• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

DorkingMain

I think it is not to be taken literally. More implies occasional trips to Basingstoke/Haslemere probably first/last thing or weekends depending on diagramming.
In theory they'll be cleared across most of the network, and all crews inwards of Basingstoke / Farnham should sign them + the routes. But the chances of one going beyond Woking / Guildford seem slim.

A 707 once made it to Southampton with a Waterloo crew, but that was a one-off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davews

Is training allowed now that freedom day has passed? Hopefully we will see some action soon in that direction.
If I had caught the next train from Waterloo this afternoon I may well have seen 5Q51 somewhere between Virginia Water and Staines.

Bigfoot

Is training allowed now that freedom day has passed? Hopefully we will see some action soon in that direction.
If I had caught the next train from Waterloo this afternoon I may well have seen 5Q51 somewhere between Virginia Water and Staines.
When a unit that works, completes it's fault free running and is handed over fit for service then training may commence. The way things are going I'd be surprised to see any in service before the end of the year. Maybe one or two might make an appearance just for a press/franchise tick exercise. All depends if they can get them working or not.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The latest Modern Railways reports that the ORR had granted authorisation for 5-car 701s to operate in multiple in passenger service, as per other Aventras.

Monty

Established Member
The latest Modern Railways reports that the ORR had granted authorisation for 5-car 701s to operate in multiple in passenger service, as per other Aventras.

Not going to happen anytime soon, as well as software issues there are a number of mechanical/physical ones too. You will be lucky to see these in service next year.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not going to happen anytime soon, as well as software issues there are a number of mechanical/physical ones too. You will be lucky to see these in service next year.
I wasn't inferring anything to do with when they'd enter service. Merely reporting that the multiple working authorisation has been given.

Personally, I'm assuming now that they're never actually going to enter service and SWR is just going to have to make do with what it's got until GBR takes over rolling stock allocation.

big_rig

As a punter on the line I find it all quite mad. I guess the only upside is that probably next to no everyday passengers know about the new trains in the first place anyway - the most recent reference I can find to them in the non-rail press is January.

Domh245

Established Member
Personally, I'm assuming now that they're never actually going to enter service and SWR is just going to have to make do with what it's got until GBR takes over rolling stock allocation.

Why would GBR affect rolling stock allocation? If these units are junk, then they won't enter service anywhere, if they are eventually made acceptable (I expect they will, it'd be very surprising if any of these issues were so severe that it'd be cheaper and easier to start from new) then they'll work out their lives on the SW suburban routes as intended

Goldfish62

Established Member
Why would GBR affect rolling stock allocation? If these units are junk, then they won't enter service anywhere, if they are eventually made acceptable (I expect they will, it'd be very surprising if any of these issues were so severe that it'd be cheaper and easier to start from new) then they'll work out their lives on the SW suburban routes as intended
There's a lengthy article on rolling stock allocation under GBR in the latest issue of Modern Railways. Basically, the conclusion is that GBR will allocate the stock they consider suitable to each Passenger Service Contract.

I wasn't implying the 701s would get allocated elsewhere. I was suggesting they'll be rejected.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The 710's are working fine out of LST so down below the underframe there is no difference to 701's so curious what the issues are here but given 720's have also stalled im surmising its across both train groups.

GBR definitely needs to coordinate a national rolling stock strategy as thats integral to how electrification gets rolled out. In the short term nothing will change but its perfectly straightforward for TOCs to assign the rolling stock leases to a different commercial entity.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 710's are working fine out of LST so down below the underframe there is no difference to 701's so curious what the issues are here but given 720's have also stalled im surmising its across both train groups.

GBR definitely needs to coordinate a national rolling stock strategy as thats integral to how electrification gets rolled out. In the short term nothing will change but its perfectly straightforward for TOCs to assign the rolling stock leases to a different commercial entity.
Agree with all that.

The main technical difference between the 710/2&3 and the 701 is that the 710s are dual voltage, so in theory the 701 should be less complex!

It took around a year from start of testing to service entry for the 710s (including multiple software rewrites), when the initial plan was about six months, so the 701s have easily exceeded that so far.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Agree with all that.

The main technical difference between the 710/2&3 and the 701 is that the 710s are dual voltage, so in theory the 701 should be less complex!

It took around a year from start of testing to service entry for the 710s (including multiple software rewrites), when the initial plan was about six months, so the 701s have easily exceeded that so far.
They all have the same MITRAC inverters underneath feeding same motors on same bogies only missing a transformer but doesn't materially reduce complexity but these are operationally proven systems. Also the 710's are battle proven on the Watford DCs.

