• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
Unless you are me who films the door closing every time I go on a 321. Silly question but what is a door panel?
Every doorway will have a panel (with some units two - one on each side of the door, but not usually so with 321s). The sound produced by the sounder when the door is unlocked / about to close is controlled centrally, but the actual noise it produces is determined by the hardware inside the panel itself. As 321s use basic analog components to produce their sound, variations occur in pitch, speed, volume etc. - this is what is giving the examples you listed their distinct sound. My point is, this effect means that if you, for example, travelled to the next carriage along, or even just one of the other three doorways in the same carriage, you'd potentially hear a different sound. Thus, it'd be impossible to tell which unit is which by variations in that sound, unless you always knew to stand by one specific doorway.

class321

Every doorway will have a panel (with some units two - one on each side of the door, but not usually so with 321s). The sound produced by the sounder when the door is unlocked / about to close is controlled centrally, but the actual noise it produces is determined by the hardware inside the panel itself. As 321s use basic analogue components to produce their sound, variations occur in pitch, speed, volume etc. - this is what is giving the examples you listed their distinct sound. My point is, this effect means that if you, for example, travelled to the next carriage along, or even just one of the other three doorways in the same carriage, you'd potentially hear a different sound. Thus, it'd be impossible to tell which unit is which by variations in that sound, unless you always knew to stand by one specific doorway.
I see, there has been one instance where I changed carriage and heard two different sounds on class 321422 or 421, cant remember. Does the door sound change or is it fixed.
View attachment IMG_5936.TRIM.MOV321422 or 421 front carriage
View attachment IMG_5942.TRIM.MOV321422 or 421 panto car

samuelmorris

Established Member
A good demonstration of what I mean - that's the same type of sounder in both cases, just that slight variations in the values of the components inside it (whether manufacturing tolerance, age, etc.) cause the two tones it produces to be a different pitch and speed. It's just how they were. Modern units that use digital electronics to produce the sound will no longer have this variation.

class321

Every doorway will have a panel (with some units two - one on each side of the door, but not usually so with 321s). The sound produced by the sounder when the door is unlocked / about to close is controlled centrally, but the actual noise it produces is determined by the hardware inside the panel itself. As 321s use basic analog components to produce their sound, variations occur in pitch, speed, volume etc. - this is what is giving the examples you listed their distinct sound. My point is, this effect means that if you, for example, travelled to the next carriage along, or even just one of the other three doorways in the same carriage, you'd potentially hear a different sound. Thus, it'd be impossible to tell which unit is which by variations in that sound, unless you always knew to stand by one specific doorway.
I think that might be the case with class 321434. I went on that unit, same carriage as I saw in a video on youtube, but got a completely different alarm for some reason. I think they change the sounds.

A good demonstration of what I mean - that's the same type of sounder in both cases, just that slight variations in the values of the components inside it (whether manufacturing tolerance, age, etc.) cause the two tones it produces to be a different pitch and speed. It's just how they were. Modern units that use digital electronics to produce the sound will no longer have this variation.
Its a shame to be honest, really liked the uniqueness and funniness of the class 321 door alarm. Dont think anyone would hear anything like that anymore

Anyone know the next units to go to Sims?
348 and 442 i think, take a look at earlier posts.

Does anyone know the train travel restrictions after 8 th march?

How exactly do they produce these sounds? Is it randomly generated or is it made by someone composing these sounds. If it was made by someone, that that someone is a legend for making my 321 journeys the best.

Last edited:

class321

Oh nice, I'm hoping to go on 427, but my A levels are coming in the way. Have you got any videos or door alarms of these trains. The ones I have from your list is 424 and 354. I may have more but that was before I started remembering the unit numbers of these trains. I'm gonna be searching for 427 in my Easter holiday.

Class360/1

Oh nice, I'm hoping to go on 427, but my A levels are coming in the way. Have you got any videos or door alarms of these trains. The ones I have from your list is 424 and 354. I may have more but that was before I started remembering the unit numbers of these trains. I'm gonna be searching for 427 in my Easter holiday.
No

reddragon

Established Member
I see, there has been one instance where I changed carriage and heard two different sounds on class 321422 or 421, cant remember. Does the door sound change or is it fixed.
View attachment 91371321422 or 421 front carriage
View attachment 91372321422 or 421 panto car
There must be some kind of award for doing this, just not sure which type! Brilliant but bonkers!

class321

Is there anywhere I can find information on which units are going to be scrapped?

