• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Back in the days of the mk. 3’s the 321’s provided lots more capacity and were good peak busters
Not all the way to Norwich though. The 1702 / 1930 arrangement is just an Ipswich stopping train extended to Norwich and 90+Mk3 substitutions were usually just 8-car, nothing to do with 'peak busters'.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Looks like 21 January for the last 321 to Norwich
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C49466/2021-01-21/detailed

I think all later dates are planned cancellations.
Ah right ok, that ran later than I was expecting.

Shame it won't happen again eh? :(

Saw a 321 driver today and he said there was a big line of withdrawn 321s but I forgot where he said it was as I was going to see them.

I think he said Harwich although as I say I've forgotten the location he said. :D :rolleyes:

Established Member
There were 9 or so 321s on the down through siding country side of Harwich International station, stretching most of the way to Dovercourt last week. They had the Pans up though so not looking withdrawn. There were 2 more in Parkeston Yard - pans down, plus 3 317s.

class321

There were 9 or so 321s on the down through siding country side of Harwich International station, stretching most of the way to Dovercourt last week. They had the Pans up though so not looking withdrawn. There were 2 more in Parkeston Yard - pans down, plus 3 317s.
those were the ones in warm store

Established Member
I remember doing the evening return run (1930 from Norwich IIRC). Quite spectacular with 3x321 going flat out.
Liverpool St driver going home. When it was first introduced the commercial requirement was for the 17.02 from Liverpool St to run to Stowmarket, but there was no path for the return working if it terminated there so it had to keep going to Norwich. Just happened to then fall into the timetable pattern for a 19.30 from Norwich, for which there was no commercial requirement, but the stock had to return to Ilford depot to balance the unit diagrams.

delticdave

Liverpool St driver going home. When it was first introduced the commercial requirement was for the 17.02 from Liverpool St to run to Stowmarket, but there was no path for the return working if it terminated there so it had to keep going to Norwich. Just happened to then fall into the timetable pattern for a 19.30 from Norwich, for which there was no commercial requirement, but the stock had to return to Ilford depot to balance the unit diagrams.
When I was using Anglia Day Rovers, 2-3 years ago, I always returned home, (Chelmsford, via a change at Colchester) & there were other passengers, not just the track-bashing gricers. Seriously noisy with all the windows open but 100 mph was reachedat least once in the journey. As for comfort, any "normal"passengers always moaned & couldn't understand why their "proper intercity train" was replaced by the 321 units. The 360 ride from Colchester to Chelmsford was quick, but not up to the ambience of the 309's.... Better than the bus back to the park & ride though, where I could relax in the comfy seat of my automobile....

Jim-s

Thanks for that, I was in the area and thought I’d stop and see, rolled past marks tey early just as I pulled up, no waiting today but no picture either

Managed to see a few 321s while there, one 3 unit set also haven’t got my notes to hand but I will post some numbers tomorrow if anyone’s interested

I remember doing the evening return run (1930 from Norwich IIRC). Quite spectacular with 3x321 going flat out.

Their sound at 100 mph is hell fire!

It sure is, many a late night going home on almost empty units windows open when the driver is getting a shift on, great rides and soundtrack, fell asleep on a few mind but that ment another ride back the other way, if there was one .

Class360/1

Seems like the same, good old 37 is doing the job today! Also does anyone know the latest units to fall casualty to the ‘scrap train’?

Jim-s

warwickshire

On Moderation
Which is a Tuesday. Is this an addition to Friday I wonder?
Yes. I suspect the reason why there is two moves this coming week is most likely due to the bank holiday just gone and the usual Friday move didn't run due to bank holiday and Simms most likely closed. So its probably an additional move next week to catch up on the weekly move missed . Which didn't run. Due to good holiday Friday.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Roughly how many non PRM 321s are left so far, if anyone knows?
According to a list, I've made and that contains all the newest info I can find, there are around 47 Non-PRM ones left.

However, only 39 of those are currently in service.

If you add the ex-Northern Stuff, you get a figure of 47 units left in service. However, as we all know this number can change overnight. :rolleyes: