• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 scrap movements + preservation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosscity

How many units are still at Crewe awaiting disposal?

I like to see the 37's hauling them as they pass through the West Midlands. Even on their last journey they look quite exotic for around here. On Tuesday the train was preceded by a brand new 730 by ten minutes. It would have been great to see new, old and very old altogether, but it wasn't to be!

Tue 23 Nov 2021 at 11:54. After more than 25-years service in the South-East and later in Scotland, BR Networker dual-voltage EMU 365509 heads away from Kings Norton. It is on its way to the scrapyard at Newport Docks Sims Group. EE Class 37 No 37884 CEPHEUS is in charge at the front. The working is [5Q76] the 08:29 from Crewe South Yard. Previously D6883. Numbers also carried: 37183.

by Ray, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mollman

Established Member
Seems like they've decided to go full speed ahead scrapping the 365s.

So some 365s will remain?
According to November Modern Railways all 365s are destined for the scrap man but there is a pause built into the programme just incase something unexpected pops up that would require 365s (like a class of EMU all having to be withdrawn due to faults - though unfortunately they're not compatible with the Midland Metro).

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
According to November Modern Railways all 365s are destined for the scrap man but there is a pause built into the programme just incase something unexpected pops up that would require 365s (like a class of EMU all having to be withdrawn due to faults - though unfortunately they're not compatible with the Midland Metro).
Why are they not compatible with the Midland Metro?

warwickshire

On Moderation

I like to see the 37's hauling them as they pass through the West Midlands. Even on their last journey they look quite exotic for around here. On Tuesday the train was preceded by a brand new 730 by ten minutes. It would have been great to see new, old and very old altogether, but it wasn't to be!

Tue 23 Nov 2021 at 11:54. After more than 25-years service in the South-East and later in Scotland, BR Networker dual-voltage EMU 365509 heads away from Kings Norton. It is on its way to the scrapyard at Newport Docks Sims Group. EE Class 37 No 37884 CEPHEUS is in charge at the front. The working is [5Q76] the 08:29 from Crewe South Yard. Previously D6883. Numbers also carried: 37183.

by Ray, on Flickr
Two left at crewe 365541 is one not sure off the other.

crosscity

Two left at crewe 365541 is one not sure off the other.
That's good to know. I'll keep a look-out for their last journeys. Hopefully they will be moved one unit at a time with a 37 to take them. It's hearing them that gets me - they sound just the same as they did when I saw them in the early seventies growling up the Calder Valley on coal trains.

D365

Veteran Member
525 is being used as a demonstrator of some kind (I think ETCS?) by Eversholt, but it’s currently at Bicester MOD in storage
It is (or perhaps was) the first-in-class for ETCS fitment.

by Ray, on Flickr
In all honesty - a bit heartbreaking to see it being towed away in serviceable condition.

D821

At 25 years old they don't seem old enough to be scrapped, particularly given the age of some of the units on the network.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
In all honesty - a bit heartbreaking to see it being towed away in serviceable condition.
That was my exact thoughts also, even the units own red tail lamps appeared to be in use rather than attaching a portable unit?

At 25 years old they don't seem old enough to be scrapped, particularly given the age of some of the units on the network.
Indeed!

DustyBin

Established Member

They’re victims of our failure to electrify and our lack of a coherent rolling stock strategy. These trains really shouldn’t be going for scrap.

Class360/1

They’re victims of our failure to electrify and our lack of a coherent rolling stock strategy. These trains really shouldn’t be going for scrap.
I agree. I respect 315’s and 43’s going to scrap as they are old and has a good life, but the 365’s are too young to die.

bramling

Veteran Member

It certainly doesn’t shout an industry which is well organised and has costs under control.

“We’ve ordered a load of units we didn’t need, have scrapped a load of recently refurbished half-life units, whilst still running numerous 40+ year old units running with no immediate replacement plan”.

Yes I know it’s never *quite* that simple, however fact is all 40 units could have been gainfully employed on GN as things have turned out. Meanwhile we have a 700 fleet where the numbers don’t quite match needs in various respects.

Are 365508 & 518 still at Peterborough or have they also moved to Doncaster to join the rest of the even numbered ones?

3973EXL

Established Member

cactustwirly

Established Member
It certainly doesn’t shout an industry which is well organised and has costs under control.

“We’ve ordered a load of units we didn’t need, have scrapped a load of recently refurbished half-life units, whilst still running numerous 40+ year old units running with no immediate replacement plan”.

Yes I know it’s never *quite* that simple, however fact is all 40 units could have been gainfully employed on GN as things have turned out. Meanwhile we have a 700 fleet where the numbers don’t quite match needs in various respects.

Especially when they could have been used to replace 313s on the south coast...
As in 387s move to 'Southern' with 365s replacing them on GN, and internal cascade of 377/4s to the Coastway services.

Seems madness that these are scrapped when Southern are operating ancient 313s with no replacement plan

Spirit555

One of the 365 at Crewe has moved nearestvthe mainline today. For possible removal ??

Mark

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind posters to keep discussion in this thread to Class 365 scrap movements.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else they are welcome to start a new thread (or find an appropriate existing one) in the appropriate forum section.

thanks

Jim

Established Member
37800 + 365505 365504 5Q76 0533 Doncaster to Nwwport Docks

ls2270

Established Member
Late notice change of units. It’s now just 365538 going on its last journey. Still 37800 hauling.

Status
Not open for further replies.