• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
I've done a search but can't see an answer.

Has there been a date stated yet when the 707s will (or if) to Southeastern ?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotGG

Established Member
No word on what's happening to the 466s yet is there?

This project is a bit confusing. Five/ten car trains on a network that saw platform extensions for 12 cars seems odd at first even accounting for increased capacity over a 10-car 465 (though not a 12 car 465/466?) so is the plan for many more 12 car networker journeys even though they can't stop at half of Charing Cross and other spots on the network? How will it work?

Domh245

Established Member
No dates have been published yet, it's all dependant on SWR introducing the 701s for which there isn't a concrete date either

03_179

Established Member
Thanks.

As a side question. SE have been given a direct award to run Southeastern .. Until when ?

Domh245

Established Member
Thanks.

As a side question. SE have been given a direct award to run Southeastern .. Until when ?

The direct award originally ran until October 2021 with an option until March 2022, but the introduction of EMAs following COVID, as well as the consensus that the Williams review reforms ('the end of franchising as we know it') has significantly muddied the water!

Energy

Established Member
It shouldn't be too long until they start leaving SWR, they are the first to leave and 701s have started deliveries and tests. Still be a while as SE will need to train its staff.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
No word on what's happening to the 466s yet is there?

This project is a bit confusing. Five/ten car trains on a network that saw platform extensions for 12 cars seems odd at first even accounting for increased capacity over a 10-car 465 (though not a 12 car 465/466?) so is the plan for many more 12 car networker journeys even though they can't stop at half of Charing Cross and other spots on the network? How will it work?
Is there a difference in vehicle lengths ? A lot of the older SR stock was 20m bodyshells, but are the 707s also 20m bodyshells ?

pompeyfan

Established Member
It shouldn't be too long until they start leaving SWR, they are the first to leave and 701s have started deliveries and tests. Still be a while as SE will need to train its staff.

I don’t that’s correct. I’m led to believe the 458s will be leaving first due to their serious reliability issues. The Reading line is the first line to have 701s.

Energy

Established Member
I don’t that’s correct. I’m led to believe the 458s will be leaving first due to their serious reliability issues. The Reading line is the first line to have 701s.
458s are now fairly reliable, I believe they are coming of the reading line and going to displace the 707s.

On Moderation
With respect, they are really struggling with reliability.
Which is likely down to SWR’s “scorched earth” approach to maintenance and the usual fleet leaving, don’t maintain them attitude (as demonstrated by Virgin West Coast, among others).

DorkingMain

707s will be the last train to depart from SWR (an extension has been signed on their lease).

Due to the poor state of the 458s, they are now planned to be the first trains replaced - hence the choice to introduce 701s first on the Reading line.

Energy

Established Member
707s will be the last train to depart from SWR (an extension has been signed on their lease).
Do you have a source on this? I thought they would be the first due to having another operator ready for them.

On Moderation
Due to the poor state of the 458s, they are now planned to be the first trains replaced - hence the choice to introduce 701s first on the Reading line.
They’ll need to get them into a better state before they go or it will be very expensive on handback.

brad465

Established Member

Do you have a source on this? I thought they would be the first due to having another operator ready for them.
An extension to the lease would be a good opportunity for SE and Network rail to get the storage space issue sorted out in time for their arrival.

If this extension is for at least another year from now it's possible the current franchise won't use 707s if no further extension is granted, given the end date is currently October 2021 (with April 2022 option) and when 707s are released, driver training still has to be completed.

rebmcr

Established Member
Really? In the last Modern Railways fleet survey published in the January issue they were SWR's most unreliable units.

OK but that's almost ten months ago (if the data was from the month before publication and the Jan issue is published in Dec, like most magazines).

Goldfish62

Established Member
OK but that's almost ten months ago (if the data was from the month before publication and the Jan issue is published in Dec, like most magazines).
Do you happen to know what the MAA MTIN is now (moving annual average - miles per technical incident)?

DorkingMain

I don't want to give away too much about who I am for obvious reasons, but I have this on reliable authority.

Really? In the last Modern Railways fleet survey published in the January issue they were SWR's most unreliable units.

This is correct.

Wyrleybart

Established Member

Pretty amazing how the unloved 458s were threatened with being parked up because they were so poor. A stay of execution occurred and they Siemensised and allegedly became the best DC trains ever (well nearly !!).
Al of a sudden, a change of franchise and they become the most unreliable again.

What are we to believe ?
Where's Captain Deltic when we need him >

Status
Not open for further replies.