• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bob Price

I thought TFW had an order for 5 units but only 3 cleared for usage the article says !
009 and 010 haven't been finished yet. I guess they will need approval once they are ready. 008 has done some local testing.

D365

Veteran Member
I imagine that, since 002 was used as a testbed for the TfW units, it made sense to get it approved at the same time also. Or maybe they are using it to cover for 009/010?!

DavidGrain

Established Member
Paths are Q 'as required' for both local testing to Evesham and longer distance testing to Stourbridge Junction but are not currently being activated so presumably 008 is not being tested at the moment.

Bob Price

Paths are Q 'as required' for both local testing to Evesham and longer distance testing to Stourbridge Junction but are not currently being activated so presumably 008 is not being tested at the moment.
Yes I know how they work, however they were activated today and then cancelled. I am sure there is a plan but would like to see them process.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes I know how they work, however they were activated today and then cancelled. I am sure there is a plan but would like to see them process.

If nobody cancels them off they self activate 2 hours prior to starting time, Bob, so seems not required to run

The_Train

Established Member
Are 006, 007, 008 currently basing themselves at Birkenhead Depot whilst on testing?
Is this likely to change once they enter service?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Are 006, 007, 008 currently basing themselves at Birkenhead Depot whilst on testing?
Is this likely to change once they enter service?

There was talk of a dedicated Depot being built at Wrexham but all seems to have gone quiet now.. Using Birkenhead for maintenance and Chester Alstom Depot for fuel.

The_Train

Established Member
There was talk of a dedicated Depot being built at Wrexham but all seems to have gone quiet now.. Using Birkenhead for maintenance and Chester Alstom Depot for fuel.

Would seem a bit extreme to build a new depot for just 5 units but I suppose it could be used for other units as well.
Nonetheless, thanks very much for the info :)

DavidGrain

Established Member
I think Birkenhead, which is a Mersey Rail EMU depot a little way off TfW territory is just temporary as there is talk of a new depot at Shotton. Are the Wrexham Bidston service not served from Chester? I don't think 008 is actually at Birkenhead yet, I think it is still at Long Marston being tested in Worcestershire.

The_Train

Established Member
I think Birkenhead, which is a Mersey Rail EMU depot a little way off TfW territory is just temporary as there is talk of a new depot at Shotton. Are the Wrexham Bidston service not served from Chester? I don't think 008 is actually at Birkenhead yet, I think it is still at Long Marston being tested in Worcestershire.
The plan is for a dedicated vivarail staffed depot purpose built at Dee Marsh, it will only be for the 5 unit 230 fleets use.
Until then it will be Birkenhead North for maintenance and then Chester depot for fueling

Thanks both!
I'd not considered a new depot to be staffed by Vivarail - that makes sense to be fair. Would it not make sense for them to make it slightly bigger and move all of their work there and bin off Long Marston?

hobbm013

Pretty sure Vivarail are Moving to Barry in South Wales from Long Marston as soon as the TFW order is done

Bob Price

Many years ago. It is a waterside development with a heritage railway. Don't think they will be testing the 484's there though.

Pretty sure Vivarail are Moving to Barry in South Wales from Long Marston as soon as the TFW order is done
They are already started building the 484's at LM so think the move may be on hold. Back to TfW is they have started the 484's then 009 and 010 must be well advanced.

Bob Price

Would seem that 008 is heading out today on the long runs to Stourbridge etc. Just passed Honeyborne heading for Morton in Marsh.

Does anyone know what is happening with the testing and driver training on the Bidston line? Plenty of testing in Warwickshire with runs to Stourbridge Junction again, but seemingly none at the Borderlands.

Last edited:

sw1ller

Established Member
No training involvement with TFW staff as yet, TFW are trying to get safeguarded staff back asap & other staff returning to work plus instructors are being utilised getting delayed trainees out driving. So nobody is available to do any sort of training
Plenty of training going on, just nothing to do with 230’s. What’s worse, the 2 230’s that have been on test have now officially been handed over apparently and there’s no one to drive them!! All test drivers are now on rhtt duties and not what. There’s many furloughed drivers, drivers that have had incidents, long term sick and all the newly qualified drivers to get through first, then all the trainees of which there are many! This is gonna be a long and slow process. I want to be involved with this project more than anyone but it’s just not gonna happen anytime soon.

Caaardiff

Just over 2 months until Dec timetable change and doesn't look like the 230s and maybe even 769s will be ready to be introduced.

Bob Price

I understand that the 769's are testing at the same time as training drivers. They are all running under TfW codes so they may have a better chance.

DavidGrain

Established Member
The first question I would ask would be who trains the trainers? Do all the crews in the depot have to be trained or can the service be started with a small pool of trained staff?

craigybagel

Established Member
The first question I would ask would be who trains the trainers? Do all the crews in the depot have to be trained or can the service be started with a small pool of trained staff?
It would be difficult - all 3 drivers links at Chester have work on the Bidstons so every driver needs to learn them (along with all the guards at both Chester and Shrewsbury). Swapping the jobs around a limited amount of crews who do sign them would be very difficult, especially as Chester are short of drivers and routinely having their jobs covered by other depots already.

It should be easier with the 769s as the plan was always for them to be worked only by the small depot at Rhymney, so a much smaller amount of crews need training - especially as on the Valleys most diagrams see the same driver and guard working together all day making things a lot simpler whereas in the North the guards and drivers diagrams are all over the place.

warwickshire

On Moderation
So does this mean that then the 150s will not get replaced until may 2021 on the Wrexham to bidston line. However on the valley lines the Pacers should go as expected to in December 2020.

sw1ller

Established Member
They’ve also just told us we all need to learn Piccadilly to the airport now too as network rail don’t want us taking up the mayfield loop. So that’s all red link and the starter link drivers tied up for a while.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
It would be difficult - all 3 drivers links at Chester have work on the Bidstons so every driver needs to learn them (along with all the guards at both Chester and Shrewsbury). Swapping the jobs around a limited amount of crews who do sign them would be very difficult, especially as Chester are short of drivers and routinely having their jobs covered by other depots already.

I wonder if there is / was a plan for the Borderlands work to be concentrated, before Covid got in the way.

Jona26

They’ve also just told us we all need to learn Piccadilly to the airport now too as network rail don’t want us taking up the mayfield loop. So that’s all red link and the starter link drivers tied up for a while.

Isn't that a bit ironic as I'm sure when what was ATW wanted to extend services to the airport Network Rail said the timetable wasn't robust enough in times of late running.

Status
Not open for further replies.