• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

https://www.southwesternrailway.com...th-26m-investment-into-isle-of-wights-railway

Rail Minister Chris Heaton-Harris will visit Brading Station today as the Department for Transport principally funds South Western Railway’s proposals to improve the sustainability of the railway linking Ryde to Shanklin.

This follows a multimillion investment announcement by Network Rail into improvements to renew Ryde Railway Pier where trains connect with ferries to Portsmouth.

The proposals were developed in partnership with key stakeholders on the island, including Isle of Wight Council and Solent Local Enterprise Partnership. They have agreed to jointly contribute £1 million to fund a new passing loop at Brading, helping to deliver an even interval half-hourly service to the pier.

The Department will support the investment into improving the tracks and other infrastructure to support the new trains.

Rail Minister Chris Heaton-Harris said:

“These trains have diligently served passengers since 1938 – coinciding with the first ever edition of the Beano and the maiden voyage of the record-setting Mallard steam train - so this upgrade is a long overdue boost.

“This investment in the Island Line means more punctual, reliable trains and better connections to ferry services, supporting local residents, businesses and tourism. This underlines our determination to provide passengers across the country with the modern rail network they expect.”

Andy Mellors, Managing Director of South Western Railway, said:

“This is a great day for the Isle of Wight. I want to pay tribute to our team at Island Line who have kept the current 1938 stock going for so long and to all of the stakeholders who helped us develop our proposals. I look forward to our continuing partnership as we deliver the next exciting chapter in Island Line’s history.”

Responding to the news Isle of Wight Council leader Dave Stewart said:

"I am really pleased to welcome the decision by the Department for Transport to invest millions into Island Line. Today’s announcement follows a long and detailed process involving South Western Railway, the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership, the Isle of Wight Council and our MP Bob Seely aimed at securing a long term solution to Island Line.

"Islanders can now look forward to new electric trains, major infrastructure improvement and track upgrades, including a passing loop at Brading, enabling the synchronisation of services with the ferries - all of which supports our desire for sustainable and environmental friendly contribution to our Island connectivity.

"This is great news for the Island, great news for South Western Railway and most importantly great news for the users of Island Line. A big thanks to the government for listening and supporting the island once again."

Gary Jeffries, the Chairman for Solent Local Enterprise Partnership, said:

"A renaissance of our coastal communities is a strategic priority for the Solent LEP as we strive to raise productivity levels and spread prosperity across the Solent. Improved digital and transport connectivity is a key enabler of this renaissance , and we are delighted to be working with SWR, the Department for Transport and Isle of Wight Council to unlock funding for the creation of a new passing loop at Brading Station, allowing a more standard 30 minute service."

David Dickson, Director Network Rail Southern Region, said:

"Our plans for the Isle of Wight will see us making a multi-million pound investment to improve the island's infrastructure rail infrastructure and include refurbishing Ryde Pier. We are looking forward to working with SWR to deliver these improvements and to ensuring that together we continue to provide a train service for passengers for years to come."

Island Line is restricted in terms of the size of units that can run on it and so SWR has chosen Vivarail's Class 484 trains. These totally refurbished former London Underground trains will provide more capacity, better accessibility, passenger information systems and wi-fi. The two carriage trains will also have connecting gangways allowing guards to move freely throughout the whole train, collecting revenue and providing passenger assistance.

Vivarail CEO Adrian Shooter said:

"It is a great privilege for Vivarail to be part of the wholesale upgrade of the Island Line. Vivarail will be building 3rd rail trains to make best use of Island Line's electrified track , this follows on from our diesel units for West Midlands Railway and battery/diesel trains for Transport for Wales - and is an example of how flexible the train is. I look forward to taking the first ride and enjoying the picturesque views of the Isle of Wight from the comfort of the new trains."

The first train is expected to arrive on test in early summer 2020, with track improvement works due to take place over the winter of that year.

