• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
The passing loops at St Johns and Sandown are being used, even in spite of the 1tph service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom

Hypothetically, and only a thought inspired by this (not an accusation). How would the system code it if the train crew not as familiar with new stock couldn't get the train to move ('a fault with the train') but the root cause was actually the driver forgetting to press a particular switch or something ('an issue with train crew' maybe)?
In public systems, probably the sequence you suggest (if it does ever get changed later on). In internal industry systems, it could either start with TG, MD or MN and then move between them. The way the cancellation data comes down from TRUST means that the first reason code for a train appears and doesn't get subsequently changed even if it is in TRUST. The latest DAPR might be an interesting bedtime read if you're having issues sleeping.

The realtime reporting from the island is dependent on the allocation systems (Genius, essentially) being up to date with the right rolling stock as there's no signalling-borne infrastructure there to report against, it's all GPS derived via the gateways which are conditional on allocations being correct.

Dunfanaghy Rd

I've had an evil thought: Are the units still under a warranty of any description? If so, the temptation to report a unit failure, rather than a human one, is obvious.
Pat

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Hypothetically, and only a thought inspired by this (not an accusation). How would the system code it if the train crew not as familiar with new stock couldn't get the train to move ('a fault with the train') but the root cause was actually the driver forgetting to press a particular switch or something ('an issue with train crew' maybe)?

We have a winner. That's the logical answer based on the events described.

Chris125

Established Member
003 swapped for 004 at St Johns in the morning for some reason - no services cancelled though by the looks of it?

ajs

Had my first run on a 484 today from. Shanklin to Ryde Pier Head.
Much to my surprise, today was the first day of a 2 train per hour service, for parts of the day.

The additional trains run either to/from St Johns Road or Ryde Esplanade.

As there is only 1 fast cat per hour it seems that the the non connecting trains are stopping short.

There were 2 SWR Ambassadors on the trains telling passengers about the additional services.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Had my first run on a 484 today from. Shanklin to Ryde Pier Head.
Much to my surprise, today was the first day of a 2 train per hour service, for parts of the day.

The additional trains run either to/from St Johns Road or Ryde Esplanade.

As there is only 1 fast cat per hour it seems that the the non connecting trains are stopping short.

There were 2 SWR Ambassadors on the trains telling passengers about the additional services.

There are two trains an hour during weekday peaks and Saturday daytime.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s also a current discussion of the 20th Dec Island line timetable over in the timetables sub- forum:

paulkidger

The bogies and axles have to be adapted to run on “normal” third rail, on the London area shared routes the LU stock still uses 4th rail traction return, with the mainline stock using running rail return.
Normally traction return via the wheelsets uses a “brush box” which is visible, (with cable connections), on the outer end of a number of axles throughout the train.
Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the connection on the outer ends of the axles were relatively small and not capable of taking the full traction currents. Their purpose was to prevent stray currents from passing through the bearings and possibly causing damage. I thought the brush boxes were on the axles between the wheels and much heftier; designed to take the traction currents into the axles and then into the wheels.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the connection on the outer ends of the axles were relatively small and not capable of taking the full traction currents. Their purpose was to prevent stray currents from passing through the bearings and possibly causing damage. I thought the brush boxes were on the axles between the wheels and much heftier; designed to take the traction currents into the axles and then into the wheels.
It’s possible, the modern installations I’ve researched such as Desiros and Electrostars it’s done on the outside ends. I suppose there must be other designs.

aleggatta

Generally speaking, inboard brush boxes were in use for vehicles with high inrush DC currents, modern traction electronics which provide a soft start generally allow for brush boxes on the outer ends of an axle only, with the only exception being those with hollow axles (not that I’m aware of any such vehicles off the top of my head!)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Generally speaking, inboard brush boxes were in use for vehicles with high inrush DC currents, modern traction electronics which provide a soft start generally allow for brush boxes on the outer ends of an axle only, with the only exception being those with hollow axles (not that I’m aware of any such vehicles off the top of my head!)
What I also see on most modern stock is there are many axles with the return brush gear fitted, possibly a high majority, so the current is split into many parallel paths.

