• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 158/159 recovery following Salisbury collision

Status
Not open for further replies.

contrex

On 31 October 1977 31 273 went through the end of the loop at Hanwell and down the embankment. It took six Class 47, including two on the Relief Lines to prevent them being pulled out of alignment, and a lot of Kelbus gear to get it back on the track.

EDIT: googling Kelbus gear and choosing images finds some photos.
That's the one. It was a 31 not a 47 that ran down the embankment. I thought it was in or near London and not in Scotland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Rear coach of the 158 is visible here, presumably the next lift tomorrow morning:
It looks very much as though it was stopped by the tunnel portal?
Ouch, Presumably that’ll be the end for that half of 763 then. I wonder if the Long Marston spare will be rebuilt as a replacement, or if a hybrid will be created out of the remaining useable vehicles (presuming the other half of 763 is repairable).

hwl

Established Member
Maybe to save it and until after the coaches have been dragged out then put it back so it doesn't get damaged?
Correct. also difficult to get grip if the loco is on top and small wheel on the track work trolleys don't always agree well with crossings when heavily laden

fgwrich

Established Member

hwl

Established Member
Have all the vehicles been recovered now? What did they do after 59003 didn't do the job? Are there any pictures?
The 2 lead GWR vehicles made their own way home to SPM.
The rear 159 vehicle was towed and lifted on to the lorry yesterday and taken to Long Marston.
The middle 159 vehicle was towed and lifted yesterday on to the lorry yesterday is on the way to Long Marston.. 59003 pulling it out.
The rear 158 vehicle has been lifted by the Kirow Crane.

Just the lead 158 and 159 vehicle left in the tunnel.

On Moderation
Ouch, Presumably that’ll be the end for that half of 763 then. I wonder if the Long Marston spare will be rebuilt as a replacement, or if a hybrid will be created out of the remaining useable vehicles (presuming the other half of 763 is repairable).
I suspect the two vehicles still in the tunnel are in a far worse state than the half of 763 we've seen. If I was betting, I'd say that the whole of 763 is a write-off, plus at least the lead vehicle of the 159. The middle car will depend on underframe damage and if it's been twisted - from first appearances it looks OK, but the devil is in the detailed engineering assessment.

skyhigh

Established Member
Yes. the roof does look bent, IMHO that will probably mean it’s written off.
From what I can see the bent bit on the end is the crumple zone which is designed to deform, looks in much better condition than I expected to be honest.

Towers

Established Member
I fear the other half is unlikely to see repairs.

I posted this image somewhere in one of these threads a day or two back; if you look carefully you can see that there is a large chunk of GWR 158 bodyside wedged sideways against the 159 cab bulkhead - the toilet window and the cycle space sticker can easily be made out. That has been ripped clean from the end of one of the cars, and my money is on it being the one that's still inside the tunnel. The pics of the recovered car seem to show the damage being primarily on the corner that hit the tunnel, and the opposite side doesn't appear to have been ripped off. Also, looking through the gangway into the carriage, it looks to be the accessible toilet fitted vehicle, which would mean that the cycle bay sign came from the other coach.

Attachments

• FDDzhI4XoAQLHQE.jpeg
    FDDzhI4XoAQLHQE.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 562

ABB125

Established Member
It’s done it - 3 out, 2 to go. That’s probably not done the 59 any good though.

The centre car has now been lifted and is sat on a trailer. Surprisingly it doesn’t look too bad.

The rear 159 vehicle was towed and lifted on to the lorry yesterday and taken to Long Marston.
The middle 159 vehicle was towed and lifted yesterday on to the lorry yesterday is on the way to Long Marston.. 59003 pulling it out.

Thanks both.

fgwrich

Established Member
I fear the other half is unlikely to see repairs.

I posted this image somewhere in one of these threads a day or two back; if you look carefully you can see that there is a large chunk of GWR 158 bodyside wedged sideways against the 159 cab bulkhead - the toilet window and the cycle space sticker can easily be made out. That has been ripped clean from the end of one of the cars, and my money is on it being the one that's still inside the tunnel. The pics of the recovered car seem to show the damage being primarily on the corner that hit the tunnel, and the opposite side doesn't appear to have been ripped off. Also, looking through the gangway into the carriage, it looks to be the accessible toilet fitted vehicle, which would mean that the cycle bay sign came from the other coach.

Ouch. And very ouch. It looks like 763 may be a complete write off then, unless the Long Marston spare is useable.

Rick1984

It doesn't look it would do the class 59 much good trying to pull the 159 like that!

Signal Head

Interesting that the fixed diamond has been 'plain lined', as it wasn't noticeably damaged in the incident.

Dan G

So as far as I can tell, the last vehicle of the second 158 unit, and the second and third vehicles of the 159, were moved away from the accident site on Thursday, and variously lifted off the track Thursday and yesterday.

The attempts to pull the lead 159 car out of the tunnel with 59003 happened on Thursday, too.

Anyone know if any progress was made with the two remaining vehicles, stuck side-by-side in the tunnel, yesterday?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Interesting that the fixed diamond has been 'plain lined', as it wasn't noticeably damaged in the incident.
I'm wondering if it was done to avoid having 59003 standing directly on the diamond when trying to drag the vehicles free. A single piece of plain line is probably less likely to shift under the strain.

Also, if it wasn't damaged, taking the diamond out temporarily means it can be protected from any damage by the recovery operation, and put back afterwards.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I believe based on what was posted yesterday, (Friday) you’ve listed the middle 159 a day early?

Annetts key

Established Member
I'm wondering if it was done to avoid having 59003 standing directly on the diamond when trying to drag the vehicles free. A single piece of plain line is probably less likely to shift under the strain.

Also, if it wasn't damaged, taking the diamond out temporarily means it can be protected from any damage by the recovery operation, and put back afterwards.
This is the most logical answer. In previous photos, I did not see any damage to the fixed diamond crossing.

As fixed diamond crossings are expensive (compared to plain line rails) and there would be a long lead time for a replacement to be manufactured, it would be sensible to take it out and store it. Rather than take a risk of it being damaged during the recovery operations.

hwl

Established Member
I believe based on what was posted yesterday, (Friday) you’ve listed the middle 159 a day early?
Lifted by the kirow crane and in mid air at the junction one of the photos.

Being lifted on to the road today.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Passed a single vehicle (from the GWR 158) going north on the A34 Whitchurch Bypass about 1420. With a tarpaulin covering the whole side. I’m assuming it’s the one they were intending lifting out this morning?

fgwrich

Established Member
Is (was) 159102 always a 159, or one of the rebuilt 3-car 158s?

It is an ex 3 car 158, the 22 x 159/0 are the original NSE units, the 159/1s are the later conversions, in the 2006/7 period.

Formerly ex TransPennine Express 158803. The rebuilds were as follows:

158800 > 159101
158803 > 159102
158804 > 159103
158805 > 159104
158807 > 159105
158808 > 159106
158809 > 159107
158811 > 159108
158814 > 159109

Last edited:

CR165022

Passed a single vehicle (from the GWR 158) going north on the A34 Whitchurch Bypass about 1420. With a tarpaulin covering the whole side. I’m assuming it’s the one they were intending lifting out this morning?
just seen a video posted of it on twitter, it looks like the number has also been covered, i wonder why?

Status
Not open for further replies.