• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 31 operations on GEML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
When traction was in short supply - we at Felixstowe sometimes got a 31+37 combo for a pair of 37;s - a half way house really between a sole 47 (1070) trailing and 2x37 for 1400 trailing.

Could cause problems that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfie1014

In the early 80's , had a slow run home a couple of times on the 17:30 Liv St - Norwich with a 31/4 and 10 MK2 aircon when a 47 had failed.
A bit later but presumably substituting for a 47, a non-ETH 31208 arrives at Ipswich in June 1985 where it will be replaced by the waiting 86 on an up Norwich service.9A3E67E1-BBA4-4C4B-AEAD-EA53348DBFFF.jpeg

Last edited:
I did know about the Class 31s, but did not put two and two together. Nice little joke, and I feel amused as opposed to offended.

Taunton

Established Member
I did know about the Class 31s, but did not put two and two together. Nice little joke
To be precise, the locos fell not onto the North Circular Road, which passes directly overhead on a high viaduct and was unaffected, but onto Tilling Road, which is part of the lower level roundabout junction joining the North Circular, the M1 and Edgware Road.

The end of the short viaduct the locos fell from was never repaired, the smashed concrete edge is still visible, 33 years on, with the bent reinforcing rods sticking out, here :
London, England - Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.