The proposals submitted to the DfT followed an initial stakeholder consultation back in the autumn of 2017. Feedback from that consultation was then considered by the Island Forum, made of stakeholders including: IOW Commuity Rail Partnership, IOW Steam Railway, the IOW Bus and Rail Users Group, Southern Vectis, KILF, Wightlink and Hovertravel, with detailed proposals reported back to a steering group.

Isle of Wight MP Bob Seely said: “This is great news for the Isle of Wight. With the support of local campaign groups, I have relentlessly made the case for securing the future of Island Line, not just as part of my constituency’s public transport provision but also as part of the National Rail Network. I am grateful to my colleagues in Government for supporting our local train service, and particularly to the Rail Minister for visiting the Island today to make this announcement with SWR.

“This represents the first significant upgrade to the route for over 50 years, and I look forward to liaising with SWR, Network Rail and the DfT to ensure that the benefits are delivered in a timely manner, with minimal disruption. Island Line serves residents, commuters, visitors and students on a daily basis – and I know how much these rail users will welcome this overdue announcement.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The question I have to ask is why it'll be next Summer before they can get a train over there, given D Stock ran quite happily in third rail territory (i.e. the Richmond and Wimbledon branches) in its previous existence?

Never mind...Answered my own question. Forgot Island Line was pure third rail territory (i.e. without a bonded centre rail), so the 484s will at least need some conversion work, just as the Standard stock and 38TS did before them.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The question I have to ask is why it'll be next Summer before they can get a train over there, given D Stock ran quite happily in third rail territory (i.e. the Richmond and Wimbledon branches) in its previous existence?
The bogies and axles have to be adapted to run on “normal” third rail, on the London area shared routes the LU stock still uses 4th rail traction return, with the mainline stock using running rail return.
Normally traction return via the wheelsets uses a “brush box” which is visible, (with cable connections), on the outer end of a number of axles throughout the train.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At a guess it'll be because Vivarail are a small company with a full order book for TfW, and there may also be adjustments needed to the infrastructure on the Island Line. The D-stock has also been sat idle for a few years now, so won't be in a "plug 'n' play" situation any longer.

EDIT: I also made the same 3rd rail/4th rail mistake you did! :oops:

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Not able to run as 2-car without modifications.
Compressors need to be provided and would think pneumatic camshafts will be replaced and have the AC motors on 230s

pompeyfan

Established Member

Never mind...Answered my own question. Forgot Island Line was pure third rail territory (i.e. without a bonded centre rail), so the 484s will at least need some conversion work, just as the Standard stock and 38TS did before them.

You’d also have to wait for them to gut and re-do the inside

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It'll be interesting to see what door configuration they go for, as the current stock has the typical LU arrangement which is probably only needed at the height of summer. Blocking off some doors probably wasn't possible on the 483s but clearly is on the 230s/484s. I presume they'll not be getting a toilet fitted unlike the mainland examples, as Ryde depot won't have tanking facilities.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
You’d also have to wait for them to gut and re-do the inside
What they do to the inside is down to what the client wants. If they are happy to live with the D78 interior and don't want toilets, as is likely given the precedent of the current fleet, then very little needs doing to the interiors.

More significantly they replace the motors and install up-to-date traction electronics - unless they've gone for a really bargain basement option keeping the electromechanical system from the D78s. One hopes they are also replacing the 50-year-old power supply.

Nevertheless a good announcement that secures the future of the line. Though I wonder why the local Tory MP gets his name in lights - we couldn't be heading for an election could we?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Compressors need to be provided and would think pneumatic camshafts will be replaced and have the AC motors on 230s
AC motors would certainly reduce maintenance costs but would they require the power supply to be beefed up?

pompeyfan

Established Member
SWR have promised to add lots to the inside, it’s detailed in the press release.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It'll be interesting to see what door configuration they go for, as the current stock has the typical LU arrangement which is probably only needed at the height of summer. Blocking off some doors probably wasn't possible on the 483s but clearly is on the 230s/484s. I presume they'll not be getting a toilet fitted unlike the mainland examples, as Ryde depot won't have tanking facilities.

