• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 preservation society

Status
Not open for further replies.

Townsend Hook

If it was in that good a condition it wouldn’t have been off-leased now but retained until the end of the fleet.
It is possible that it could have been withdrawn because it had an exam due, in which case no inference could be made about the condition.

Just saying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
One thing's for sure: 820 wasn't withdrawn due to low mileage. It was amongst the last 315s to be overhauled, receiving this work in summer 2019. The society were aware of its withdrawal date several months ahead of time so it was never planned to be a survivor into 2022.

Of the recently scrapped 315s, I know 834 was one which was virtually out of miles. It was due for withdrawal last summer but had a reprieve due to a fault with another.

As a numbers geek, I hope flying machine 839 is there until the very end, ideally even the one preserved, as that has always been a lovely runner.

On Moderation
One thing's for sure: 820 wasn't withdrawn due to low mileage. It was amongst the last 315s to be overhauled, receiving this work in summer 2019. The society were aware of its withdrawal date several months ahead of time so it was never planned to be a survivor into 2022.
Judging by the group's reaction to 820 going, you'd think Eversholt had told them the week before, not months before. None of this is really doing their credibility any good.

Mothball

From a post on the 315 groups Facebook page, Sims/Eversholt have donated the two "315820" flame cuts to the group. One is being kept while the other is up for auction with a reserve price of £1000 and a condition, and I quote "this is NEVER resold".

If it actually sells for anywhere near that price we will have to wait and see, what stumps me is that the society desperately need to raise a lot of money in the coming months purely to move a unit, yet they keep hold of a flamecut they believe is worth £1k+.

Sm5

What's a flame cut?
Its a panel of metal cut out of the side of a piece of rolling stock that usually carries a marking like the number, a logo or some data panel.

often today its cut by angle grinder, but traditionally it was done by torch, hence the term flame cut.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What's a flame cut?
They will have used an Oxy Acetylene Torch to cut around the number panel from the front of the unit to sever the panel with the unit number from the rest of the body.

D821

Thanks both. I'd guessed it wasn't Burger King related but wasnt quite sure what it meant.

fgwrich

Established Member
From a post on the 315 groups Facebook page, Sims/Eversholt have donated the two "315820" flame cuts to the group. One is being kept while the other is up for auction with a reserve price of £1000 and a condition, and I quote "this is NEVER resold".

If it actually sells for anywhere near that price we will have to wait and see, what stumps me is that the society desperately need to raise a lot of money in the coming months purely to move a unit, yet they keep hold of a flamecut they believe is worth £1k+.

Good luck reaching 1K for a "flame cut" of a 315 - even some of the rarer 442 cut outs only ever came closer to reaching around the £300 mark.

They will have used an Oxy Acetylene Torch to cut around the number panel from the front of the unit to sever the panel with the unit number from the rest of the body.

A lot of them will be angle grinder cut these days for time, simplicity and it does a better job. All of the ones sold by Arlington via Raxstar are cut this way.

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
Well, don't flood the market, I suppose. In the general case, only one for sale will command a higher price per unit than several. They can always sell the other one later.

Established Member
Good Evening our next auction item, sadly this 1 gives neither me or the Committee any pleasure in auctioning off. With Grateful thanks to our friends at Simms Group and also Eversholt Rail Leasing Group Ltd for arranging this, we have kindly had donated both flame cut number panels off 820 the Society are keeping 1. The 2nd we are offering for Auction subject to our usual T&C's. Whilst we have had these donated due to the fact that this will be the ONLY ever 315 flame cut legally available this has a reserve of 1000.00 and bids will increase by £20.00 increments, pictures will be available shortly. Bidding is open now until January 31st 2022 at 17. 45 am. As usual postage by Courier will be added to the winning bid at cost (approx €15.00). Please note that this comes with a condition that this is NEVER resold, so if you are buying to make a few quid forget it. To bid either comment below or DM me. Good Luck and Happy Bidding. Once again this has been legally acquired and arranged by Eversholt for us due to the relationship we have built up with them and NO other 315 bits will be sold. Also to clarify why the reserve is so high we have spoken to 3 auction houses and they state given the uniqueness of the item and its province a reserve of £1000.00 is recommended.
Was the guy drunk when he wrote this? Apart from the silly price (makes the London Transport Museum seem reasonable!), the postage is 15 euros and the bidding finishes at 17:45 AM!

I also wonder what the legal standpoint of never resold is.

On Moderation
Was the guy drunk when he wrote this? Apart from the silly price (makes the London Transport Museum seem reasonable!), the postage is 15 euros and the bidding finishes at 17:45 AM!

I also wonder what the legal standpoint of never resold is.
I can't understand the logic of the "not for re-sale" condition, either. So if someone bids £1000 and someone else comes along with £1500 but says "but I won't accept the no re-sale condition", what are they going to do? I would suggest that term is basically unenforceable. So what if it is sold on - what are they going to do about it?

It's also rather amusing that they've gone from "don't post any photos of 315820 going to Newport, it's too distressing" to "yes, we will sell off the last remaining bit of 315820 cos we need the cash".

The £1000 reserve looks questionable, too, given that loco flame cuts often don't get anywhere near that and a loco is always going to have more value than a unit, especially an inner-suburban unit that only worked in one area. I rather think they are blind to the level of popularity (or not) of these things.

Established Member
The £1000 reserve looks questionable, too, given that loco flame cuts often don't get anywhere near that and a loco is always going to have more value than a unit, especially an inner-suburban unit that only worked in one area. I rather think they are blind to the level of popularity (or not) of these things.
That's the difference between what they would pay for it and what other people would pay for it.

For it to go above their starting bid, they need to find two people who both think it's worth more than 1k.

I think they will struggle to find one.

L401CJF

Established Member
More to the point, if I decided to cough up a grand to buy it, would a measly £15 courier fee cover the whole £1000 total if it went missing in transit?

spookywestie

Apparently a £1000 bid has been recieved. I have a feeling this has only been said because of everyone saying the reserve is too high. I can't see it going for more than a few hundred..

Established Member
Apparently a £1000 bid has been recieved. I have a feeling this has only been said because of everyone saying the reserve is too high. I can't see it going for more than a few hundred..
Or a fake account....

For reference, there are some 317 unit numbers on eBay currently.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211128-131619.jpg
    Screenshot_20211128-131619.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 109

XAM2175

Established Member
I can't understand the logic of the "not for re-sale" condition, either. So if someone bids £1000 and someone else comes along with £1500 but says "but I won't accept the no re-sale condition", what are they going to do? I would suggest that term is basically unenforceable. So what if it is sold on - what are they going to do about it?

It's also rather amusing that they've gone from "don't post any photos of 315820 going to Newport, it's too distressing" to "yes, we will sell off the last remaining bit of 315820 cos we need the cash".
I can only assume that they believe that everybody is as hung up on 820 as they are.

DanNCL

Established Member
I can’t speak for everyone, but I know there’s loads of things I’d sooner spend £1000 on than a flame cut of a number from a 315!

prod_pep

Established Member
£1,000 for the number of a below average 315 unit? Not a chance.

I'm staggered this has apparently attracted two bids already. It will be interesting to see if they are in fact genuine, as they've had problems with chancers on previous auction items.

Established Member
I have a feeling the bids are fake, or will fall through.

The two bidders clearly weren't confident enough to comment on the post themselves so messaged the admin about it.

I think it's only a matter of time until one of the Facebook meme groups notices this and starts a bidding war using fake accounts

JKF

The rarity value is probably down to them getting hold of a flamecut from Newport, I was of the understanding that nothing gets out of there, even the class 91 nameplates went in the bin.

On Moderation
even the class 91 nameplates went in the bin.
That directly contradicts what has been said elsewhere that the names were removed on arrival at Newport for return to Eversholt. Unless you know differently?

DanNCL

Established Member
The rarity value is probably down to them getting hold of a flamecut from Newport, I was of the understanding that nothing gets out of there, even the class 91 nameplates went in the bin.
That directly contradicts what has been said elsewhere that the names were removed on arrival at Newport for return to Eversholt. Unless you know differently?
The 91 nameplates were returned to Eversholt. Sims will return components of stock they get to the company who sells the stock to Sims if requested, as happened both with the nameplates from the 91s and with many parts out of 43061 and 43075. Sims don’t sell anything on, if it’s not returned to the company that sells the stock to Sims it’ll be processed, which is why it’s so rare that anything gets out of there. The flame cuts from 315820 were requested from Sims by Eversholt, who then passed them on to the 315 preservation group.

D365

Veteran Member
By the sound of it, Eversholt are being fantastically patient and cooperative.

Status
Not open for further replies.