• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 153 updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
Thank you very much.

308 and 384 are my final EM 153s that are required, so will try to fit in a trip there in the near future.

If you decide to go on a particular day do feel free to tag me in a post and if I'm in a position to do so I am quite happy to let you know what they're up to or not as the case may be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
why do they have to be sent for scrap, can they not be always coupled to a prm'd unit to make 3 car so you would have prm toilet and a normals toilet in the train
PRM compliance isn't just an accessible toilet. You also need destination displays, door sounders, buttons at specific heights etc - it's quite a comprehensive list of requirements. Plus it's another traction type to learn and pool of spares to maintain.

Failed Unit

Established Member
PRM compliance isn't just an accessible toilet. You also need destination displays, door sounders, buttons at specific heights etc - it's quite a comprehensive list of requirements. Plus it's another traction type to learn and pool of spares to maintain.
So actually the could run the 153 as semi-permanent 3 cars with a 156 if the fixed the rest of the issues. Certainly don’t remember the EMR ones having internal destination displays on them. But have travelled on one for over a year. Recently when I have seen them they are coupled to a better unit so have got on it instead.

Caaardiff

So actually the could run the 153 as semi-permanent 3 cars with a 156 if the fixed the rest of the issues. Certainly don’t remember the EMR ones having internal destination displays on them. But have travelled on one for over a year. Recently when I have seen them they are coupled to a better unit so have got on it instead.
TfW still haven't had extension to their current 153's that haven't had modifications. There are 2 currently in having mods that don't include the PRM toilet but everything else. It's unclear whether this will be sufficient mods to keep them in service longer term attached to another 153 that has a PRM toilet, or if any extension would allow units without any mods at all being done.

Neptune

Established Member
Why this obsession with ‘semi-permanently’ coupling 153’s to other units? It’s been an obsession for years. If they are to get the PRM mods they require beyond any derogation then there’s no need to make them (or the unit they intend to be semi-permanently coupled to) inflexible. Just operate them as they are now.

LowLevel

Established Member
Joining Network Rail’s infrastructure fleet according to the latest Modern Railways

Crikey. Hope they don't load old Expeditious (376) too heavily with test kit, she struggles to get herself moving as it is - never the fastest that one!

superkev

Established Member
Strange moves. Are these all the 153s stored at Heaton and do they not couple together.
No idea why there going to Ely.
K
P.s. 153331 and 363 are the 2 Northern 153s out today coupled to 158s. Hardly seems worth bothering just using 2 units.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I bow to your superior knowledge, its been a while since a worked any 150x stock

I hope I'm right but I've heard of a 5 Car in passenger service on GWR and today have heard of a 4 Car in service. Why I'm so confident is because there was a lot of discussion on the subject awhile ago

Failed Unit

Established Member
I hope I'm right but I've heard of a 5 Car in passenger service on GWR and today have heard of a 4 Car in service. Why I'm so confident is because there was a lot of discussion on the subject awhile ago
Isn’t it down to number of cabs. It matches with what you say. Never seen more than 4 in service myself but doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. Seen a 8 car 156 / 158 combo once.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Isn’t it down to number of cabs. It matches with what you say. Never seen more than 4 in service myself but doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. Seen a 8 car 156 / 158 combo once.

That is what I thought but the 153s are unique because of the splitting from 155s. and having to create another cab.

Anonymous10

Established Member
ive never seen a 5 car 153 train not to say it doesn't happen but rare id guess

Established Member
Just seen a lash up of what looked like 4x153 at Crewe. It was a TFW train so presumably on the Chester shuttle.

sd0733

Established Member
Just seen a lash up of what looked like 4x153 at Crewe. It was a TFW train so presumably on the Chester shuttle.
Its booked for that today. A 153/9+153/3+153/9+153/3 diagram on it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Strange moves. Are these all the 153s stored at Heaton and do they not couple together.
No idea why there going to Ely.
K
P.s. 153331 and 363 are the 2 Northern 153s out today coupled to 158s. Hardly seems worth bothering just using 2 units.

One of the diagrams was a double 158 a few weeks ago, and it's on the Calder valley line which can get very busy, so well done Northern for keeping up the capacity.

Also, it's enabled me to have a bit of a nostalgia wallow !

On Moderation
Non of todays (tues) have run so 8 153s remain at Heaton. Two paths tomorrow which I suppose could be 4 car each.
K
I'd be surprised if all 8 went to Ely, as one of them is Porterbrook owned, I believe.

driverd

6 empty, 5 in service

TOC specific rule, you can have 6 coupled elsewhere.

For those interested, I've always been told the max number of vehicles in a formation derives from the number of brake systems in a formation - 153s being unique in having 2 independent brake cylinders/control units. Ordinarily its max 12 car 15x - not sure where the 12 coupled rule actually originates however.

AMD

I was told that the 12 car rule came about due to the signal down the train wires getting weaker the further away from the driven cab, 12 being the reliable result from a couple of tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.