• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 40 freightliner services in the early 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have seen on Flickr very nice shots of Class 40's with freightliner services around Crewe and North Wales in the early 80's. But does anyone know what was the maximum speed of these services?
I think freightliner services could run at 75 mph, but I am wondering if they could also run at that speed with Class 40's.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thanks for the reply! I suppose then they could but another thing was that they could reach that speed in the freightliner services, due to the weight of the load

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! I suppose then they could but another thing was that they could reach that speed in the freightliner services, due to the weight of the load
Yes fair point, and equally a train load of square boxes is perhaps not the most aerodynamic of loads too?

randyrippley

Established Member
The obvious question is: does anyone know the maximum allowed trailing load and the load timing profiles?

Gloster

Established Member
For what it is worth, the 1972-1973 WTT showed Freightliners being worked by Class 47 or 50 with two different sets of timings: D850 and D1050. (For clarity, this is two different trailing weights with both classes having the same timing as the other class for each weight.) Two Class 40 could maintain the same timings as the 47 and 50 on both trailing weights, but for D850 timings one 40 was only allowed 600, while for D1050 timings it was only allowed 765.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For what it is worth, the 1972-1973 WTT showed Freightliners being worked by Class 47 or 50 with two different sets of timings: D850 and D1050. (For clarity, this is two different trailing weights with both classes having the same timing as the other class for each weight.) Two Class 40 could maintain the same timings as the 47 and 50 on both trailing weights, but for D850 timings one 40 was only allowed 600, while for D1050 timings it was only allowed 765.

Interesting stuff @Gloster, thanks for digging that out.

Thanks for the information, very useful and interesting. In the shots on Flickr that I saw it is usually a single Class 40 on services from Crewe to Holyhead, I guess the load was less for a single Class 40.

furnessvale

Established Member
Yes fair point, and equally a train load of square boxes is perhaps not the most aerodynamic of loads too?
A worse aerodynamic load was the train of bare car bodies mounted on racks on carflats for the Rootes group. I have been reliably informed that a class 40 on that service was unable to reach authorised speed flat out down Shap.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
A worse aerodynamic load was the train of bare car bodies mounted on racks on carflats for the Rootes group. I have been reliably informed that a class 40 on that service was unable to reach authorised speed flat out down Shap.
That’s interesting to learn, thanks for posting that @furnessvale!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Thanks for the information, very useful and interesting. In the shots on Flickr that I saw it is usually a single Class 40 on services from Crewe to Holyhead, I guess the load was less for a single Class 40.
Double-headed class 40s were exceedingly rare, in my experience.
I don't think I ever saw a pair live. Were they even fitted for multiple working?
Double-headed 50s were a thing, of course, Crewe-Glasgow, and double 20s.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I don't think I ever saw a pair live. Were they even fitted for multiple working?
Blue star multiple. They regularly multi-ed as a 40+25 combination on BOC oxygen tanks to the Sheffield area (Ditton-Broughton Lane?). But I think the only time I saw 2x40 live was on railtours (I was on one, photographed the other). They were a Type 4 after all, if at the lower end of the power range!

Edit: weren't there also regular 40+26/27 workings in Highland Scotland? Or am I imagining that?

mainframe444

They were all built with blue Blue Star multiple working, however some engines had it removed as time went by as it was a source of faults and could be removed without causing too many issues.

The problem was that the multi plugs were mounted on the bogies, which meant additional plugs between the bogies and the loco, which was another point of failure.

m

Bevan Price

Established Member
I had a pair of 40s (both working) on a Euston - Liverpool service in the 1960s, but I agree it was not a common occurrence. I presume it was to get a second loco back to Liverpool, before or after an unbalanced working.

ex-railwayman

From what I can remember from memory of working for Freightliners was that Class 40s were only diagrammed to work the Manchester Trafford Park services to Holyhead as Manchester was the only location in the 1970s/80s to have Class 40 locos available from a home depot (Longsight). I worked at Birmingham Landor Street and the trailing weight for the Holyhead train was just under 900 tons, the diagram was for a Class 47, but, they had Class 40s on the service regularly, until they were all withdrawn by 1984/5, which used to work all the way down from Holyhead as both Bescot and Saltley drivers could work them as well as Chester/Crewe men. Other Freightliner daily services to/from Holyhead over the years were to Southampton, Willesden and Stratford (London), Birmingham and Manchester TP, Class 40s were put on/taken off at Crewe from electric locos that had worked up from the South of England. Services to Holyhead were generally heavily loaded, with traffic to Eire consisting of automotive products, Post Office traffic and a lot of mixed foodstuffs, SmedleyHP, Lockwoods, Crosse and Blackwell and Heinz all had factory outlets in Southern Ireland in those days and tinned foodstuffs are a heavy commodity in bulk. When I worked at Nottingham FLT we had weekly containers of Irish Peat in 20ft and 30ft boxes for delivery to various farms/garden centres in the East of England, that was another heavy commodity.

Cheerz. Steve.

randyrippley

Established Member
.................. When I worked at Nottingham FLT we had weekly containers of Irish Peat in 20ft and 30ft boxes for delivery to various farms/garden centres in the East of England, that was another heavy commodity.

Cheerz. Steve.
Ironic given the amount of peat in the fenlands

Status
Not open for further replies.