• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 395 Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Beeb, the Class 395s are having their bodies modified due to flexing.

Clicky here for the article.

This is all I can find on the SET website.

I've not heard anything about this, can anyone shed any light onto it?

Cheers
Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ah right - I can say I've noticed the wobbling - but always put it down to 140mph running and wind resistance in the tunnels.

Good to see SET rectifying the problem!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Has ride been complained about before, because i seem to remember complaints about ride and low passenger useage so a coah got removed? Or have a dreamt that up?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Has ride been complained about before, because i seem to remember complaints about ride and low passenger useage so a coah got removed? Or have a dreamt that up?

Much of the 'normal' media attempted to report that some double unit diagrams were being singled, and it ended up as such and such a number of 'coaches were being removed'. That might explain what you heard...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Much of the 'normal' media attempted to report that some double unit diagrams were being singled, and it ended up as such and such a number of 'coaches were being removed'. That might explain what you heard...

Thank you i did think it was weird when i heard it to be honest.....

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I do wonder if this is showing the flaw with Japenese high speed train technology when applied to Europe, their inability to cope with the transition between high speed lines and conventional lines? Unlike most of the rest of the world Japan developed their high speed network as totally segregated, with a big factor being the use of standard gauge wheras their normal network is narrow gauge. When we developed the HSTs, as well as running on conventional but good quality lines at 125mph, they also had to be designed to cope with running on old jointed track with wooden sleepers on secondary lines, often still at pretty good speeds. Whilst the secondary lines have improved, there are still sections of the HST network that involve running on old tracks. The TGVs too were developed both to run at very high speed on dedicated lines, but also to run at high speed on good conventional lines and to run onto much poorer quality secondary routes, in fact the investment in dedicated high speed lines in France did lead to the rest of the network being pretty neglected, and only fairly limited sections have been brought up to UK "high speed" standards to allow 200kph running by TGVs, basically the parts of the main TGV network that are on classic lines (such as the approaches to major cities). TGV routes off the main network still involve much running on jointed track with wooden sleepers under semaphore signals.
As well as the issue with track quality between different types of lines there is also the issue of cornering. High speed lines are pretty straight wheras conventional lines have sharp curves. The same issue effects light rail where the ability to take very sharp corners for street running does have a negative impact on running at higher speeds (DLR seems about the worst for that, the fast sections can be very interesting). As well as bogie design and yaw damper tuning, wheel profile also plays a role.

Crossover

Established Member
Its funny I have read this now as I got the chance to go on a 395 at the weekend when travelling with a friend
On the journey back up north I also found the train was rocking from side to side and in jest I commented it could do with some extra dampers!
Maybe they have hidden mics on their trains :P

upnorth71

I do wonder if this is showing the flaw with Japenese high speed train technology when applied to Europe, their inability to cope with the transition between high speed lines and conventional lines?

Not a "flaw", just an unforeseen complication that is being rectified with the addition of dampers. Actually, there are shinkansen trainsets (the so-called "mini-shinkansen" E3 series) that run on both dedicated HS lines as well as low speed (130km/h max line speed) lines with grade crossings. These units use both dampers as well as active suspensionto improve ride comfort. Anyway, problems such as this are par for the course when dealing with totally new railway rolling stock as well as the varying levels of trackwork standards these trains have to encounter.

Electrostar

And unlike the Class 90s and Networkers which were pulled out of service en masse due to severe technical problems during their early years the 395s are simply being modified on rotation. I think there have been far worse issues with trains. It happens and as long as problems are identified and there's no danger we should accept that and learn from it. The Desiros are good trains but even they suffered in the snow. I'm
Sure if we looked at every loco or multiple unit ever built we'd find problems with many of them.

Last edited:

O L Leigh

Established Member
Yesterday's Sub-Standard included a retraction with regard to it's reporting of this story. After blowing it all up into a massive problem they have had to concede that this is actually nothing more than an in-service modification that would be implemented as part of the regular maintenance regime.

O L Leigh

jon0844

Veteran Member
What about their story about the rush-hour tube train that nearly had a head-on collision when, from what I read elsewhere, all the safety systems worked and there were 3 people on the train.

The ES seems desperate to create big stories these days.

MCR247

Established Member
What about their story about the rush-hour tube train that nearly had a head-on collision when, from what I read elsewhere, all the safety systems worked and there were 3 people on the train.

The ES seems desperate to create big stories these days.

Is that the one where

Tube train routed into the path of another tube!!!!

Well actually, it was stopping 1km away in West Ham, when the incident was at Plaistow

Goldfish62

Established Member
Is that the one where

Tube train routed into the path of another tube!!!!

Well actually, it was stopping 1km away in West Ham, when the incident was at Plaistow

I think the important issue was that it was a wrong-side failure, ie train cleared to run west on eastbound line which should not be possible.

DesireToFire

I've certainly noticed the improved ride quality, it used to feel like a fast version of the dlr trains at 140, they added dampers really make a world of difference.

MCR247

Established Member
I think the important issue was that it was a wrong-side failure, ie train cleared to run west on eastbound line which should not be possible.

No, but what I meant is that they made the title and stuff suggest that the train ended up nose to nose with a train going in the other direction

Status
Not open for further replies.