• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 442s - Now at the end of the road and to be withdrawn permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
That's the film right enough. My mate who filmed it is an ex-driver, who used to sign 442s. He seems pretty convinced, I don't know what to think myself.

I would say one of the best ways to tell would be by looking at the undercarriage of the motor coaches - the AC motored units have a fair amount of light grey covers / plastic on them, while the original ones do not. Unfortunately I can’t see any light grey covers on either of those 442s I’m afraid - and that’s without listening to the motor noise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
Correct. The only place an AC unit has moved under its own power so far is within the confines of Bournemouth depot

That's my understanding , though I'd imagine that #19 (AC) will venture out at some point in next few weeks, at night, down to the Weymouth SPZ for testing.

Quite why the 10-442 ran from Pompey to Guildford and back yesterdayy is a mystery to me unless they wanted to get it moving about as I believe it's been stuck down Pompey since march (surprised it wasn't sent back to bomo actually though at the time that would have required 2 drivers) .

Edit: content removed as inaccurate and potentially confusing.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
That's my understanding , though I'd imagine that #19 (AC) will venture out at some point in next few weeks, at night, down to the Weymouth SPZ for testing.

Quite why the 10-442 ran from Pompey to Guildford and back today is a mystery to me unless they wanted to get it moving about as I believe it's been stuck down Pompey since march (surprised it wasn't sent back to bomo actually though at the time that would have required 2 drivers) and surprised it ran considering the rail low adhesion forecast this weekend and that the Weymouth mainline trains are diverted over the Pompey direct this weekend. Would have been very embarrassing (and foreseeable) if it had broken down between Havant and Guildford and blocked the only open swr line between London and south coast, though hopefully a quiet day with lockdown and bad weather.

It ran yesterday, there was no works around during the day. I believe it was to test something on the units but I could be wrong.

theironroad

Established Member
It ran yesterday, there was no works around during the day. I believe it was to test something on the units but I could be wrong.

Oops my error, thought it was today!

Is the 442 running today?

There's a:

9P29 1100 wat to pmh
9P44 1315 pmh to wat
9P49 1600 wat to pmh

Why the class 9 today?

Anyone know?

Oops my error, thought it was today!

Is the 442 running today?

There's a:

9P29 1100 wat to pmh
9P44 1315 pmh to wat
9P49 1600 wat to pmh

Why the class 9 today?

Anyone know?

After some further investigation, seems like the base 9Pxx are still in RTT for today and have not been substituted whereas some of the others have been replaced by 1Pxx VSTs.

I'll guess no 442s out and about today.Screenshot_20201114-125824.png

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
Saturday T/T is based on Pre Covid using Pre Covid headcodes. NR (RMT) signallers had been threatening action if SWR continued to run Desiro stock as 9Pxx so I wonder if this will sadly escalate.

theironroad

Established Member
Saturday T/T is based on Pre Covid using Pre Covid headcodes. NR (RMT) signallers had been threatening action if SWR continued to run Desiro stock as 9Pxx so I wonder if this will sadly escalate.

Oh, that's intriguing.

Seems a bit odd wanting to run desiros as 9Pxx considering they were only 9P to distinguish the 442 on the panel for signallers because of the route restrictions and I can see the signaller point of view tbh.

wonder if it's a financial thing for swr having to create a new STP/VST 1Pxx path even though the 9Pxx wouldn't run.

all a bit odd really.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
It was 2410 & 2420, they have been at Fratton for a few weeks now. 2406, 2414, 2417 & 2423 returned to Bournemouth last month.

spark001uk

Established Member
"9P49" currently just departed Haslemere. I see 1P29 and 1P37 also ran with the incorrect 9Pxx today. Strange, as all the other 9Pxx workings today have been cancelled and replaced.

549C 0713 Wolverton to Bournemouth Depot is running 84 late passing Kings Langley - 37884 hauling 442422

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
5Q86 0713 Wolverton Bournemouth pass Addlestone Jn 1107 (111 late).
Consist: 37884-975875-977087-6330-442422-6338-6378-6379

theironroad

Established Member
5Q86 0713 Wolverton Bournemouth pass Addlestone Jn 1107 (111 late).
Consist: 37884-975875-977087-6330-442422-6338-6378-6379

I see the return 581C 1456 ex Bournemouth depot to Wembley HS passed Southampton on time.

Whether it is carrying another 442 is the question???

spark001uk

Established Member
I see the return 581C 1456 ex Bournemouth depot to Wembley HS passed Southampton on time.

Whether it is carrying another 442 is the question???
I'm pretty sure it's just 37884 and the barriers. Running as 5O86. Still another one (maybe 2?) units finished at Wolverton to come back south. Nothing in the system for that as yet though.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Yes, just the Class 37 plus six barriers. I missed the inbound working, but managed to see the return in the sidings at Poole. Some nice clag from the 37...

theironroad

Established Member
The return of units that have been modded has picked up in last couple months.

