• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

samuelmorris

Established Member
"Rationale"? By a gigantic stretch of the imagination, possibly!!!
Wanting to give a brand name to a signature product is fine, even if there's no real logic to the name. Doing so for a service which cannot have direct competition due to the way railways work is a little odd. Doing so on the most bland, soulless iteration of a standardised commuter train is just downright bizarre, especially when it's a brand for a franchise that will no doubt soon cease to exist, and that situation is known before the trains are introduced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
Wanting to give a brand name to a signature product is fine, even if there's no real logic to the name. Doing so for a service which cannot have direct competition due to the way railways work is a little odd. Doing so on the most bland, soulless iteration of a standardised commuter train is just downright bizarre, especially when it's a brand for a franchise that will no doubt soon cease to exist, and that situation is known before the trains are introduced.

The train now approaching platform one is the south western railway arterio service to London Waterloo caling at ...

Such a ring to it...

Or not!

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Paragon
Nova 1
Nova 2
Nova 3
Aurora
Castle

Azuma is quite a silly name.
What I have noticed over the last few years (decade ?) is there seems to be an obsession with names starting and ending with "A", "E", "I" ,"O" and/or "U". Usually starting and ending with "A". Not necessarily only the railways do this. It seems to be a fashion. I think it is poncy show off. I switch off as soon as I see these names as I assume there is nothing interesting under the surface. It is only a name after all.

And yes - I have no idea which Nova is which.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The train now approaching platform one is the south western railway arterio service to London Waterloo caling at ...

Such a ring to it...

Or not!
I really hope they don't do that. Nobody cares, there aren't even any other operators at Waterloo. It's just going to declarify audio announcements.

theironroad

Established Member
I really hope they don't do that. Nobody cares, there aren't even any other operators at Waterloo. It's just going to declarify audio announcements.

Tbf, they've never used desiro over the last decade plus in announcements,so unless someone really wants to look foolish I doubt there is any danger of it happening

samuelmorris

Established Member
Tbf, they've never used desiro over the last decade plus in announcements,so unless someone really wants to look foolish I doubt there is any danger of it happening
Desiro is only the name of the rolling stock though, not a branded service like Arterio. Otherwise they'd be referred to as Aventras.

theironroad

Established Member
Desiro is only the name of the rolling stock though, not a branded service like Arterio. Otherwise they'd be referred to as Aventras.

Fair point. Maybe the branding and marketing consultants weren't in railway vogue when the desiros were introduced.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Where has it been said, officially, that this is a branded service?
There's a whole article about the Arterio as a product. Doesn't mean that they intend to advertise the train services themselves as Arterio to the same extent LNER have done with 'Azuma', but if you're vinylling a stylised version of your chosen name on the side of a fleet, it's definitely to some degree a branded service. You never saw that with the existing fleet.

Energy

Established Member
I still don't understand why Arterio is the name? Its just a fairly standard commuter train but longer, not like a Pendolino. To most people it is just a train, they take it for commuting because they need to get somewhere not because they want to take a train. When it needs a name, say in a press release saying about 'our new trains', they can just call it an Aventra, like 'our new Aventra trains'. GA have been great in not putting a pointless brand and when the train needs a name they call it either the manufacturer or the model.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'd have thought most commuters are happier about the fact that the trains will have toilet facilities, air conditioning, a non-garish interior colour scheme, and, most importantly, more space, than about their name, model, manufacturer or even age...

theironroad

Established Member
I still don't understand why Arterio is the name? Its just a fairly standard commuter train but longer, not like a Pendolino. To most people it is just a train, they take it for commuting because they need to get somewhere not because they want to take a train. When it needs a name, say in a press release saying about 'our new trains', they can just call it an Aventra, like 'our new Aventra trains'. GA have been great in not putting a pointless brand and when the train needs a name they call it either the manufacturer or the model.

Personally, I don't see why we need to have whole fleet names line azuma, pendolino etc as all I want when I get on a train at Euston is to get to Glasgow or wherever.

Arterio was chosen as the swr network spreads out from the heart of Waterloo across southwest London and down to the country and coast,

Energy

Established Member
than about their name, model, manufacturer or even age...
Indeed, sometimes a name is useful to differentiate them from the rest of the fleet, in this case they can use Aventra.
Personally, I don't see why we need to have whole fleet names line azuma, pendolino etc as all I want when I get on a train at Euston is to get to Glasgow or wherever.

