• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 move to longsight??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamTrainsYT

Hia, anybody know the reason for a class 365’s move from Crewe south yard - longsight last night was?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Right, so Longsight is an Alstom facility. Some kind of refurbishment or recommissioning work?

bramling

Veteran Member
Right, so Longsight is an Alstom facility. Some kind of refurbishment or recommissioning work?

There was a rumour that one unit was to be returning to GTR. I’m not sure what they’d be doing with it at this moment in time though, as far as I can tell the December timetable change doesn’t seem to require more, though it does shuffle things round slightly as part of Kings Lynn 8-car. GTR already have 2x 365 more than originally envisaged.

I haven’t looked in detail at what happens next year during the KX engineering work though. Could it be that they may be doing for maxing our the Peterborough peak services to compensate for reduced LNER services? Not all of the Peterborough services are 12-car, a number of them are 8-car. There’s going to be some 387 activity on the peak Baldocks from the new timetable.

365 Networker

I know alsthom where supposed to be fitting ETCS to the 365s, so they may finally be doing this. The only other thing I can think of would be work being done on the traction packages.

D365

Veteran Member
I know alsthom where supposed to be fitting ETCS to the 365s, so they may finally be doing this. The only other thing I can think of would be work being done on the traction packages.
The movement started at Crewe, that would suggest it being one of the units in storage.

On Moderation
The movement started at Crewe, that would suggest it being one of the units in storage.
Perhaps it could be re-activation of a stored unit to provide fleet cover for the ETCS fitment programme?

365 Networker

They could just be using a stored unit to see how the new systems will work and to see if there are any major problems.

Geeves

Established Member
Longsight also has the contract on refurbishment of some kind on the 334s. Odd bedfellows in Manchester with the 365s being there too.

SansHache

The 365 is at Longsight for the first-in-class fitment of ETCS equipment by Alstom.
The only future work that I am aware of on Class 334s is bogie overhaul. This has been done previously in the Bogie Workshop at Longsight. The bogies are removed in Glasgow and shipped by road to Manchester.

D365

Veteran Member
Using a unit in storage makes sense to iron out any “first in class” issues, as long as the unit is in a satisfactory running condition.

365 Networker

The 365 is at Longsight for the first-in-class fitment of ETCS equipment by Alstom.
I suspected that was what the unit was there for. It will be interesting to see how ETCS works with an older unit. I assume this will also include some form of automatic train operation?

Fincra5

Established Member
I suspected that was what the unit was there for. It will be interesting to see how ETCS works with an older unit. I assume this will also include some form of automatic train operation?
A NR 313 has it installed.. so its more than possible.

I don't think 365s will need ATO, not sure that's the plan for the ECML South, is it? And they certainly won't be going through the Core.

365 Networker

I don't think 365s will need ATO, not sure that's the plan for the ECML South, is it? And they certainly won't be going through the Core.
I think you must be right - I found this article that seems to suggest that the ETCS will just be used for in-cab signalling and monitoring the drivers speed. So it’s basically just a more modern version of ATP. It also says that it could be possible for the 91s to run over 125 mph. The article is two years old though so the plans may have changed.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think you must be right - I found this article that seems to suggest that the ETCS will just be used for in-cab signalling and monitoring the drivers speed. So it’s basically just a more modern version of ATP. It also says that it could be possible for the 91s to run over 125 mph. The article is two years old though so the plans may have changed.
ETCS level 2, to be fitted on the ECML, allows signals to be abolished as long as all the trains using that route have the appropriate on-board equipment. This saves some cost (but adds cost for other equipment) and increases capacity a little. I believe this is the intention south of Peterborough, with the Peterborough area retaining signals presumably for the EMR and Anglia units. The Regulator requires cab signalling (such as this system) for operation above 125mph, but given the many other works that would be needed and the capacity implications of speeding up the fastest trains, I doubt we will see it here any time soon.

rebmcr

Established Member
ETCS level 2, to be fitted on the ECML, allows signals to be abolished as long as all the trains using that route have the appropriate on-board equipment. This saves some cost (but adds cost for other equipment) and increases capacity a little. I believe this is the intention south of Peterborough, with the Peterborough area retaining signals presumably for the EMR and Anglia units. The Regulator requires cab signalling (such as this system) for operation above 125mph, but given the many other works that would be needed and the capacity implications of speeding up the fastest trains, I doubt we will see it here any time soon.
Though I suppose it could be authorised on plain-line sections for delay recovery, even if the timetable remains 125mph.

D365

Veteran Member
Though I suppose it could be authorised on plain-line sections for delay recovery, even if the timetable remains 125mph.
That depends on whether there is enough clear line to make it worth the expense, but that's for another discussion.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It could, but that would require the many other measures I mentioned, including things like:
  • Ensuring platforms are clear of passengers before a >125mph train passes
  • Greater protection for track workers - I suspect there would be a total ban on working with lookouts
  • Strengthening of OLE on most routes
  • Replacement of some switches and crossings that can't withstand the greater forces
  • Possible work to structures to increase clearances and/or withstand greater dynamic forces
  • Likely closure of level crossings
  • Probably a higher standard of fencing and road vehicle incursion protection
I can't see that being justified on many routes even for daily service, let alone for disruption recovery.

CHAPS2034

Apologies for missing this thread and starting another one - now closed.

I assume this moved to Longsight under its own power?

Status
Not open for further replies.