• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
The rails including the third rail, look incredibly rusty. I'm surprised that the shoe makes electrical contact.

alf

On Moderation
But isn’t there a tight curve & a narrowing of tunnel structure within the tunnel so it may not be the easy fit it looks like from the video?

But the fact is they get through at 25 mph without a scratch.

So good news & a kick in the pants for the cynics, official & armchair, who bleated for years that nothing but tube stock would fit.

paul1609

Established Member
The rails including the third rail, look incredibly rusty. I'm surprised that the shoe makes electrical contact.
The 3rd rail on the channel tunnel freight loops and the international platforms at Ashford don't see any shoes for years on end but seem to work okay in an emergency albeit it with a bit of sparking.

Chris125

Established Member
But isn’t there a tight curve & a narrowing of tunnel structure within the tunnel so it may not be the easy fit it looks like from the video?

Of course, which illustrates why we got so lucky with the D78s - they really are at the limit of what can fit.

D365

Veteran Member
So good news & a kick in the pants for the cynics, official & armchair, who bleated for years that nothing but tube stock would fit.
It’s almost like Vivarail completed the necessary gauging assessments before tendering their units..!

MotCO

Established Member
I've heard a secret team working at night have been taking bricks out of the wall that were in the way :lol:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I've heard a secret team working at night have been taking bricks out of the wall that were in the way :lol:
Nonsense. :lol: I heard they lined the outside of the train with rough sandpaper, each trip taking a thousandth of an inch off the tunnel lining. Hence the number of runs backwards and forwards. Nothing to do with staff training or fault-free mileage accumulation!

Chris125

Established Member
Preparations appear to be stepping up with an early start today, the first time I've heard a train before 7am since the line closed - after weeks of 002 and 003, it also looks like they've moved onto testing (fault free running?) the other pair.

Preparations appear to be stepping up with an early start today, the first time I've heard a train before 7am since the line closed - after weeks of 002 and 003, it also looks like they've moved onto testing (fault free running?) the other pair.

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed for the 1st November.

Veteran Member
They don't appear on RTT today :(

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m not sure RTT is seeing all the test runs, I’d noticed earlier in the week that some trains seen on the pier webcam had no RTT “Actual” timings shown.

…but there is a service on the pier as I write this at 1346, that is on RTT.

KendalKing

Established Member
Any news on the fifth unit?

dorsetdesiro

Anyone reckon 002 may have got damaged as it seems to be missing "Island Line" labels on parts of the train? Or possibly it was simply forgotten about putting these on?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Anyone reckon 002 may have got damaged as it seems to be missing "Island Line" labels on parts of the train? Or possibly it was simply forgotten about putting these on?
I think it was incomplete on arrival, there are earlier discussions about 002 missing yellow lines, in fact the video in post #1427 shows an Island Line logo missing at one corner of 002.

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member

They never have, train movements aren't updated live on the island - paths may get uploaded but test trains run as required, the ryde pier webcam is the best way to see what's actually happening.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
They never have, train movements aren't updated live on the island - paths may get uploaded but test trains run as required, the ryde pier webcam is the best way to see what's actually happening.

A friend tells me that they have started reporting on their control map system though and show as late or overdue.

Bob Price

They are showing in the Railcam diagrams. These are a few from yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015_171525_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015_171525_com.android.chrome.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 88

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Gosh, the trains must normally go pretty fast through there. That large yellow line seems to be quite a way back from the platform edge.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Gosh, the trains must normally go pretty fast through there. That large yellow line seems to be quite a way back from the platform edge.
It’ll either be there for the 60 mph freights, or the 100 mph passenger services. o_O

or as is so often the case not actually needed there at all.

the sniper

Established Member

There must be a particular risk of getting sucked off at Sandown. I'll bear that in mind should I visit the island.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
There must be a particular risk of getting sucked off at Sandown. I'll bear that in mind should I visit the island.
Back in the day that was far more likely round Kings Cross :s.

TBF it is probably the one size fits all approach to safety and once someone suggests a safety feature then it is rather unlikely that any one would be so brash as to propose removing/not-doing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.