paulkidger

What I also see on most modern stock is there are many axles with the return brush gear fitted, possibly a high majority, so the current is split into many parallel paths.
Whereas, as the response to my earlier comments, there needs to be provision for traction currents, maybe this is the case where stray currents are being led away from the bearings. When you consider a roller bearing, there are only 'lines' (as opposed to 'areas')of contact between the races and the rollers and any current passing between them is likely to cause erosion of the rolling components.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Whereas, as the response to my earlier comments, there needs to be provision for traction currents, maybe this is the case where stray currents are being led away from the bearings. When you consider a roller bearing, there are only 'lines' (as opposed to 'areas')of contact between the races and the rollers and any current passing between them is likely to cause erosion of the rolling components.
I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at. The axle end brush gear still bypasses the bearings for that very reason.

paulkidger

I’m not quite sure what you’re getting at. The axle end brush gear still bypasses the bearings for that very reason.

I was trying to suggest (maybe I should have explained better) that lighter weight connections to the axle ends could be standard practice to prevent stray currents from passing through the bearings on all axles, whilst, as in the previous comments, a heavier duty brush box would be necessary to handle the high traction currents returning through the axles and wheels.

RedPostJunc

Had my first ride in a 484 on New Year's Eve. It seemed OK for the Island line, but I did notice three things:

The PA in my coach was badly distorted;
The ride was quite bumpy in places;
When a guy with a bicycle got on, there was nowhere he could put it without blocking the doors, the passage between the seats, or both.

Attachments

• 484 Train Announcement.mp3
    380 KB

Goldfish62

Established Member
Had my first ride in a 484 on New Year's Eve. It seemed OK for the Island line, but I did notice three things:

When a guy with a bicycle got on, there was nowhere he could put it without blocking the doors, the passage between the seats, or both.
Well assuming the wheelchair space was free surely he could have put the bike there.

The combination of the stock's rubber suspension with jointed track is never going to be more than adequate.

Chris125

Established Member

Can't recall audio issues being mentioned before and it's been fine on my journeys, hopefully just an isolated incident with that unit/carriage? Ride quality will always be a challenge on some stretches due to the underlying geology but it's still a ridiculous improvement.

As for stowing bicycles that's not a new issue but never really a problem outside of summer, and the ability to run 4-car trains again should help alleviate that.

Chris125

Established Member
Does the fact that there have been no posts for 2 weeks imply that all is running well?

Pretty much, lack of staff meant services finished early for a few days but there's only been a handful of cancellations related to rolling stock - despite the two train service timekeeping and reliability remain very good.

ExRes

Established Member
Reported on se-gen that 484005 should be moved to Eastleigh East Yard tomorrow ahead of road transfer to the Island

* Wednesday 16th February *

Reported on se-gen that 484005 was moved to Eastleigh Yard last night (Tuesday) by 50008 and taken away by lorry this morning

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
According to the Island Echo it has arrived at Sandown, although the County Press reported a delay as it got stuck in the town for a while. It is reporting that the last 483 should leave tomorrow. However, we are currently back to an hourly service due to ‘a member of traincrew being unavailable.’

One of the 483 coaches passed through Wootton at 12.25 today (Thursday). Presumably heading for the Fishbourne ferry.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
Weeks of near faultless running have come to an end after 004 failed at Brading "due to a problem with the traction equipment" - however once again it seems the unit could self-recover back to the depot, and services resumed with 003 just an hour later.

Island Line is suspended this lunchtime (Monday), but although its operator was originally warning it could be until as late as 6pm, it now says trains should be running again by 2pm. Problems have been caused by a fault on a train near Brading.

It means the line between Shanklin and Ryde Pier Head is blocked. Operator South Western Railway (SWR) said it train crew is in contact with its fleet maintenance team, which is investigating and working towards fixing the fault.

Peter E

Weeks of near faultless running have come to an end after 004 failed at Brading "due to a problem with the traction equipment" - however once again it seems the unit could self-recover back to the depot, and services resumed with 003 just an hour later.

Any update please on 484005, has in been in passenger service yet? Thanks for any information.

Chris125

Established Member
Any update please on 484005, has in been in passenger service yet? Thanks for any information.

She just started test runs today, but will presumably need a certain number of fault free miles before entering service. https://www.facebook.com/groups/355569249197459/posts/684461569641557/

In other news, 001-4 have all now received 5G antennas above each cab as fitted to some of the 483s a few years back - more testing or is Island Line going to get full 5G wi-fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.