• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

VEP3417

is there a reason (in law or a safety booklet ect) that the line has to be so far back? i thought it might have been so in the slam door days if a door was opened whilst going slow into the station, they people wouldnt get hit by it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
is there a reason (in law or a safety booklet ect) that the line has to be so far back? i thought it might have been so in the slam door days if a door was opened whilst going slow into the station, they people wouldnt get hit by it
Without registering for membership you can no longer see the relevant rail group standards. But as I’ve said earlier the yellow lines are only supposed to be provided as a precaution against turbulence caused by passing trains, and are required to be behind the tactiles, and their position is also defined.

So you shouldn’t see them unless the high speeds apply, and not at a terminus platform. Other uses are then piggy backed on them where they already exist, eg someone mentioning I think that they can define a “safe dispatch corridor”.

Slam doors open on a moving train are no longer possible so should not be relevant to any decision anymore.

Veteran Member
There must be a particular risk of getting sucked off at Sandown. I'll bear that in mind should I visit the island.
That's Smallbrook BTW. A junction in the middle of nowhere, but you might get a connection... :)

PS back on topic, I suspect the platform is minimum width rather than the tactile paving too far back.

Gloster

Established Member
Trains do run non-stop through Smallbrook when the Steam Railway isn’t running, but there shouldn’t be any passengers on the platform when there are no connecting steam trains...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's Smallbrook BTW. A junction in the middle of nowhere, but you might get a connection... :)

PS back on topic, I suspect the platform is minimum width rather than the tactile paving too far back.
I think that’s definitely the most likely reason.

Chris125

Established Member
Ultimately the yellow line is where the designers of the pre-fab platform system put it - presumably at a distance that will always be compliant with the relevant standards wherever it's used.

Not sure they need a separate line mind, I'd have thought the bright yellow tactile strip would suffice?

the sniper

Established Member

Thanks for the intel! I'd have been disappointed if I'd gone to the wrong place... I mean, not been aware of the risk there.

cav1975

Gosh, the trains must normally go pretty fast through there. That large yellow line seems to be quite a way back from the platform edge.
In fact Smallbrook Junction is the only Island Line station that regularly sees trains passing through non stop. Even on Steam Railway operating days not all trains stop so there's a reasonable justification.

DelW

Established Member
In fact Smallbrook Junction is the only Island Line station that regularly sees trains passing through non stop. Even on Steam Railway operating days not all trains stop so there's a reasonable justification.
Though I think Island Line trains only run through nonstop at times in between steam services, when there wouldn't be anyone on the platform anyway. (For those who don't know the station, there's no non-rail access, and no real reason for anyone to wait there between two steam services).

Speeds of the 484s might be faster now the track has been aligned and tamped, but it's hard to imagine much wind turbulence from passing trains in the days of the 483s bouncing their way along that stretch. You'd be at similar or more risk when standing on a pavement as a truck or bus passes, and there are no yellow lines there.

Chris125

Established Member
Probably easier to repaint the lines than replace the tactile... tiles.

No paint required - as you can see below the yellow line is attached just like the tactile strip, or you can fit blanks which match the rest of the platform surface.

D365

Veteran Member
Hoping that Island Line reopening is on-track. I'm due to visit Ryde in a few weeks.

Chris125

Established Member
No news feels like good news at the moment - there was a train running after 8PM this evening, perhaps the first to run so late since services stopped in January?

fgwrich

Established Member
One small and slightly surprising thing noted from the Hidden London video posted in the other thread is that the 484s have a different and rather smart Moquette covering the seats, than SWRs now familiar “ski chalet” flat cloth covering. They also have a small luggage rack at the end of each vehicle.

Attachments

• 104CDC93-A114-469E-B8A1-CED88B969823.jpeg
    104CDC93-A114-469E-B8A1-CED88B969823.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 31938A6B-8B77-4228-9A27-62DF88EE8CB2.jpeg
    31938A6B-8B77-4228-9A27-62DF88EE8CB2.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 4795C202-B244-40DE-9052-CE1619C3699B.jpeg
    4795C202-B244-40DE-9052-CE1619C3699B.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 176

Gloster

Established Member
Is that luggage rack for passenger use or is it somewhere for the guards to put their clobber? It looks as though it may be behind a door.

spark001uk

Established Member
Is that luggage rack for passenger use or is it somewhere for the guards to put their clobber? It looks as though it may be behind a door.
Yes as above, it's just the carriage interconnecting door that's been opened against it that's all.

DelW

Established Member
RTT this morning shows the first down train reaching Shanklin 10 late, and the return working leaving 10 late and reaching St John's 25 late, where it possibly terminated.

Not an encouraging start it would appear!

Goldfish62

Established Member
RTT this morning shows the first down train reaching Shanklin 10 late, and the return working leaving 10 late and reaching St John's 25 late, where it possibly terminated.

Yet nothing on Journeycheck about delays.

Also Journeycheck shows 2 cars but the train has been running as 4 cars.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
Also Journeycheck shows 2 cars but the train has been running as 4 cars.

I thought a shortage of rolling stock meant only one train was running instead of two. Why was the train running as 1 train of 4 carriages, instead of running 2 trains of 2 carriages each?

Gloster

Established Member
And now it appears, according to the County Press and Island Echo, that Wightlink have started refurbishment work in their terminal at Portsmouth Harbour. This will last several months and groups of ten or more should consider using the nearby car ferry..

Sorry: should have been in the Island Line Upgrade thread.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I thought a shortage of rolling stock meant only one train was running instead of two. Why was the train running as 1 train of 4 carriages, instead of running 2 trains of 2 carriages each?

I thought the plan was to use the other path to continue crew training and fault free running?

MotCO

Established Member
I thought the plan was to use the other path to continue crew training and fault free running?

Is there no capacity to run three trains on the network, even if it means only shuttling back and fro beween a couple of stations, or running a few minutes behind a timetabled train?

Woods

Delays and cancellations this morning due to debris on the line apparently, presumably linked to the high winds. Not train related.

Status
Not open for further replies.