• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8H

There are paths in real time trains now for tomorrow for three return trips to Wrexham Central from Bidston, 1st one off Birkenhead North depot, presumably intended for the 230, but sadly it isn’t on the Wirral yet, Can’t see any any entry for it getting there yet although I may well have missed it. Good to see it was intended to get it straight into action though.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There are paths in real time trains now for tomorrow for three return trips to Wrexham Central from Bidston, 1st one off Birkenhead North depot, presumably intended for the 230, but sadly it isn’t on the Wirral yet, Can’t see any any entry for it getting there yet although I may well have missed it. Good to see it was intended to get it straight into action though.

They will only be on the Borderline lines and Birkenhead North Depot

8H

They will only be on the Borderline lines and Birkenhead North Depot

Yes Philipe I knew they are for WRX BID only, but that lines runs through the Wirral of course which is why I was wondering when the unit will get to Birkenhead North to begin trials.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes Philipe I knew they are for WRX BID only, but that lines runs through the Wirral of course which is why I was wondering when the unit will get to Birkenhead North to begin trials.

It was scheduled to run from Wrexham to Birkenhead yesterday but it appears the move didn't run. It is booked to come off Birkenhead North tomorrow for trials so at the moment not quite sure where it is.

Liverpool 507

It was scheduled to run from Wrexham to Birkenhead yesterday but it appears the move didn't run. It is booked to come off Birkenhead North tomorrow for trials so at the moment not quite sure where it is.

Still in the old Wrexham & Shropshire bay platforms at Wrexham General.

DavidGrain

Established Member
They will not be in action until the crew training is finished. If tomorrow's runs are crew training I would have expected them to be shown as ECS runs with an AW shown as the TOC. They are still shown as ZZ workings which to my mind means that they have not yet been accepted by TfW. I would have expected that the gauge clearance is still to be done as they have not previously been run on the Bidston Line. When the Rugeley line was electrified a couple of years ago sometime was spent checking the gauge clearance of both the 323s and the 350s as they were new stock to the line.

M28361M

Train on the move between Wrexham and Bidston this morning with an obfuscated freight headcode. Is this the 230?

6Gtraincrew

Train on the move between Wrexham and Bidston this morning with an obfuscated freight headcode. Is this the 230?

Yes it is. Photo of it at Hawarden Bridge on a certain railway Facebook page

arfortune

They will not be in action until the crew training is finished. If tomorrow's runs are crew training I would have expected them to be shown as ECS runs with an AW shown as the TOC. They are still shown as ZZ workings which to my mind means that they have not yet been accepted by TfW. I would have expected that the gauge clearance is still to be done as they have not previously been run on the Bidston Line. When the Rugeley line was electrified a couple of years ago sometime was spent checking the gauge clearance of both the 323s and the 350s as they were new stock to the line.
You're right - this is all still Vivarail testing, so nothing to do with TfW yet. Crew training is still to take place.

M28361M

A short clip (not by me) of it arriving and departing Bidston:

The final journey of the day (1502 Wrexham Central-Birkenhead) seems to have finished at Wrexham General. RTT showing testing paths in tomorrow as well.

Last edited:

K.o.R

These seem a lot more robust than the Marston Vale units. I wonder if they'll use lessons learned from these and update those units for better reliability?

Bob Price

A lot of the testbed work on the batteries were done on 002 so they had a good platform to start with. They will also have learned from the Maston Vale units as well.

EN 15227 was been made mandatory by the Technical Specifications for Interoperability (TSI) decisions in 2008 - the 2008/232/CE for high-speed railways and 2008/57/EC for conventional rail, long before the concept of the Class 230 was worked up. While ongoing projects were allowed to be completed all new procurements since then had to include the requirement so Vivarail had to design the front of the train to meet the requirements of this standard.

Anything else you may have heard about crash tests is wibble.

I was surprised to read this.

Going from memory, wasn't part of the idea behind re-purposing 'D' Stock to avoid compliances such as this by relying upon 'grandfather rights' wherever possible? This stock ran on BR/Network Rail tracks to reach Wimbledon, and presumably therefore met whatever standards were in place when designed back in the late 1970s, so does - in simple terms - sealing up an end door make compliance with a TSI introduced after the trains were originally built necessary?

It's interesting to see that trains built specifically for the route are being introduced - again!; BR did that by building some class 108 power twins back in 1959. They had fantastic acceleration and hill climbing capabilities, and it will be interesting to see how a 230 compares

6Gtraincrew

According to rtt, 006 is heading to Chester today. Must be going for fuel. Due into Chester at 9:35 if it runs.

Bob Price

Lots of back and forth from Honeyborne and Evesham today on RTT. Wondering if this is some running for 007 or if 008 is having a shakedown.

6Gtraincrew

Terrible photo, but here it is sat outside Alstom

Attachments

• 20200728_095341.jpg
    20200728_095341.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 174

Gag Halfrunt

Going from memory, wasn't part of the idea behind re-purposing 'D' Stock to avoid compliances such as this by relying upon 'grandfather rights' wherever possible? This stock ran on BR/Network Rail tracks to reach Wimbledon, and presumably therefore met whatever standards were in place when designed back in the late 1970s, so does - in simple terms - sealing up an end door make compliance with a TSI introduced after the trains were originally built necessary?
Going from memory, the idea was to make use of trains that were available at scrap prices and in good condition for their age. There weren't lots of mainline EMUs surplus when Vivarail started the project, so they accepted the extra hurdle of modifying the D stock for mainline use.

Vivarail reinforced the cab as well as sealing the cab end door, and this was presumably enough to meet TSI requirements for the low speeds that the D-Train is intended to run at.

Camden

Established Member
It's interesting to see that trains built specifically for the route are being introduced - again!; BR did that by building some class 108 power twins back in 1959. They had fantastic acceleration and hill climbing capabilities, and it will be interesting to see how a 230 compares
The motors had only recently been replaced, and was one of the factors involved in using these for repurposing. They're using the same motors, just a different power source, so given the nature of the routes these used to ply, regularly climbing and descending, I'd hope they'd be ideal for hills.

Little disappointed that the noise from the generator seems to be quite loud, but I think they've been made to look very smart indeed. Looking forward to seeing them in use one day.

On Moderation
The motors had only recently been replaced, and was one of the factors involved in using these for repurposing. They're using the same motors, just a different power source, so given the nature of the routes these used to ply, regularly climbing and descending, I'd hope they'd be ideal for hills.

Little disappointed that the noise from the generator seems to be quite loud, but I think they've been made to look very smart indeed. Looking forward to seeing them in use one day.
As I understand it the 230s are getting new AC traction motors from TSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.