There must be some kind of award for doing this, just not sure which type! Brilliant but bonkers!
lol thanks. I should deserve an award for telling apart sounds.

At this rate just over half of the NON PRM units, probably. These are 321331-366 and all of the 321/4s.

Here is a list of the current status of Greater Anglia 321/322 fleet, including PRM status

Image shows a table outlining the withdrawal of Class 321s. Information shown is that 321334/344-345/348-352/356-358/363-364/366/422/425/435/437/438/442/446/448 (22 units) have been withdrawn from use at Greater Anglia.
Thank you very much, its a shame to be honest, I was planning to go find 425, 427, 435 as these are part of my favourite set of 321 units (421-437). I think I've been on 422. How often would a 321 go off lease?

Is there a schedule for scrapping of the 321?

Last edited:

class321

As I said, It's the loco to work the scape move to Newport tomorrow!
Sorry, didn't see that bit, so I guess 348 and 442 are leaving the line then.

At this rate just over half of the NON PRM units, probably. These are 321331-366 and all of the 321/4s.

Here is a list of the current status of Greater Anglia 321/322 fleet, including PRM status

Image shows a table outlining the withdrawal of Class 321s. Information shown is that 321334/344-345/348-352/356-358/363-364/366/422/425/435/437/438/442/446/448 (22 units) have been withdrawn from use at Greater Anglia.
Where did you find this info?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sorry, didn't see that bit, so I guess 348 and 442 are leaving the line then.

Where did you find this info?
I made the list using the information given on here by members who either have TOPS access and can identify units being taken for scrap, or who work for Greater Anglia and know which have been taken off lease.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for the discussion of class 321 withdrawals.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else (such as hustle alarms) then they are welcome to start a new thread on the topic.

Roger B

I swear 37884 is a celebrity at hauling old Brel emus to their doom
Is anyone in the know about what actually happens at Sim in Newport. When the 321s reach Newport, have they already been stripped internally (seats removed, etc), or do Sims remove the seats before the carriages are fed into the shredder, or do they go into the shredder with seats, etc still inside? And what about bogies - are these still attached when the carriages are fed into the shredder? Many thanks

Bikeman78

Established Member
I see, I need to go on 321427, it has the grey blue and white livery that they used for national express, are any trains that look like that at Parkeston? 321s are the best trains in existence. I've been on 427 twice but never filmed anything while on it. If they are at Parkeston, are they off lease or something or will they be used for services on the GEML.
I believe these are at Parkeston: 321344/345/347/348/353/358/363/363/406/425/430/435/442. So good news for 321427.

class321

I believe these are at Parkeston: 321344/345/347/348/353/358/363/363/406/425/430/435/442. So good news for 321427.
That's great :smile:. Hopefully it will be around by 1st April as that's when I'm going to go.

I made the list using the information given on here by members who either have TOPS access and can identify units being taken for scrap, or who work for Greater Anglia and know which have been taken off lease.
What does TOPS stand for?

ChilternTurbo

Is anyone in the know about what actually happens at Sim in Newport. When the 321s reach Newport, have they already been stripped internally (seats removed, etc), or do Sims remove the seats before the carriages are fed into the shredder, or do they go into the shredder with seats, etc still inside? And what about bogies - are these still attached when the carriages are fed into the shredder? Many thanks
From videos I have seen of the shredder at Newport, an entire and intact railway carriage could not be put in it. The bodywork is pulled apart using a mechanical grab so that it's broken down into more manageable pieces. Looking at pictures in the HST Mk3 carriage disposals thread, it would appear that the bogies are removed before scrapping begins. I don't know about the seats but given the high volume of stock arriving at Newport, I presume these get mixed up with the piles of scrap and are sifted out, along with the non-recyclables when the bit are put through the shredder.

adc82140

Established Member
The pictures of scrapping at Eastleigh I've seen seem a lot "gentler", with dual skips for each type of interior fitting material, followed by a pull apart with a mechanical grabber. But the throughput there is a lot slower than Newport.