• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
345067 confirmed on 9P53 2031 Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 to London Paddington, just about to leave Heathrow Central.

No message about the Elizabeth Line rebranding appears to have reached Heathrow yet - still all TfL Rail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

345 050

Does anyone have any information about the nature of the timetable change for TfL Rail West and East. Based on very very brief observations today it looks like they have reduced the train dwell times at Paddington and Liverpool Street?? Is this in preparation for through services later in the year?? I realise this might not be ideal place to post this question, but I'd rather not be responsible for starting new thread.

kevin_roche

Does anyone have any information about the nature of the timetable change for TfL Rail West and East. Based on very very brief observations today it looks like they have reduced the train dwell times at Paddington and Liverpool Street?? Is this in preparation for through services later in the year?? I realise this might not be ideal place to post this question, but I'd rather not be responsible for starting new thread.
The TfL timetables are posted on the TfL website but it does not appear to have changed much on the western side. Fewer trains in the morning peak. I don't know about the east and I'm not sure the timetable is up to date as the pdf does not show the Heathrow T4 trains which are shown on RTT.

reddragon

Established Member
The TfL timetables are posted on the TfL website but it does not appear to have changed much on the western side. Fewer trains in the morning peak. I don't know about the east and I'm not sure the timetable is up to date as the pdf does not show the Heathrow T4 trains which are shown on RTT.
But they have changed just enough to break the connection with the GWR TV services at Reading adding 15 mins to stopping service connections on the up services.

345 050

A lot of the PAD departure times seem very slightly different. I recall there are ghost slots for Maidenhead services (which won't be used until core services link to West), maybe this is why everything is jiggled? Anyone know why the diagrams for HXX and RDG are now merged? I know the dwell times in PAD were super long previously off peak, so maybe it's simple efficiency gains? Reducing number of units required to run the service?

PAD - Paddington
HXX - Heathrow Central (T2,3)
RDG - Reading

kevin_roche

But they have changed just enough to break the connection with the GWR TV services at Reading adding 15 mins to stopping service connections on the up services.
I had not seen that. That must be really annoying for those that have to change. I have assumed that they are making these changes in preparation for the final service in May 2023, but I don't know.

reddragon

Established Member
I had not seen that. That must be really annoying for those that have to change. I have assumed that they are making these changes in preparation for the final service in May 2023, but I don't know.
My son used to have 5 minute changes, now the crossrail trains depart as it pulls in! This is peak times mind you maybe different off peak?

Just checked - peak has added 10 mins, off peak added 15 mins. Right pain for the regular TV commuters!

345 050

Bringing this back on topic, 038 in service in East today. Are there any other recently extended units we are still waiting to see in service?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Bringing this back on topic, 038 in service in East today. Are there any other recently extended units we are still waiting to see in service?
No, 345038 running means all the 9-car units are accounted for now in passenger operation.

68 units have worked passenger services as 9-car units now. 345064 is currently 7-car but did have a period in passenger service as a 9-car. 345042 and 345056 are also currently 7-car but haven't ever worked passenger services as 9-car units.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
No, 345038 running means all the 9-car units are accounted for now in passenger operation.

68 units have worked passenger services as 9-car units now. 345064 is currently 7-car but did have a period in passenger service as a 9-car. 345042 and 345056 are also currently 7-car but haven't ever worked passenger services as 9-car units.
Does that mean that the two cars for 064 must already be at Old Oak Common then ?.

345 050

Any intel on which units will form the first two trains from Paddington and Abbey Wood? Has anyone done any sleuthing?

JonathanH

Veteran Member

Nicks

There is discussion about the failure of 345003 at Plumstead on the Class 701 thread - where is it now and what is happening to it please?

Invincible

Part time spotter's blog indicates that 345001 did indeed form the 0633 from Paddington. 345070 was the 0620 from Abbey Wood.
Geoff Marshall's video shows nervous managers and enthusiastic passengers.
So far so good!

Alstom will keep a close eye on the trains.
Guess the traction control box on the train at Plumstead will be replaced, tested and the train will sometime go into service?

mainframe444

I thought this might be of interest. As we know, the Elizabeth Lines colour is purple, but when 345002 was first delivered to Melton RIDC for testing, it seems that wasn’t always the case….

This was taken on 03/11/16.

M

Attachments

• 03F7A0F0-14E7-43C6-8775-6180FBD22D25.jpeg
    03F7A0F0-14E7-43C6-8775-6180FBD22D25.jpeg
    894.9 KB · Views: 212

hwl

Established Member
I thought this might be of interest. As we know, the Elizabeth Lines colour is purple, but when 345002 was first delivered to Melton RIDC for testing, it seems that wasn’t always the case….

This was taken on 03/11/16.
It was always the case but the final pattern for the moquette was only approved circa a week before the units were first shown on the Press day at Derby and the production of the material had yet to start, hence Bombardier used some existing cloth that was never approved for a previous build to get the unit out.

There are only a limited number of colour that meet TfL criteria for "line colour" purposes (sufficiently different to other in Tone + Colour and capable of being made into enamel signs with multiple baking stages). 3 of the the last 4 spare colours identified when opening the Jubilee line have now been used (W&C turquoise, LO Orange and Crossrail Purple)

aleggatta

There are only a limited number of colour that meet TfL criteria for "line colour" purposes (sufficiently different to other in Tone + Colour and capable of being made into enamel signs with multiple baking stages). 3 of the the last 4 spare colours identified when opening the Jubilee line have now been used (W&C turquoise, LO Orange and Crossrail Purple)
What’s the last spare colour out of curiosity?

iphone76

Silly question but I'm curious to know what this device near one of the wheels is for?

View attachment 115382
It's the receiver for the DOO CCTV system. The cameras are based on the platform and the images are fed/broadcast to the train via a cable which runs along the side of the platform.

It's quite a good system as if the train is brought to a stand halfway out of the station, the driver can see what is going on the platform as the second receiver will still be alongside the platform

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's the receiver for the DOO CCTV system. The cameras are based on the platform and the images are fed/broadcast to the train via a cable which runs along the side of the platform.

It's quite a good system as if the train is brought to a stand halfway out of the station, the driver can see what is going on the platform as the second receiver will still be alongside the platform
Thanks, it just caught my eye when I was sitting at Romford earlier.

rebmcr

Established Member

The system is called 'leaky feeder', it's common on LU but not the mainline, which usually just uses cameras attached to the train.

There is a coaxial cable (a central metal core inside a tubular metal shield, separated by a plastic spacer) but with the shield perforated at regular intervals — this is enough to protect the signal from interference, while still allowing it to 'leak' out along the length of the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.