Can't tanking facilities be included in the upgrade ?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Given that the 483s will reportedly be down to one operational unit for a while from Wednesday, replacements can't come soon enough, and some sort of updating of the rolling stock, quaint and quirky as the current operation is, is long overdue. It is to be hoped that third rail Vivarail units will prove more reliable than their diesel counterparts!

hwl

Established Member
AC motors would certainly reduce maintenance costs but would they require the power supply to be beefed up?
Not necessarily through probably. They will be more efficient and the units lighter.
Some the power supply issues are likely to be down to joined track and poor bonding on the jointed track.

Rick1984

While they look good in rendering it would be nice if there Island Line could maintain it's own identity.

Think just all over dark blue with yellow Stirpe would look good

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Can't tanking facilities be included in the upgrade ?
It could well be, and my assumption that toilets won't be included might be wrong. But space is at a premium at the depot, and as the line has managed so long without toilets there's probably not much in favour of doing so.

If dumping on the tracks was still acceptable, the tanking issue wouldn't be a problem... but that's progress! ;)

A toilet would take up too much space in a 2 car unit anyway
Precisely. If it is acceptable to travel from Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour without a toilet, a sub 30 minute ride to Shanklin should not even be considered necessary, with all the complications and costs it entails.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
While they look good in rendering it would be nice if there Island Line could maintain it's own identity.

Think just all over dark blue with yellow Stirpe would look good

Out of necessity the Island Line has played up the "heritage" aspect of the operation, so perhaps refitting the wooden floors and late-70s seat covers would be in order! ;)

A toilet would take up too much space in a 2 car unit anyway
It doesn't on Marston Vale. I agree it's unlikely but space on the trains themselves probably isn't a big problem.

In any case for avoidance of doubt, I mentioned toilets and doors because fitting an accessible toilet requires one of the doors to be blocked off.

hooverboy

On Moderation
I doubt it.

it'll be a fairly basic (read cheap)option I'm sure.
they'll put in aircon but not mess around with control gear or motors.

no need for bogie mods on D78 stock.
it's a 750v/0v configuration they have, not a +420v/-210v

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I doubt it.

They’d still need mods to have traction return current via the wheels surely?

hwl

Established Member
I doubt it.

They are replacing the motors and control gear on the other stock they are supplying, it reduces maintenance needs significantly.

Journeyman

Established Member
Excellent news. I like that it's carrying on the former-Underground tradition on the Island!

It's blindingly obvious that the 38TS is now in a terrible state and can't continue, so this investment is very welcome. I'm assuming a brief closure will be necessary to alter platform heights and possibly upgrade the power supply system, as well as put the loop back at Brading. Very good that they'll finally get a decent half-hourly service back again too.

I'll miss the 38s, they're great fun to bounce along on, but this is very long overdue, and I'm glad to see the line has a decent future ahead of it.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
From the illustration, it looks like the cab reinforcement from the 230 is being carried out? And the press release cleats they're fitting the gangway between carriages

pompeyfan

Established Member
From the illustration, it looks like the cab reinforcement from the 230 is being carried out? And the press release cleats they're fitting the gangway between carriages

I think you’re misunderstanding, the gangways will be between the coaches in the unit, not between units.

Meerkat

Established Member
The extra internal height of the D trains will make them feel quite a bit more spacious.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
About time! I've never been to the Isle of Wight but the ex-London Underground Class 483 trains running passenger services at 81 years old must mean they're literally THE only vehicles to run in everyday passenger service.

I hope most or all the 81-year-old stock gets a place in preservation!

Journeyman

Established Member
About time! I've never been to the Isle of Wight but the ex-London Underground Class 483 trains running passenger services at 81 years old must mean they're literally THE only vehicles to run in everyday passenger service.

I hope most or all the 81-year-old stock gets a place in preservation!

I suspect it'll all go for scrap, but it won't be a major loss - it's been very heavily altered, and London Underground have a heritage unit of 1938 Stock in authentic and absolutely pristine condition, so the trains are represented in preservation already.

Status
Not open for further replies.