• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris125

Established Member
Day 6, first train fault of any significance?

15min delay after a reset at Lake, my guess would be door related given my (surprisingly busy) trip a little earlier:

https://twitter.com/SimonZev/status/1457021498615533568
Back on the train and a slight hiccough. Train being reset. But with the lights out we can appreciate the sunset from the D-Stock’s massive windows! Happily, we’re back on the move!

Edit: someone pressed the passcom...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43021HST

Established Member
Just wondering if there's a brief summary of the electrical and mechanical gubbins that's original on the 484s and what's new. The impression I got from the wiki page was that only the bodyshells and bogies have been reused. But after watching the Geoff Marshall video, there was something familiar sounding about them aside from the AC howl, was the original D stock gearing re-used?

This has probably been discussed earlier in the thread my apologies in advance if this is rehashing old discussions.

Chris125

Established Member
A genuine failure yesterday, the allocated unit - presumably 003? - was unable to do the first round trip "due to a problem with the traction equipment". It was swapped for 004 later in the day.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Just wondering if there's a brief summary of the electrical and mechanical gubbins that's original on the 484s and what's new. The impression I got from the wiki page was that only the bodyshells and bogies have been reused. But after watching the Geoff Marshall video, there was something familiar sounding about them aside from the AC howl, was the original D stock gearing re-used?
From my recent visit the familiar pneumatic camshaft, motor generator and compressor sounds are gone, however the brake release sound is retained and yes, I think the gearing after the motor has been kept.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From my recent visit the familiar pneumatic camshaft, motor generator and compressor sounds are gone, however the brake release sound is retained and yes, I think the gearing after the motor has been kept.

The Marston Vale units certainly sound a bit like Tube trains with the compressors going permanently - classic "DC traction motor sound" is actually mostly from straight-cut gearing.

MotCO

Established Member
Been the case after the first couple of days. No point in running four cars if it only needs two.

But are they running 2 trains, each of 2 carriages on a half hour service, or is it still only hourly?

But are they running 2 trains, each of 2 carriages on a half hour service, or is it still only hourly?
The half hourly service is due to start on Monday, 13th December. Departures from Shanklin are xx08 and xx38 until the 19.38. It changes a bit after that.

Chris125

Established Member
The half hourly service is due to start on Monday, 13th December. Departures from Shanklin are xx08 and xx38 until the 19.38. It changes a bit after that.

I don't believe that's been confirmed yet, and until they find a bit more recovery time it seems unlikely tbh.

geoffk

Established Member
A mate of mine, who lives on the IoW, posted on Facebook about an hour ago "004 on its own today - packed!", suggesting that a four-car train is needed.

Gloster

Established Member
According to the County Press SWT is saying that no date has been set for a half-hourly service to return. This is in answer to the recent reports of it restarting on December 12. The current service level is ‘amply meeting demand’.

D365

Veteran Member
A mate of mine, who lives on the IoW, posted on Facebook about an hour ago "004 on its own today - packed!", suggesting that a four-car train is needed.
I’ve been on 004 today. Not packed at all, unless he means the group of people in orange.

005 is not at Ryde Depot yet. Four car trains won’t happen until all five units are in service.

Mikey C

Established Member
According to the County Press SWT is saying that no date has been set for a half-hourly service to return. This is in answer to the recent reports of it restarting on December 12. The current service level is ‘amply meeting demand’.
They would say that wouldn't they :rolleyes:

Chris125

Established Member
Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
The current service level is ‘amply meeting demand’.
What a load of nonsense. If there was only one train a day it would probably be ‘amply meeting demand’ because almost all would-be passengers would use other forms of transport. While the service is only hourly it will not meet the needs of some who would use the train if it was more frequent, and instead they will use the more frequent bus service or drive.

Gloster

Established Member
What a load of nonsense. If there was only one train a day it would probably be ‘amply meeting demand’ because almost all would-be passengers would use other forms of transport. While the service is only hourly it will not meet the needs of some who would use the train if it was more frequent, and instead they will use the more frequent bus service or drive.
That was SWT’s claim. Make of it what you will.

Skymonster

Established Member
That was SWT’s claim. Make of it what you will.
Indeed. However, it seems bizarre that SWT can just decide to run an hourly service on the basis that it is sufficient to meet demand. Isn’t there a specification for what service should be operated? Can a TOC - any TOC - arbitrarily reduce frequency and justify the action by claiming the lower frequency is adequate to meet demand? A local newspaper report claims SWT previously said it did not envisage a half-hourly service until next Spring - if that was the case, the line will have gone thr best part of 15 months without a full service. Again, can a TOC just decide not to run a full service without any accopunt ability?

Three of the new units have been in service so far, and four are on the island. Island Line previously managed a two train service (most/some of the time) with only two serviceable 483 units so only having three out of five 484s available now hardly seems like an excuse either. I can’t help wondering if this hourly service ‘amply meeting demand’ is a cover for not yet having enough trained staff or some other issue that prevents half-hourly.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Why would South West Trains have anything to do with Island Line?

I think it is however fair to suggest the hourly service is due to a shortage of train crew as well as the ongoing issues at Brading.

Skymonster

Established Member
Pedants :D Anyways it wasn’t me who started with SWT, it was the post above mine from @Gloster and I just carried it on. 8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.