• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DannyMich2018

With many now stored and only some of the TFW ones PRM'd and CET fitted how long will it be before we see the first ones sent for scrap?

Failed Unit

Established Member
With many now stored and only some of the TFW ones PRM'd and CET fitted how long will it be before we see the first ones sent for scrap?
That is one class of unit I would love to cut up. Too much time crush loaded onto the things. (It always seems worse crammed into 1 car)

Foggycorner

why do they have to be sent for scrap, can they not be always coupled to a prm'd unit to make 3 car so you would have prm toilet and a normals toilet in the train

Chorley Cake

I suspect they may be popular on heritage lines in the way Bubble Cars are/were. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a high preservation rate when their main line life expires.

Failed Unit

Established Member
why do they have to be sent for scrap, can they not be always coupled to a prm'd unit to make 3 car so you would have prm toilet and a normals toilet in the train
I have always wondered that myself. semi-permanent coupling to a 156. Surely have one fully accessible toilet is fine. why lock the other toilet out. bigger trains such as the 700/1 only have a single accessible coach. I guess it another traction type to learn.

On Moderation
I suspect they may be popular on heritage lines in the way Bubble Cars are/were. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a high preservation rate when their main line life expires.
Certainly got to be a far more appealing option than the ridiculous numbers of rancid Pacers now at preserved lines.

Ryry

Storage perhaps.
K
Shame no Heaton drivers are trained on them any more as they would be useful for extra capacity to Whitby and saltburn inn the summer and the shuttle services from Middlesbrough to nunthopre

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Shame no Heaton drivers are trained on them any more as they would be useful for extra capacity to Whitby and saltburn inn the summer and the shuttle services from Middlesbrough to nunthopre

I haven't been following Northern events much but have they got dispensation to be in service ?

SteveyBee131

Only until the end of this month, like most other dispensations.

EDIT: Having just checked the diagrams, there seems to be 4 diagrams in place until the December timetable change, 2 all day, and 1 morning peak, with one on maintenance/exam, so perhaps there has been an extension.

Last edited:

warwickshire

On Moderation
Only until the end of this month, like most other dispensations.

EDIT: Having just checked the diagrams, there seems to be 4 diagrams in place until the December timetable change, 2 all day, and 1 morning peak, with one on maintenance/exam, so perhaps there has been an extension.
Yes there has till December 2021 timetable change.
However for x3 diagrams only on Leeds to Wigan via calder valley services.
With x2 all day and one peak hours etc..

superkev

Established Member
Yeah with another 4 going tomorrow

316, 351, 352 and 363
1. The above move of another four 153s from Holbeck to Heaton has run. Anyone confirm unit numbers.
Note yesterdays 4 were Angel units with todays booked as Portabrook.
Any more planned as I'm not sure Northern will still need the remaining 10 units.

2. Pity they cant do a Scotrail with a couple of 153s for hikers etc for lines like the S and C. Save getting all that mud on those new 158 seats.
K

Gulf1159

The two moves this week from Holbeck to Heaton were

153304,153315,153317,153378 on Tuesday
153301,153316,153351,153352 on Wednesday

I have seen 153363 quoted as being in the consist on Wednesday but it’s still in service today currently on 2I19 Wigan to Leeds

The Vee

One that eludes me is 153324. Not gone to Heaton according to the above and doesn’t appear on RTT either. Spares maybe?

Cletus

Established Member
Just seen 359 and 324 at Todmorden on their way to Newton Heath, a few minutes before I boarded 328 on a Wigan service.

Phil Scott

Does anyone know if there are any organisations planning to preserve 153s or other 15x units? Thanks

Anonymous10

Established Member
One that eludes me is 153324. Not gone to Heaton according to the above and doesn’t appear on RTT either. Spares maybe?
Any other ones will be awhile yet as they are still actively in service without any withdrawal dates
tfw have withdrawal dates well a year anyway 2023 that is i believe

Other views are also available at the Welsh Dog(box) home located at Canton in Cardiff.
im happy to say i find the tfw refurb units lovely especially when paired

LowLevel

Established Member
Are 153308 and 384 still with East Midlands?

If so, when are they planned to be withdrawn/scrapped?
Yes. Mostly to be seen broken down in the Cleethorpes area or chugging up to Barton, but also with some seasonal work to Skegness at present. 308, 319, 355, 357, 379 and 384 are on the books with EMR though 319 has been dumped at Etches Park for months.

September 2021 seems to be the current withdrawal date.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Yes. Mostly to be seen broken down in the Cleethorpes area or chugging up to Barton, but also with some seasonal work to Skegness at present. 308, 319, 355, 357, 379 and 384 are on the books with EMR though 319 has been dumped at Etches Park for months.

September 2021 seems to be the current withdrawal date.

Thank you very much.

308 and 384 are my final EM 153s that are required, so will try to fit in a trip there in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.