• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 & 710 visibility in TOPS/Trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hi

Am I right in thinking that the allocations for TFL Rail and Overground stock are inaccessible?

Apart from one 395 and two 720s (the rest haven’t entered service yet), twenty-five Class 345s and eight 710s make up the only required units I need within the whole of the travelcard zone. The rest of the city is dud for haulage, hence why I want to tick off these Aventras too, except I hear the numbers aren’t in TOPS or Trust.

So is there any way of accessing these allocations or are they not accessible even if I ask in the TOPS Req. Thread?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LA50041

Established Member
Hi

Am I right in thinking that the allocations for TFL Rail and Overground stock are inaccessible?

Apart from one 395 and two 720s (the rest haven’t entered service yet), twenty-five Class 345s and eight 710s make up the only required units I need within the whole of the travelcard zone. The rest of the city is dud for haulage, hence why I want to tick off these Aventras too, except I hear the numbers aren’t in TOPS or Trust.

So is there any way of accessing these allocations or are they not accessible even if I ask in the TOPS Req. Thread?

Thanks
TFL rail 345's do show in Trust, it's only London Overground that don't. You would need access to Gemini or Genius for those

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
TFL rail 345's do show in Trust, it's only London Overground that don't. You would need access to Gemini or Genius for those
Really? That’s great news, I really did want to make more progress with the 345s and now I might be able to. Thanks so much :D

Established Member
Not impossible but significantly more difficult.
Have to disagree on difficult, they are captive to route units. Shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind, how would they cope trying to find (say) last OBB 1116 which could be on passenger or freight across much of Europe? Let alone something with no booked passenger work but dropping out occasionally vice...

DanNCL

Established Member
Have to disagree on difficult, they are captive to route units. Shooting fish in a barrel comes to mind, how would they cope trying to find (say) last OBB 1116 which could be on passenger or freight across much of Europe? Let alone something with no booked passenger work but dropping out occasionally vice...
It’s made more difficult without allocations as it means rather than specifically targeting the services the train you’re after is working, you end up having to stand around for long periods of time, in many cases multiple times too.

I do however agree with your point about fleets like the OBB 1116. It would be near impossible, with or without allocations, to get them all.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It’s made more difficult without allocations as it means rather than specifically targeting the services the train you’re after is working, you end up having to stand around for long periods of time, in many cases multiple times too.

I do however agree with your point about fleets like the OBB 1116. It would be near impossible, with or without allocations, to get them all.

Also helps to be told "sorry it isn't out today" so you don't have to waste time standing around say Hackney Downs [or Bethnal Green] for the likes of 710s

Or for some of those units which tend to do only 1 trip in the evenings, if it ends up on something which is fast to say Ingatestone from Liverpool Street then you know it requires an extra ticket etc

JonathanH

Veteran Member
if it ends up on something which is fast to say Ingatestone from Liverpool Street then you know it requires an extra ticket etc
...or you come back another day.

On the 345s, Reading is a 2.5 hour cycle, of which nearly half an hour is spent at Paddington. All 14 west-side diagrams therefore appear at Paddington in the evening peak in just over two hours.

On the 710s, half an hour at Blackhorse Road and an hour at Willesden Junction means you have seen all the units out.

It is a bit annoying from a haulage perspective that there are no numbers on the front to see what else is out whilst you are riding them but realistically the amount of time needed to clear 345s and 710s should be a lot less than other fleets.

'Bashing to order' is clearly a different game to 'Bashing on sight' - the first (now with the help of RTT) is all about planning a route that gets the most units, the latter is all about being strategic about where you place yourself to pick up the best sightings for the haulage needed.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It certainly does make a difference. For example, last time I was out there were no 345s on the whole of the West or East out that I require :)

Status
Not open for further replies.