• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Where would be the best route to sample some 315s on this weekend?

None diagrammed at weekends between Liverpool St and Shenfield, so maybe just the odd Chingford / Enfield / Cheshunt service but 710s are now taking charge. Romford - Upminster is the only guaranteed 315 for now, but even that is on borrowed time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Only the London Overground Lea Valley services from Liverpool Street they're only used on the Shenfields during weekday peaks.
Thanks - that's helpful to know.

None diagrammed at weekends between Liverpool St and Shenfield, so maybe just the odd Chingford / Enfield / Cheshunt service but 710s are now taking charge. Romford - Upminster is the only guaranteed 315 for now, but even that is on borrowed time.
Thanks - Romford to Upminster would be an interesting one to do, appreciate the info!

Is there a list anywhere of which 315s are still left in service? I did search but couldn't find anything.

Ewan M

That’s 812 + 825 officially culled. They reached Newport Docks an hour ago so no doubt the Sims guys will get to work dismantling them asap

Sean Davidson

I do not understand the love felt for 315s, I regarded them as rather mediocre with awful seats that didn't line up with the windows, boiling hot all year round, airless unless all of the windows were open, good riddance say I, for the 710s are much better.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I do not understand the love felt for 315s, I regarded them as rather mediocre with awful seats that didn't line up with the windows, boiling hot all year round, airless unless all of the windows were open, good riddance say I, for the 710s are much better.
all good points, but the PEP design was a light years ahead transformation for the routes they were introduced on in the late 70s etc, and this is worth marking. Obv they could have been better - esp internal layout. Not sure anyone is saying it's not time to move on of course.

Bikeman78

Established Member
They're a dying breed of DC motored trains. Yes the seat to window alignment is dire.

Depends if you are desperate enough to cover the 0103 Chingford!
Is that a hint? Long walk to the closest Premier Inn.

samuelmorris

Established Member
As daft as it is to have any sort of attachment to them, they've worked the area for 40 years, and to be fair, they have stood the test of time very well. Other than on warm days when you notice the lack of air conditioning, they do an exceptional job for their age. They carry large volumes of passengers, have reasonable acceleration and solid reliability for the short distance runs they operate. They have also had satisfactory PRM modifications fitted bringing them up to the standard of modern commuter stock. It's only the lack of A/C that lets them down. I would argue that while 315 seats aren't perfect, they are better than those on the Mk3 EMUs that succeeded them and indeed more comfortable than the solid seating used on their replacements. In winter I'm still quite content to use 315s, now that the novelty of using 345s has somewhat worn off. TfL have put the money in to look after them and thus they really don't feel like they're falling apart like some other newer classes of train do. It feels like they'd easily last another decade if they had to. There are actually very few classes of EMU that could be said about so far.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
As daft as it is to have any sort of attachment to them, they've worked the area for 40 years, and to be fair, they have stood the test of time very well. Other than on warm days when you notice the lack of air conditioning, they do an exceptional job for their age. They carry large volumes of passengers, have reasonable acceleration and solid reliability for the short distance runs they operate. They have also had satisfactory PRM modifications fitted bringing them up to the standard of modern commuter stock. It's only the lack of A/C that lets them down. I would argue that while 315 seats aren't perfect, they are better than those on the Mk3 EMUs that succeeded them and indeed more comfortable than the solid seating used on their replacements. In winter I'm still quite content to use 315s, now that the novelty of using 345s has somewhat worn off. TfL have put the money in to look after them and thus they really don't feel like they're falling apart like some other newer classes of train do. It feels like they'd easily last another decade if they had to. There are actually very few classes of EMU that could be said about so far.
Couldn't agree more, I wish I had a few more trips pre pandemic! Saying that nobody could've imagined the situation we all find ourselves in now.

Established Member
Couldn't agree more, I wish I had a few more trips pre pandemic! Saying that nobody could've imagined the situation we all find ourselves in now.

Yes good unsung workhorses. The Liverpool St - Shenfield route since electrification stands to have just three types of traction in 100 years (306 / 315 / 345) assuming the 345s last for the next 30 years. No need to panic yet as a few will be around until next May, if only on Monday to Friday peak workings between Liverpool St and Shenfield.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Yes good unsung workhorses. The Liverpool St - Shenfield route since electrification stands to have just three types of traction in 100 years (306 / 315 / 345) assuming the 345s last for the next 30 years. No need to panic yet as a few will be around until next May, if only on Monday to Friday peak workings between Liverpool St and Shenfield.
Oh really? That's good to know, hopefully Covid improves by then and all the 345's break down so 315's rain supreme a little longer! :lol:

Class465pacer

I grew up with 315s on the Shenfield metro. 745s are quite boring to me. But it is the future, and will provide a better experience to the majority that aren’t enthusiasts.

Edit: Meant the 345 crossrail trains not the 745 stadlers lol

Last edited:

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I grew up with 315s on the Shenfield metro. 745s are quite boring to me. But it is the future, and will provide a better experience to the majority that aren’t enthusiasts.
I suppose so, shame the seats on the 345 aren't as comfy as the 315 really as if ther were I would consider the 345 as a slightly more worthy replacement.

reddragon

Established Member
I suppose so, shame the seats on the 345 aren't as comfy as the 315 really as if ther were I would consider the 345 as a slightly more worthy replacement.

Rewind to 1982, - shame the seats on the 315 aren't as comfy as the 306 really as if they were I would consider the 315 as a slightly more worthy replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.