• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 230 units training/introduction on the Borderlands line: updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
What other services use the Mayfield Loop these days?

I'm not aware of anything booked other then the ECS from Crewe for the 0631 Manchester - Milford Haven, which sits in there for a while 4 days a week (on the other 2 days it runs via Warrington and Chat Moss). However it is often used for turning back late running services that should have run through to Manchester Airport.

I wonder if there is / was a plan for the Borderlands work to be concentrated, before Covid got in the way.
I doubt it - with the service level planned to double in the next few years it's more likely the work will need to be spread even further. There are very few routes within TfW that are only signed by one depot - and as far as drivers are concerned Bidston and the North end of the Heart of Wales are the only such lines at present within the North end of the franchise (other than rarely used diversion routes).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ribbleman

Isn't that a bit ironic as I'm sure when what was ATW wanted to extend services to the airport Network Rail said the timetable wasn't robust enough in times of late running.
Are there not thoughts that the TfW service will be diverted to run to Victoria as part of the reduction of services through Castlefield in order to increase reliability?

sw1ller

Established Member
What other services use the Mayfield Loop these days?
I honestly don’t know. There’s a couple of jobs where we spend 50 minutes (ish) in there so it can’t be needed too much, it’s not like they can put freight in the out the way as it’s far too short, only takes a 4 car. I’m sure they have a plan for it though.

peteb

Test runs from Long Marston to Stourbridge Junction are on realtime trains for tomorrow morning. Last Friday only the earlier runs were done, with the class 230 seen returning towards Long Marston at around 2pm through Worcester Shrub Hill.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Can anyone confirm if the 230 on Wrexham to bidston will fully replace the class 150 by December 2020 timetable change or will it be more like may 2021 timetable change please.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Is there any reason why it would have to wait for a timetable change to bring the 230s into service? The only reason that I can think for having to do this is if the stock used on the Bidston service does other trips during the day.

Can anyone confirm if the 230 on Wrexham to bidston will fully replace the class 150 by December 2020 timetable change or will it be more like may 2021 timetable change please.

What are the exact dates in Dec/May please

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is there any reason why it would have to wait for a timetable change to bring the 230s into service? The only reason that I can think for having to do this is if the stock used on the Bidston service does other trips during the day.

If they are slower than the existing, they won’t meet the running times and therefore s timetable change will be required.

What are the exact dates in Dec/May please

13/12/20, 16/5/21

peteb

Test runs from Long Marston to Stourbridge Junction are on realtime trains for tomorrow morning. Last Friday only the earlier runs were done, with the class 230 seen returning towards Long Marston at around 2pm through Worcester Shrub Hill.
Sorry folks, train doesn't seem to be running today according to Realtime trains although something else has just left Long Marston for Crewe via Kidderminster......?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

They haven't necessarily got to wait in practice but a change such as this usually have a Timetable change of date They could start earlier if it is possible and any schedule changes dealt with under STP arrangements.

hobbm013

Zero chance of seeing them running a full service in December, maybe the may timetable could see them in service. But Only 2 have been delivered so far & no TFW training has taken place at all !
They aren't even doing test runs on the line at present, plus there have been no infrastructure work done to accommodate the 230's in any way on the line.
I think TFW have many more issues that are a priority over the 230's at this moment in time, the covid one being the most pressing issue unfortunately.
What infrastructure work is required out of Interest?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Zero chance of seeing them running a full service in December, maybe the may timetable could see them in service. But Only 2 have been delivered so far & no TFW training has taken place at all !
They aren't even doing test runs on the line at present, plus there have been no infrastructure work done to accommodate the 230's in any way on the line.
I think TFW have many more issues that are a priority over the 230's at this moment in time, the covid one being the most pressing issue unfortunately.
That confirms what I heard. TfW concentrating in getting it's traincrew up to speed on core tractions.
If the Borderlands were operated by a single depot then it might have been easier.

AIUI 230006 and 007 are parked up waiting for TfW to allocate man hours to training.

Ripe for a newspaper "scandal" headline.

craigybagel

Established Member
That confirms what I heard. TfW concentrating in getting it's traincrew up to speed on core tractions.
If the Borderlands were operated by a single depot then it might have been easier.

AIUI 230006 and 007 are parked up waiting for TfW to allocate man hours to training.

Borderlands IS worked by a single depot (for drivers anyway), it's just a very large one.

I should think the newspapers have better things to do with their time - especially as surely even they can see that it's hard to train as many people as normal during a pandemic.

rich.davies

Borderlands IS worked by a single depot (for drivers anyway), it's just a very large one.

I should think the newspapers have better things to do with their time - especially as surely even they can see that it's hard to train as many people as normal during a pandemic.
Not if the Daily Post get wind of this, they would be all over it like a rash!

craigybagel

Established Member
Shrewsbury conductors work some trips too

Indeed they do, which is why I included "(for drivers anyway)". However, I was thinking that with all due respect to my former grade, it's a lot harder and more time consuming to observe social distancing for traction training for drivers then it is for conductors.

Not if the Daily Post get wind of this, they would be all over it like a rash!

Fair point.

Last edited:

Liverpool 507

230006 & 230007 are inside Birkenhead North shed. They moved in once Merseyrail’s 508110 & 508134 were taken to Newport for scrap.

DavidGrain

Established Member
008 does not seem to have been out on test in Worcestershire for a while unless I have missed any reports and I have not heard any reports of 009 and 010. However we do know that Vivarail have at least one of the 484s in build in the same workshop.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
008 does not seem to have been out on test in Worcestershire for a while unless I have missed any reports and I have not heard any reports of 009 and 010. However we do know that Vivarail have at least one of the 484s in build in the same workshop.
I am sure I read somewhere that there would be a lull in deliveries as Vivarail upped sticks and relocated to the new premises at Southam. However cannot remember if it was a break in the delivery of 230009/010 or a break in the delivery of after 484002

Bob Price

008 was out on long runs at the end of September. Probably no hurry with the last three due to the points previously made.

Bob Price

Not activated, but there is a Long Maston to Wrexham scheduled for this afternoon. Not noticed on the timings previously. May just be a placeholder. The LM to Morton and Stourbridge bhave all auto activated so we will see what happens. May just all get canned.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Apologies for going off topic but has anyone watching movements from Long Marston seen anything of the hydrogen train since its demo run to Evesham a few weeks ago?

D365

Veteran Member
Apologies for going off topic but has anyone watching movements from Long Marston seen anything of the hydrogen train since its demo run to Evesham a few weeks ago?

I didn't know Vivarail had a Hydrogen unit ready at this time. Unless you are referring to the Class 799?

Energy

Established Member
So vivarail have produced a hydrogen unit ? But vivarail have only delivered 2 of the 5 TFW 230's ordered, I thought fulfilling the order would have been the priority !
Vivarail have planned a hydrogen unit and are working on it with another company, fulfilling the TfW order is still their priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.