Arterio was chosen as the swr network spreads out from the heart of Waterloo across southwest London and down to the country and coast,
Pendolino is fine in my opinion, it is a model name and is useful to differentiate from the Voyagers and apart from the announcements it isn't put everywhere. Apart from the announcements its only really used when they do need to differentiate between the two fleets.

Arterio is a bad name IMO. SWR does go to the coast but not with these trains. The reason the name was chosen is that the commuter routes are the arteries of SWR, which is an ok reason but it doesn't justify the name to me for what is just a long commuter unit. Arterio is also not a word, making it a pain with autocorrect although pendolino also has this problem.

Meglos

701011 seen at Wimbledon today. Not a very good shot as taken from a District Line service, using a mobile phone.
701011.jpeg

Goldfish62

Established Member
Doing so on the most bland, soulless iteration of a standardised commuter train is just downright bizarre, especially when it's a brand for a franchise that will no doubt soon cease to exist, and that situation is known before the trains are introduced.
The franchise is due to terminate in March, replaced by a two year direct award management contract extendable for up to two years.

Established Member
Indeed, sometimes a name is useful to differentiate them from the rest of the fleet, in this case they can use Aventra.

Pendolino is fine in my opinion, it is a model name and is useful to differentiate from the Voyagers and apart from the announcements it isn't put everywhere. Apart from the announcements its only really used when they do need to differentiate between the two fleets.

Arterio is a bad name IMO. SWR does go to the coast but not with these trains. The reason the name was chosen is that the commuter routes are the arteries of SWR, which is an ok reason but it doesn't justify the name to me for what is just a long commuter unit. Arterio is also not a word, making it a pain with autocorrect although pendolino also has this problem.

The explanation for the name is understandable, but it just leads to "So what?", which may be what you were thinking as you wrote that post. Still, Dusty Bins and Plastic Pigs are equally pointless. But Arterio isn't likely to catch on with the public, especially if SWR itself disappears.

Energy

Established Member
he explanation for the name is understandable, but it just leads to "So what?", which may be what you were thinking as you wrote that post
Its more "it makes sense, but why?" as the name to me is pointless when it is just a train to most people.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The explanation for the name is understandable, but it just leads to "So what?", which may be what you were thinking as you wrote that post. Still, Dusty Bins and Plastic Pigs are equally pointless. But Arterio isn't likely to catch on with the public, especially if SWR itself disappears.
To be fair, Dusty Bin is a reference to a game show, and Plastic Pig is an enthusiast's nickname based on their appearance. Neither were ever official names.

I don't expect enthusiasts to ever call them Arterio - they'll just be called 701s...

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Arterio is a bad name IMO ......... The reason the name was chosen is that the commuter routes are the arteries of SWR, which is an ok reason but it doesn't justify the name to me for what is just a long commuter unit.
Another potential 'problem' with it might be during times of disruption, with jokes at their expense about clogged arteries.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not so sure SWR as a name will disappear. Are the government likely to go to the bother of creating a new identity if/when First/MTR bow out?
First/MTR aren't going anywhere. There's no reason for them to now the slate has been wiped clean and they're about to start a new management contract with no revenue risk.

Goldfish62

Established Member
As far as I'm aware SWR would be kept as a name anyway, regardless of who operates the management contract.
Agreed. The only way I see the name disappearing is if in future years there's a wholesale restructuring the contract areas with two or more being merged and even then the name could still remain for services out of Waterloo.

Bessie

Back to 701s - is driver training and unit testing continuing during Lockdown 3.0? Assuming I get back on a train in May on Waterloo-Reading line (my local station is Martins Heron) will it still be a 458?

Bigfoot

Back to 701s - is driver training and unit testing continuing during Lockdown 3.0? Assuming I get back on a train in May on Waterloo-Reading line (my local station is Martins Heron) will it still be a 458?
458/455/450 all sorts on the reading line currently.

All driver training currently suspended.

pompeyfan

Established Member
458/455/450 all sorts on the reading line currently.

All driver training currently suspended.

On a complete tangent, I’m aware 444s were never gauged beyond Virginia water, but would any physical work be required to allow a 444 down the Reading road?

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The training of SWR drivers on 701s hasn’t even begun yet.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The latest news says entry into service "early summer assuming no further unexpected delays".

I think you can safely assume you'll be on a 458, 455, 450 or 707.