• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 115 DMU on the West Somerset Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
I had a ride over the West Somerset Railway from Bishop's Lydeard to Minehead and back today.

I caught the 11.05 train from Bishop's Lydeard which is shown in the timetable as a diesel, and sure enough it was formed of the line's class 115 DMU.

The view from the front of the DMU on a sunny Spring day was amazing. Although I've travelled over the line quite a few times before, I'd never realised before quite how curvaceous it is; you just don't appreciate that from a loco-hauled train. The section through the Quantock hills seemed like a continual succession of reverse curves.

I'm not sure if this turn is a regular one for the DMU or not; perhaps someone on here connected with the WSR can comment. But it certainly made for an enjoyable ride today. Highly recommended!

As an aside, I wonder if anyone can recommend any professionally-produced cab rides of the line on DVD?

Attachments

• DSC08984.jpg
    DSC08984.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC08986.jpg
    DSC08986.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC08988.jpg
    DSC08988.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC08989.jpg
    DSC08989.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC08991.jpg
    DSC08991.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 109
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I must say I do like those shots, is the third one Blue Anchor? thanks for posting.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's a fantastic line Davetheguard. I'm not sure but I think there is a regular DMU turn in summer, I will try and check later, I have a feeling that it doesn't go the whole length of the line though.
There are a couple of cab ride videos on Youtube that are worth a look. I thought there was one done with a class 37 hauled stone train in the 90s but I can't seem to find it.
I've always thought of the WSR a bit like two railways - The BL to Williton section is a twisty hilly cross country type journey and then the section from Williton to Minehead has that seaside holiday line kind of feel to it.
They've got a 26 up there for the gala in June so we'll head up for one of the days I reckon.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I must say I do like those shots, is the third one Blue Anchor? thanks for posting.

It is and you can see the beast that is North Hill above Minehead in the background. :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
It is and you can see the beast that is North Hill above Minehead in the background. :)

Ah, thanks for confirming, it has to be said that 115 looks rather strange with the destination panel placed in the middle of the former 4 character headcode box don't you think?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
It's a fantastic line Davetheguard. I'm not sure but I think there is a regular DMU turn in summer, I will try and check later, I have a feeling that it doesn't go the whole length of the line though.
There are a couple of cab ride videos on Youtube that are worth a look. I thought there was one done with a class 37 hauled stone train in the 90s but I can't seem to find it.
I've always thought of the WSR a bit like two railways - The BL to Williton section is a twisty hilly cross country type journey and then the section from Williton to Minehead has that seaside holiday line kind of feel to it.
They've got a 26 up there for the gala in June so we'll head up for one of the days I reckon.

And a pair of 20s

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah, thanks for confirming, it has to be said that 115 looks rather strange with the destination panel placed in the middle of the former 4 character headcode box don't you think?

It does look a bit odd. Normal headcodes and a bit of paper in the left windscreen saying 'Minehead' would have done it (before anyone says I should offer to volunteer I don't mind writing Minehead on a piece of paper for them ;)).

davetheguard

Established Member

Sorry, yes, I probably should of identified the locations; although in the first one the name board is visible anyway.

1. Bishop's Lydeard
2. Doniford Halt
3. Blue Anchor (as already confirmed)
4. Minehead.

The June Diesel Gala sounds interesting. I think I'll pay another visit for that....

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Sorry, yes, I probably should of identified the locations; although in the first one the name board is visible anyway.

1. Bishop's Lydeard
2. Doniford Halt
3. Blue Anchor (as already confirmed)
4. Minehead.

The June Diesel Gala sounds interesting. I think I'll pay another visit for that....

Thanks for that Dave, your pictures really seemed to convey the atmosphere of the trip, it's a line I really must travel some day.

theblackwatch

Established Member

Agreed! This seems to have been a modification done at the WSR. Normally on a 115, the destination blind would be located at the top of the middle window.

Status
Not open for further replies.