• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 700s at Ely

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
The last couple of weeks, every time I've seen the 0845 and/or 0947 Ely -> Kings Cross it has been a 700. I thought that in 'normal' times everything north of Cambridge was 387s. Are these booked to be 700s now?

If so, ugh - the 0947 is my regular commuting train, and I'm starting to head back to the office, at least occasionally. At least this morning I got 'lucky' and the 700 that showed up had seat-back tables and wifi. (As an aside, it also had RPIs, which is the first time I've seen those on GN since last March).

(I suppose at some point these services will be extended back to start at Kings Lynn, as they were in 2019. But no sign of that happening until at least next May).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
The last couple of weeks, every time I've seen the 0845 and/or 0947 Ely -> Kings Cross it has been a 700. I thought that in 'normal' times everything north of Cambridge was 387s. Are these booked to be 700s now?

If so, ugh - the 0947 is my regular commuting train, and I'm starting to head back to the office, at least occasionally. At least this morning I got 'lucky' and the 700 that showed up had seat-back tables and wifi. (As an aside, it also had RPIs, which is the first time I've seen those on GN since last March).

(I suppose at some point these services will be extended back to start at Kings Lynn, as they were in 2019. But no sign of that happening until at least next May).

Since they went to the latest "Covid timetable" (September IIRC?) there is the pleasure of 700s north of Cambridge again. They have essentially reverted to the pattern used during the first phase of the King's Cross blockade, which interworks the 2Cxx and 1Txx services. By the same token there's now numerous 387s on the stopping services. Generally everything to Kings Lynn is 387 though, I can't recall but there might be an exception or two.

MikeWM

Established Member
Since they went to the latest "Covid timetable" (September IIRC?) there is the pleasure of 700s north of Cambridge again. They have essentially reverted to the pattern used during the first phase of the King's Cross blockade, which interworks the 2Cxx and 1Txx services. By the same token there's now numerous 387s on the stopping services. Generally everything to Kings Lynn is 387 though, I can't recall but there might be an exception or two.

Super. So I guess I now have to decide whether I put up with a 700 each day I'm going to the office, or get out of bed 15 minutes earlier and get the 0932 GA ex-Norwich...

Basically all the Ely terminators are 700s again, unsure if this is a long term plan or will be relatively short lived like last time, the Kings Lynns are still solid 387 though. At least you will still get a seat on the 09:47, the 09:32 that I regularly use has been getting quite busy ELY - CBG as are the earlier GA services from Norwich, think the cheaper GA only fares have a lot to do with that.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The rear 1st class compartment is your friend on a 700, especially if you board at the origin station ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member

1621 Cambridge to Ely and 1716 return was 700041 when I used it the other week. I actually didn't mind that, it was something unexpected and different in an area I rarely visit.

Every other train I saw/travelled on that day was 387/1 though.

Super. So I guess I now have to decide whether I put up with a 700 each day I'm going to the office, or get out of bed 15 minutes earlier and get the 0932 GA ex-Norwich...

Really? 700s are that awful that you would rather cram into a 755 that's full?! If you're only doing Ely to Cambridge, surely it isn't that bad! When I observed the 0932 recently, it was heaving, and I was glad to have been on the Kings Cross not long before it.

A nice and empty 700 or a crammed 755, hmm yeah I know what I'd go for! Hint, it's not the small train...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
1621 Cambridge to Ely and 1716 return was 700041 when I used it the other week. I actually didn't mind that, it was something unexpected and different in an area I rarely visit.

Every other train I saw/travelled on that day was 387/1 though.

Yes, pretty sure "every" Ely terminator being a 700 isn't even close to being true - it's only occasional

Really? 700s are that awful that you would rather cram into a 755 that's full?! If you're only doing Ely to Cambridge, surely it isn't that bad! When I observed the 0932 recently, it was heaving, and I was glad to have been on the Kings Cross not long before it.

A nice and empty 700 or a crammed 755, hmm yeah I know what I'd go for! Hint, it's not the small train...

Exactly my thoughts; 8-cars, probably only half-loaded, only for 15 minutes, sat empty at Ely so pick whichever seat you like.

That's exactly the sort of journey 700s were designed for!

Established Member
The 1621 Cambridge - King's Lynn was booked for a 700 during the blockade so I'd imagine it is again now, as far as I'm aware it's the only time 700s have reached King's Lynn in service. From my observation I'd say around 40% of Ely terminators are 700s on weekdays, none at weekends.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes, pretty sure "every" Ely terminator being a 700 isn't even close to being true - it's only occasional

Exactly my thoughts; 8-cars, probably only half-loaded, only for 15 minutes, sat empty at Ely so pick whichever seat you like.

