• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class360/1

In my case, if its not a non PRM 321, I simply can't enjoy it :|.
Personally, I prefer prm compliant ones because they are much easier to take your bikes on- they have wider vestibules and a designated space to store both bikes and wheelchairs, so I don’t have to block the vestibules.

reddragon

Established Member
I have never experienced a class 312, I only found out about it yesterday, but it sounds good 8-). The doors of the 321 seems to rattle a lot though, even when they are opening and sometimes closing. Its great, I always go with friends on the 321 and we vibe to house music, it hits sooo differently 8-):D:D. Sorry to make this off topic.

All 321s are like that, even the PRM ones.
A class 306 9-car on a fast from Colchester was thrilling. Did it once, unforgettable!

class321

Out loud? :| Not when there are other people in the same carriage I hope...
Most of the time its pretty much empty. Not loud though, since that's inconsiderate towards other people. We listen to it on headphones.

Personally, I prefer prm compliant ones because they are much easier to take your bikes on- they have wider vestibules and a designated space to store both bikes and wheelchairs, so I don’t have to block the vestibules.
I don't take bikes on journeys, it is impossible to take it on the TFL, and I don't think its allowed after Ilford Station, includes (Manor Park, Forest Gate, Maryland, Stratford)

Me too!

I really liked the 312's. Travelled on them a lot between Walton, Thorpe-le-Soken and St Botolphs (renamed Colchester Town around 1991ish)

321s were staples on the Clacton line until the 360s arrived

Back on topic, there were 2 or 3 pairs of 321's stabled in the Top Yard at Clacton yesterday; guessing at least 1 pair are the ones to go on Tuesday
I feel the class 360s wasn't a good investment (no offence @Class360/1), GA should have bought more 321s.

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
I feel the class 360s wasn't a good investment (no offence @Class360/1), GA should have bought more 321s.
So many problems with this! The 321s were long extinct as a product by the time 360s were introduced, the site where they were built no longer existed by that point. Technically if you follow the line of mergers and acquisitions, the 2003 equivalent of a 321 would have been 357s.
Further, the 360s were ordered by First Great Eastern, Abellio didn't take over the franchise until almost 9 years after the 360s arrived.
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that if FGE had kept the franchise that the 321s could well have been replaced with additional 360s.

XAM2175

Established Member
GA should have bought more 321s.
It would be faster if you just cut to the chase and said that in your opinion 321s should be the only stock used anywhere in GB for the rest of time regardless of all impracticality, since you're so clearly besotted with them.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I please steer everybody back to the topic of this thread which is Class 321 withdrawal updates.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then please either find an appropriate thread or start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

class321

It would be faster if you just cut to the chase and said that in your opinion 321s should be the only stock used anywhere in GB for the rest of time regardless of all impracticality, since you're so clearly besotted with them.
:lol:. They were my childhood trains and literally one of the very few trains I know about. I joined this forum to widen my knowledge of trains.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Thanks, did not manage to get out today to see them,
Always Friday if it’s running then on to clacton for a job and enjoy the ones in service still

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for to report back?
I believe @class321 is specifically looking for 321.427

It was on the carriage road adjacent to Platform 4 at Clacton Sunday morning. No idea if it came out to play yesterday

class321

I believe @class321 is specifically looking for 321.427

It was on the carriage road adjacent to Platform 4 at Clacton Sunday morning. No idea if it came out to play yesterday
I have given up. Also, I won't be going on the 321 anytime soon so it's goodbye to the 321s for me :frown: as yesterday was my last day. It wasn't out yesterday. Ended up going on 321332 and 321436

Last edited:

AC47461

I have given up. Also, I won't be going on the 321 anytime soon so it's goodbye to the 321s for me :frown: as yesterday was my last day. It wasn't out yesterday. Ended up going on 321332 and 321436

Have you tried asking on the TOPS requests threads here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/forums/allocations-diagrams-timetables.44/ (top of the page). It's no guarantee, but someone might be online and be able to tell you if the unit you want is allocated to a diagram. I've used it to great effect in the past, but it relies on someone being around to look it up.

class321

Have you tried asking on the TOPS requests threads here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/forums/allocations-diagrams-timetables.44/ (top of the page). It's no guarantee, but someone might be online and be able to tell you if the unit you want is allocated to a diagram. I've used it to great effect in the past, but it relies on someone being around to look it up.
I have tried, but the times I was going out, 427 wasn't running, and as I'm sitting my A levels, I have no time whatsoever :frown:.

Roger B

I was at Bethnal Green yesterday for a couple of hours or so (off-peak), and recorded 306, 310, 313, 316, 320, 325, 326, 327, 329, 330, 332, 338, 339, 342, 406, 432, 436, 902 (and 322 483) working.