Not sure what the tally is . I believe a total of 18 X 5-442 were kept for swr use.

It would be ironic if all the work finally gets done and then the DfT decide there's no need for them in whatever post covid world timetable they're planning with SWR.

Yes, just the Class 37 plus six barriers. I missed the inbound working, but managed to see the return in the sidings at Poole. Some nice clag from the 37...

Someone ( a Jon Biglowe) has uploaded a brief video to you tube:

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
From another point of view, the ongoing procedure does seem to be making services maximum length wherever possible for social distancing. These back in service could release more desiros to reinforce this, and I still regularly see some services running 5 or 8 up.
(Think I said service too many times there :lol:)

Peter Sarf

Established Member
From another point of view, the ongoing procedure does seem to be making services maximum length wherever possible for social distancing. These back in service could release more desiros to reinforce this, and I still regularly see some services running 5 or 8 up.
(Think I said service too many times there :lol:)
That is my optimistic assumption - keeping capacity up (ignoring the £s).

theironroad

Established Member
That is my optimistic assumption - keeping capacity up (ignoring the £s).

I assume (with zero research) that once the population is vaccinated, for which by most people sounds like before end of next year, then social distancing as such will no longer be a rule and guidance from government.

Passenger numbers are unlikely to be recovered to even 80-90% for a few years at least.

Having said that, the money for the 442 project is committed and/or spent and b) 2+2 seating for the fast pompeys might attract people back who fear a return to a 2+3 seating which has zero personal space!

spark001uk

Established Member
I guess whatever they do there's still testing/training etc to complete, which will take a while.
Yet to hear how the ac units sound actually, though being Kiepe I've an awful feeling they're going to sound pretty much like the 455s.

theironroad

Established Member
Just happened to be looking through May issue of Railway Magazine which says that 2422 went to Wolverton on May 21, so as that was 2422 returning yesterday, it was at Wolverton for 1 day short of six months. Wonder why so long?

Nym

Established Member
I guess whatever they do there's still testing/training etc to complete, which will take a while.
Yet to hear how the ac units sound actually, though being Kiepe I've an awful feeling they're going to sound pretty much like the 455s.
Also cab desks to replace, static converters to replace and a few other tweaks before it can actually be used in anger.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind posters that this thread is for the discussion of Class 442s. If anybody wants to discuss anything else then please do so in another existing or new thread.

thank you

fgwrich

Established Member
Also cab desks to replace, static converters to replace and a few other tweaks before it can actually be used in anger.
Out of interest, does anyone happen to know what stage the cab desk replacement is at? Are they being done at Wolverton at the same time as the AC work or to be done at Bournemouth / Eastleigh?

Nym

Established Member
Out of interest, does anyone happen to know what stage the cab desk replacement is at? Are they being done at Wolverton at the same time as the AC work or to be done at Bournemouth / Eastleigh?
Yes.

Bournemouth Depot.

Is in the press release below (also in multiple press outlets, but the press release the primary source for these);

Design and installation of desk panels for South Western Railways​

DB ESG is pleased to be able to announce that it has signed a contract with South Western Railways​

(Derby, 15. July 2020) DB ESG is pleased to be able to announce that it has signed a contract with South Western Railways for the turnkey design, approvals, supply, installation and testing of 36 new desk panels for the 18 Class 442 units operating on the London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour route.

These new panels are required following the re-tractioning of these units, which will result in considerable alterations to the in-cab controls, including the removal of the brake system pressure gauge. The customer decided that these modifications warranted a new modern and clean layout for the driver desks, hence this new order.

DB ESG will be subcontracting the panel construction to the Swiss, family- owned company EAO AG, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of high-quality switches, keyboards, sophisticated control elements, and complete HMI control units. EAO will provide pre-assembled, renewed panels, indicators and switches.

DB ESG have a proven track record in delivering complex fleet modification programmes, including work in vehicle cabs, for example ETCS freight vehicle integration. They will create a prototype to check cab wiring and design Modifications are suitable including evaluation of the design from a human factors’ perspective. Installation will occur at Bournemouth traction and rolling stock maintenance depot.

Neil Drury, Engineering Director at South Western Railway
, said, “We are pleased to confirm DB ESG will be taking on the work to design and fit new modern desks in the drivers’ cabs which forms part of our major overhaul to AC traction for our Class 442 fleet.”

Nick Goodhand, Managing Director, DB ESG added: “We look forward to forging new relationships with South Western Railways and EAO AG on this very interesting project.“

Status
Not open for further replies.