• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

warwickshire

On Moderation
Once a pair of 321s go to scrap, does that mean that another 2 321s will go off lease?
Not always. Usually iff replaced by 720 ie in with the new out with the old.
Unless a 321 has a major fault beyond uneconomic repair ie cost. Or very high mileage or a major exam/repair is needed etc and abeillo Anglia can do without that unit.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The May timetable has appeared in realtime trains now. The Great Eastern mainline appears to be a Saturday service all week with hourly trains to Norwich, Ipswich, Clacton, Colchester Town and Braintree. London to Southend is back to three trains per hour. I expect some trains will be bumped up to 12 cars in the peaks but even so it will require far fewer units than the previous rush hour timetable. This explains why so many 321s have been laid up.

class321

The May timetable has appeared in realtime trains now. The Great Eastern mainline appears to be a Saturday service all week with hourly trains to Norwich, Ipswich, Clacton, Colchester Town and Braintree. London to Southend is back to three trains per hour. I expect some trains will be bumped up to 12 cars in the peaks but even so it will require far fewer units than the previous rush hour timetable. This explains why so many 321s have been laid up.
Thanks. I'm guessing in April they will still be running a reduced service?

Not always. Usually iff replaced by 720 ie in with the new out with the old.
Unless a 321 has a major fault beyond uneconomic repair ie cost. Or very high mileage or a major exam/repair is needed etc and abeillo Anglia can do without that unit.
I see, when they say that dispensation lasts until 31st may 2021, do they mean that all 321s must be off lease or all must be scrapped or sent for conversion?

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member

I see, when they say that dispensation lasts until 31st may 2021, do they mean that all 321s must be off lease or all must be scrapped or sent for conversion?
Non-PRM 321s should technically not be used. The 30 Renatus and 8 ex-Northern units can stay put. Frankly I'd be surprised if there aren't other units also still operating then, but we'll see.

warwickshire

On Moderation

Not always sometimes dispensation can get extended ie subject to requirements for the stock availability. However some cases a unit might develop a fault ie costly to repair and due to this it will be withdrawn before extension date. Like the northern 142 Pacers where due to high costs for repairs namely wheelsets.
Or a fault beyond uneconomic repair again same fate withdrawal because maintenance costs would be unjustified for a couple off months. To keep them running.

warwickshire

On Moderation
However due to government wanting people to have a normal summer and people can travel again. Hopefully summer will be busy this year and in the short term for 2021 summer some non prm units will remain.

class321

I’m sure those in a wheelchair prefer the PRM units.
Yes true.

However due to government wanting people to have a normal summer and people can travel again. Hopefully summer will be busy this year and in the short term for 2021 summer some non prm units will remain.
I would love to see some non PRM units going around in summer. Hopefully it will be a busy summer and the 321s dispensation would be extended.

Last edited:

delticdave

Non-PRM 321s should technically not be used. The 30 Renatus and 8 ex-Northern units can stay put. Frankly I'd be surprised if there aren't other units also still operating then, but we'll see.
If the Wickford bay isn't ready for a 5-car 720, will a few 321's be retained to keep the Southminster branch service running?

Jim-s

Thanks, I’m not to great at finding these out in advance

It is a shame to see them go, I remember when they were introduced and I lived along the southminster branch, they seemed so modern and in a way still do

I was very young but also Remember the end wall in each unit having a painting of something from the local area,
Was this a feature on all units or just a few does any one know?

Established Member
.......I was very young but also Remember the end wall in each unit having a painting of something from the local area,

If you Google ‘Edward Pond artist’ you’ll find a lot about those pictures in various links. From memory I think they were on all the GE units.

Neptune

Established Member
I was very young but also Remember the end wall in each unit having a painting of something from the local area,
The class 321/9’s had this feature from new until their first refurbishment depicting scenes from Yorkshire.

Likewise the original batch of 320’s for Strathclyde had them too with local scenes from the routes they operated and from what I can recall still retain them.

robert west

If you Google ‘Edward Pond artist’ you’ll find a lot about those pictures in various links. From memory I think they were on all the GE units.
all 321/3 yes
321/4 had pictures as well but of places on the Northampton line

adc82140

Established Member
The 442s had "Eddie Pond" in standard class, and "Edward Pond" in 1st. Was it the same on the 321s?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was wondering if any the PRM-ready (Renatus?) 321's had been scrapped rather than moved to other operators.
I think seeing as there are at least fifty non PRM 321s left it would be foolish to scrap any Renatus units at the moment