst. The operator of the quarry was the Crowhurst Silica Quarry company hence the loco's name.

I believe the quarry closed in the late 50s/ early 60s (or lost the contract) which meant that the quarry company was no longer involved, and stone had to be brought in by road and then transferred to the rail wagons for movement onto the breakwater. Clearly the quarry company loco was not an option so the diesels were brought in. They were brought in by road.

I know things can be informal at distant locations but I doubt Crosville provided any support. A fitter from Crewe seems more likely!
I can't add anything about the 01 shunters, I'm afraid, but I assumed my father would have visited the area if there were steam locomotives in the quarry and sure enough his records indicate that on the day of his visit - 25 Mar 38 - there were two locos seen in the limestone quarry area, known then as WM Wild &Sons Ltd - Silica Works. (makers of Silica bricks apparently) The two were a Andrew Barclay (1584/17), previously from Spillers of Seacombe and a Peckett (1873/34). I have no idea whether either of these locos had anything to do with the Breakwater Railway...unless of course the Peckett was the replacement that @6Gman mentions, having only been built in 1934.

thesignalman

Here's a view taken inside the shed 1/6/79:

01002~NC15597.jpg
Photo: N L Cadge/433shop.co.uk

Notice that although it is in BR blue colour and with its later number, it wears a "lion and wheel" crest on the cab.

John

Last edited:

thesignalman

I won't argue. It is hard to tell in flourescent light. I think I have a close-up of the cab side somewhere, that might be more telling.

John

markindurham

It is difficult to tell for sure, but to me the black of the wasp stripes looks to be a darker colour than the bodywork
Bear in mind that the stripes will have been a later addition to the locomotives though - and the angle that the photo's taken from may have had an effect too.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
brdatabase has details of the class, but only one photo - in which the loco performs the very important task of propping up some planks of wood!

Both cut up on site 28 February 1982 by OR Davies.

brdatabase.info class 01 query

BR (1955 Number)BR (Pre Tops)BR (Tops)BR (Dept)BuiltCodeDepot NameFromDate Withdrawn
11504D29540100119/02/195630A
9D
6J
W
Stratford (New)
Newton Heath
Holyhead
Withdrawn
19/02/1956
01/05/1965
10/06/1967
14/09/1979
14/09/1979
11505D29550100219/02/195630A
9D
6J
W
Stratford (New)
Newton Heath
Holyhead
Withdrawn
19/02/1956
01/05/1965
10/06/1967
15/03/1981
15/03/1981

thesignalman

I dug out my picture from the store-shed but it is pretty non-conclusive through being an indoor shot. But there's a far better picture above. Remarkable that the black livery looked so good after all those years! Here's the picture Norman Cadge took, for what its worth.

01002~NC15598.jpg
Photo: N L Cadge

I'm not sure how they escaped green livery, I have a picture of another Stratford one in green by summer 1966 (see https://433shop.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=class 01&category_id=0&description=1&product_id=4225) and these two were only transferred out a year before that.

But of course, after arrival at Holyhead repaint would not have been the easiest task as they would have had to be roaded out to works for the purpose.

All quite remarkable.

John

gg1

Established Member

Taunton

Established Member
I'm quite familiar with construction plant where the paint is just touched up as necessary with a simple spray aerosol paint can. It would be quite reasonable for somewhere where you can't do works visits and very local staff maintain it.

delt1c

Established Member
The doors looks to be made of wood o_O

Presumably a replacement? Not something I would expect to see on a loco built in the 1950s.
The early 08's were also built with wooden doors. As to the livery it was the original BR black and I believe these were the only locos still in Black to recieve TOPS numbers

randyrippley

Established Member
Why were they given revenue stock numbers?
It would have seemed more appropriate to have put them into one of the engineering number sequences e.g: ED / DS / PWM

6Gman

Established Member
Why were they given revenue stock numbers?
It would have seemed more appropriate to have put them into one of the engineering number sequences e.g: ED / DS / PWM
A good question, but I suspect there was no good reason to renumber them.

Status
Not open for further replies.