• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Roger B

From videos I have seen of the shredder at Newport, an entire and intact railway carriage could not be put in it. The bodywork is pulled apart using a mechanical grab so that it's broken down into more manageable pieces. Looking at pictures in the HST Mk3 carriage disposals thread, it would appear that the bogies are removed before scrapping begins. I don't know about the seats but given the high volume of stock arriving at Newport, I presume these get mixed up with the piles of scrap and are sifted out, along with the non-recyclables when the bit are put through the shredder.
Thanks for this. Would it be possible to post a link to one or two of these videos, please? That'd be really helpful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train on the way from Harwich to Sims Newport today (at Marks Tey now). Does anyone know which sets please?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for this. Would it be possible to post a link to one or two of these videos, please? That'd be really helpful.
I posted a video in the closed 332 scrapping thread a few weeks back, :oops: I see someone’s already found it...

class321

What are the scrap moves for next week?

At this rate just over half of the NON PRM units, probably. These are 321331-366 and all of the 321/4s.

Here is a list of the current status of Greater Anglia 321/322 fleet, including PRM status

Image shows a table outlining the withdrawal of Class 321s. Information shown is that 321334/344-345/348-352/356-358/363-364/366/422/425/435/437/438/442/446/448 (22 units) have been withdrawn from use at Greater Anglia.
Has anymore gone off lease???

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Will there be a farewell run for both the classic 321's/322's and the Renatus 321's or just the former?
That suggests there will be one at all! There has been no sign as of yet that Greater Anglia will operate a farewell run, but then, there are still around eighty or so in operation and more may be revealed as the withdrawal progresses.

D365

Veteran Member
Will there be a farewell run for both the classic 321's/322's and the Renatus 321's or just the former?
If there are any, I doubt there will be any formal farewells until July the earliest...

Just saying don’t get your hopes up too much ;)

Bikeman78

Established Member
If there are any, I doubt there will be any formal farewells until July the earliest...

Just saying don’t get your hopes up too much ;)
I'd have thought that any time after April 12th would be acceptable. London Overground did a farewell for the 315s on October 20th.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Not all don't forget last weeks on the tuesday the 23 rd February and Friday 26th February was collected from parkeston. Depends at the time and where abeillo via the rolling stock company etc . Have arrangements for this at the time.

Shunter_69

That train isn’t running as there is an engineering block from Thorpe to Clacton until late April

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
When are the PRM units off to scrap?

Probably when all the non PRM units have gone and there are enough new units to work the services. With the Clacton blockade and necessary testing, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the PRM units are still in service by the end of the year. But that's speculation and possibly, nobody knows at yet

class321

Probably when all the non PRM units have gone and there are enough new units to work the services. With the Clacton blockade and necessary testing, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the PRM units are still in service by the end of the year. But that's speculation and possibly, nobody knows at yet
Oh calm, how often does a class 321 go off lease?

How do you start a new thread?

321446 was also the only 321 given 'One' livery wasn't it? Was quite noteworthy to see it, even if the livery was rather grotesque...
I kinda liked it for some reason.

Class 321430 and 321406 and 321362 have most likely to have gone for conversion.

Last edited: