• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
4005 is still property of Vivarail with mileage runs being undertaken by SLC, SWR staff are not to touch it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter E

She just started test runs today, but will presumably need a certain number of fault free miles before entering service. https://www.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/posts/684461569641557/

In other news, 001-4 have all now received 5G antennas above each cab as fitted to some of the 483s a few years back - more testing or is Island Line going to get full 5G wi-fi?

Many thanks for the reply. A visit soon to the I.O.W looks good.

Chilternblue

Planning a visit to the Isle of Wight, is it possible to view or identify all 5 units in a single visit?
Thanks for any assistance.

Gloster

Established Member
Planning a visit to the Isle of Wight, is it possible to view or identify all 5 units in a single visit?
Off the top of my head, I would say only if you are lucky with their positioning around the depot. Several visits at the end of the morning peak and either side of the afternoon one might increase you chances, but if one is inside all day, you will probably be out of luck. That said, I haven’t been past St John’s Road for quite a few weeks.

Chris125

Established Member

It's possible, but only if there's nothing inside the shed - you might get lucky though if it's a warm day and they've got the doors open.

Last edited:

Dougal2345

My first visit to 484-era IoW yesterday.

Only an hourly service was running, sadly - every other train cancelled.

Liked the new trains, mostly. Annoying "flange squeal" in the Ryde area. Also think the window tinting is excessive, the lovely blue and green landscape is reduced to a dull sepia-tinted vista for passengers.

On my journey back, after a mooch around Ryde I got back to Esplanade only to be informed that the train back along the Pier was cancelled due to vandalism. So unexpectedly had to take a very brisk walk along a very long pier.

Still, it feels like a new start for the line... It would be nice to see these trains going further afield on the Island, giving it a modern transport system and offering healthy competition for the private bus monopoly.

DelW

Established Member
On my journey back, after a mooch around Ryde I got back to Esplanade only to be informed that the train back along the Pier was cancelled due to vandalism. So unexpectedly had to take a very brisk walk along a very long pier.
A southbound train suffered a broken window, apparently between Smallbrook and Brading. After a short delay at Brading station, it was allowed to continue to Shanklin, but was then taken out of service, meaning its return working was cancelled.

geoffk

Established Member
It would be nice to see these trains going further afield on the Island, giving it a modern transport system and offering healthy competition for the private bus monopoly.
Or even an integrated public transport network.

Status
Not open for further replies.