That's exactly the sort of journey 700s were designed for!

I didn't see too many Ely terminators, I was only using the railway for mandatory journeys between cycle rides when I was over there. I had 700021 on the delayed 0845 the one morning, and I'm sure I saw the inward working for the following Ely starter as I made my way to Cambridge. That also appeared to be a 700, but I was more interested in my cuppa at the time to make careful notes.

700021 was very empty when I did it too, the busiest coach I saw was the one I was in as it had one of the cycle spaces in it. Most of the train, based on my observations of the platform before boarding, was that it would be a pretty empty train. The 0854 that day, which GN tried suggesting I should have got instead of the late 0845, was heaving.

My view is in the current climate, why choose to board a short train that will be busy, with people that don't have multiple options to choose from, and increase one's chances of catching the dreaded c-word when there's a nice long train to go for. I had a similar option the other day, board a 2 car 170 which had a huge crowd waiting for it or wait an extra 10 minutes for an IET to come along with no shortage of seats!

MikeWM

Established Member

Well, probably not if the 755 is full, no :) I assumed it wouldn't be too bad with the capacity improvements given by the 755s, but if it is usually pretty full, I'll just take the extra 15 minutes in bed. Which I probably would have anyway, to be fair :)

It is rather irritating to not know if there will be wifi or not on the train to work though. That's more of an issue than the fact it is a 700 per se.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

My view is in the current climate, why choose to board a short train that will be busy, with people that don't have multiple options to choose from, and increase one's chances of catching the dreaded c-word when there's a nice long train to go for. I had a similar option the other day, board a 2 car 170 which had a huge crowd waiting for it or wait an extra 10 minutes for an IET to come along with no shortage of seats!

The only advantage to specifically aiming for the Greater Anglia service is for the Greater Anglia only fare to/from Cambridge. At busy times you're likely to be standing on it for the privilege!

It is rather irritating to not know if there will be wifi or not on the train to work though. That's more of an issue than the fact it is a 700 per se.

Oh, I do agree, the 700 wi-fi roulette is a bit irritating!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm quite fortunate then, as despite Three's rubbish signal coverage I have 12GB of data every month which is far in excess of what I use. So WiFi is not a huge issue for me, just as well as a 50MB limit on the likes of GWR doesn't last too long!

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes, pretty sure "every" Ely terminator being a 700 isn't even close to being true - it's only occasionally

I’m not up to speed with the current diagrams, however in the February timetable (which this is essentially a modified replica of) there were four 700/0 diagrams, one of which didn’t come out to play until the evening. So that works out at 3x 700/0 on the Ely-KX-Cambridge-KX-Ely diagrams.

There are some differences this time, so it could well be that slightly more Undesiros are out than last time round. At some point I will have a look when I have time.

mtmikethom

The only advantage to specifically aiming for the Greater Anglia service is for the Greater Anglia only fare to/from Cambridge. At busy times you're likely to be standing on it for the privilege!

Oh, I do agree, the 700 wi-fi roulette is a bit irritating!
I am amazed (or maybe not) after being at Cambridge around 4pm a few times lately of the amount of people that prefer to cram into the 1600 3 car Birmingham train just to to go to Ely (especially with bikes) rather than get on an 8 car 700 train 3 minutes later which has been at around 20% capacity when I have seen it, better to stand in a 170 than sit on an ironing board in a 700 I guess

TheEdge

Established Member
I am amazed (or maybe not) after being at Cambridge around 4pm a few times lately of the amount of people that prefer to cram into the 1600 3 car Birmingham train just to to go to Ely (especially with bikes) rather than get on an 8 car 700 train 3 minutes later which has been at around 20% capacity when I have seen it, better to stand in a 170 than sit on an ironing board in a 700 I guess

I've been working and travelling on trains around Cambridge for almost 10 years now. It's never been any different. In my previous life as a conductor the amount of arguments I had as people wanted to cram cycles or themselves onto a full and standing 3 car 170 for the 1712 (as it was) GA departure to Norwich being refused and made to wait the less than 10 minutes for an almost empty Ely or Lynn service was mad.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Oh yeah that baffles me too. Cram on the 3 car Turbo star with an half empty 8 - car literally sat right behind.

Nothing to do with comfort (happens with 387s too, and also with 365s), everything to do with just getting the first train you see.

Status
Not open for further replies.