About time Roger Ford woke up one of his informed sources and found out what is happening.

Goldfish62

Established Member
About time Roger Ford woke up one of his informed sources and found out what is happening..

About time Roger Ford woke up one of his informed sources and found out what is happening.
Indeed. And the 720s took a mere eight months between start of testing and service entry, both bang in the middle of the first year of the pandemic, but the delays seemed to attract far more attention from the railway press than the 701s have to date.

fgwrich

Established Member
Indeed. And the 720s took a mere eight months between start of testing and service entry, both bang in the middle of the first year of the pandemic, but the delays seemed to attract far more attention from the railway press than the 701s have to date.
I think, given that it's the lacklustre South Western Railway, everyone just seems to have given up hope. I was advised recently that they've had close to 1000 software modifications so far ; Derby and Software seems to be a continually recurring theme.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think, given that it's the lacklustre South Western Railway, everyone just seems to have given up hope. I was advised recently that they've had close to 1000 software modifications so far ; Derby and Software seems to be a continually recurring theme.
That's compared to what I was told were around 40 software versions before TfL accepted the 710s.

I agree that there does seem to be a general malaise with anything involving SWR, even where in many cases it's not SWR's problem.

I guess though staff are happy for there to be an indefinite delay given the changes in working practices involved in operating these trains.

hwl

Established Member
....Derby and Software seems to be a continually recurring theme.
Derby doesn't do any software, the Bangalaore office does (also see Talent 3 (Aventra's continental cousin) and OBB saga)

Dan15812

Probably would have been better to have chosen a Chinese manufacturer to build them. Cheaper costs and I bet they would have long entered service if so! :lol:
They seem to be so slow at doing anything in the UK it seems!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Probably would have been better to have chosen a Chinese manufacturer to build them. Cheaper costs and I bet they would have long entered service if so! :lol:
Late delivery of trains which then don't work is not an issue confined to the UK.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just look at Bombardier's botched delivery of the Class 4758 (Talent 3) units to ÖBB...and the Talent 2s to various operators in Germany.
Yes, and Skoda's botched delivery of trains to DB.

There's quite a long list!!!

Carlisle

Established Member
There's a lengthy article on rolling stock allocation under GBR in the latest issue of Modern Railways.
The SRA & DFT played some rolling stock chess, is this fundamentally different or superior.?

Last edited:

Bn2020

I guess the 701s are, realistically, limited to 3rd rail land? If SWR don't introduce them to service where could they, realistically, go?

As a user of the Woking Stopper service I'll be glad to see the back of the 455/456's with their lack of Air Conditioning and Power Provision. Its hardly to be able to top-up the juice of phones/headphones after a shift, or if they unexpectedly run down.

TRAX

Established Member
I guess the 701s are, realistically, limited to 3rd rail land? If SWR don't introduce them to service where could they, realistically, go?

As a user of the Woking Stopper service I'll be glad to see the back of the 455/456's with their lack of Air Conditioning and Power Provision. Its hardly to be able to top-up the juice of phones/headphones after a shift, or if they unexpectedly run down.
As with all 3rd rail trains, they have the provision to be equipped with 25 kV OHLE equipment if needed.

Domh245

Established Member
As with all 3rd rail trains, they have the provision to be equipped with 25 kV OHLE equipment if needed.

As you note, they're relatively power source agnostic. The question then becomes where needs/wants 75 (eqv) 200m relatively basic specced EMUs, with apparently multiple show stopping issues. Even assuming the issues are sorted but they don't end up at SWR, there's fairly few places they'd fit (as is)

Chiltern006

southeastern or southern potentially? southeastern can get rid of everything bar 707s, 375s and 395s...

wouldn't know how sn would work lol

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Too much reliance upon software is the issue with all its possible permutations and glitches to test to prove its stable. Was much simpler when it was just contactors hard wired.

Domh245

Established Member
Too much reliance upon software is the issue with all its possible permutations and glitches to test to prove its stable. Was much simpler when it was just contactors hard wired.

And hard wired solutions are inflexible & inefficient; Commissioning becomes harder, day-to-day becomes better.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
And hard wired solutions are inflexible & inefficient; Commissioning becomes harder, day-to-day becomes better.
OK was tongue in cheek but there is too much emphasis on software controlling everything in the train (oh actually everything) and as a result they've massively complicated the testing and commissioning process. Also the oversight of Bombardier has been abysmal with the level of issues being quoted above suggests a lousy management of the software build. However, these are allowed out on the mainline so traction, braking and safety systems clearly work at a satisfactory level so what are the issues.