• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Modem Railways states that the first handful of units are moving purely for staff familiarisation and SWR will hold on to the rest until they no longer need them, still scheduled to be the last units after the 458s, 455s and 456s to be withdrawn.

brad465

Established Member
I'm sure I saw a 5 car stop mark at Gillingham recently...
Could it be possible that was there before anyway in case a 376 ended up there for some reason? I know they can do Gravesend services, where some of those services originate from empty stock moves from Gillingham, and may sometimes be a 376 or two?

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'm sure I saw a 5 car stop mark at Gillingham recently...
I wonder if that's just there in case a 376 ends up there. There are stop markers for all kinds of units you wouldn't usually expect in various places, presumably because a stop marker is so cheap and it would be stupid if management had to say "We have a train to run this service which we thought we'd have to cancel, but we can't run it for lack of a small metal plate at Gillingham"

As I understand it, the 707s won't operate anything longer than the 376s owing to the lack of toilets anyway.

KC1

Could it be possible that was there before anyway in case a 376 ended up there for some reason? I know they can do Gravesend services, where some of those services originate from empty stock moves from Gillingham, and may sometimes be a 376 or two?

FR510

Gillingham has had a 5-8 stop car mark installed on the down main. But I wouldn't read too much into that. There has been periodical work at a number of stations to 'tidy up' the stop car markers. 376s have definitely been as far as Strood in passenger service a number of times when there has been engineering works and then shunted back over to the up. Don't recall one going as far as Gillingham - very rare if it did happen.

traji00

Meanwhile at Waterloo earlier, I noticed this scribble on 707020 :lol:

(in the dirt, someone has written “Off To South Eastern”)

Attachments

• A637A76C-C031-41AD-88FA-B18DE0188787.jpeg
    A637A76C-C031-41AD-88FA-B18DE0188787.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 247

ComUtoR

Established Member
Spotted a 707 stopped just to the south of Chislehurst Junction today. They’re out and about!

Last edited:

4REP

707s will be the last train to depart from SWR (an extension has been signed on their lease).

Due to the poor state of the 458s, they are now planned to be the first trains replaced - hence the choice to introduce 701s first on the Reading line.
Why are they in a poor state?
They have recently been rebuilt and refurbished around 4 years ago unless FG reputation for maintaining and cleaning has kicked in since then

Goldfish62

Established Member
Why are they in a poor state?
They have recently been rebuilt and refurbished around 4 years ago unless FG reputation for maintaining and cleaning has kicked in since then
Despite some comments on this forum to the contrary the cleaning of these units is fine, actually better than under SWT.

They remain SWR's most unreliable units, as they were under SWT.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Despite some comments on this forum to the contrary the cleaning of these units is fine, actually better than under SWT.

They remain SWR's most unreliable units, as they were under SWT.
In 2016 the class won Silver at the Golden Spanner awards for most improved fleet but clearly gone backwards since then

Goldfish62

Established Member
In 2016 the class won Silver at the Golden Spanner awards for most improved fleet but clearly gone backwards since then
Most improved. It's all relative and in this case the class moved from very poor reliability to just poor. The 458s have never been since the 5-car conversion.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Most improved. It's all relative and in this case the class moved from very poor reliability to just poor. The 458s have never been since the 5-car conversion.
Well in 2020 awards they went down from 22k to 18k per incident the 455's were at 29k by comparison. Plenty more 1st Gen EMU's were below the 458's so hardly rubbish to see them just scrapped.

Bigfoot

Well in 2020 awards they went down from 22k to 18k per incident the 455's were at 29k by comparison. Plenty more 1st Gen EMU's were below the 458's so hardly rubbish to see them just scrapped.
They are way past their best if you have to work with everyday. They are going to be baked bean cans and washing machines soon enough. No amount of arguments here will change that.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Did I miss the post suggesting they be scrapped?

Domh245

Established Member
Did I miss the post suggesting they be scrapped?

If they're not being leased and used with SWR, I don't see them having much future other than scrap. The market for 100m, 75mph, third rail, (not overly reliable) EMUS doesn't really exist

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
If they're not being leased and used with SWR, I don't see them having much future other than scrap. The market for 100m, 75mph, third rail, (not overly reliable) EMUS doesn't really exist
Put some batteries under them and Southern can have them for the Uckfield line so 171s can be released.

Unfortunately they are unique fleet outside of 334's and not sure they can be readily converted to AC operation without a major rebuild of one carriage to carry pantograph well. Personally SWR should never been allowed to go 701 route and even now i would reassign the 701's to SE to replace networkers and told SWR to use what they have, including 707's, as Stagecoach proposed.

Bigfoot

Precisely. If theres no market for a fleet of AC 4/5 car 332 built at a very similar time then there's no market for a knackered DC only fleet. The only current place/stock requirement that was left to fill in 3rd rail land has been taken by the 707 going to SE.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Precisely. If theres no market for a fleet of AC 4/5 car 332 built at a very similar time then there's no market for a knackered DC only fleet. The only current place/stock requirement that was left to fill in 3rd rail land has been taken by the 707 going to SE.
DofT can create a market by how it decides to run things. BR wouldn't have junked them that easily but then they have no funds to build the level of new stock they desired hence why hand me downs to the North became the norm. So if treasury squeeze DofT they will be required to rethink there approach. They have relied upon franchises taking on the lease liabilities to keep costs off govt books im not sure this works in a concession model so in long run all these liabilities will end up back on govt books.

The counter argument is borrowing money is so cheap that the leasing companies maybe prepared to invest in new fleets as long as govt underpins the revenue stream long enough for them to cover there costs. Of course if it was France Bombardier(aka Alstom soon) would have a 10 year framework for Aventras, Hitachi same for Azumas and CAF can do DMUs spreads the work around the regions.

Domh245

Established Member
Personally SWR should never been allowed to go 701 route and even now i would reassign the 701's to SE to replace networkers and told SWR to use what they have, including 707's, as Stagecoach proposed.

I don't see why the Networkers would have merited replacement ahead of the 455s! The 701 order for SWR made complete sense before March 2020, the only real negative was the 30 707s being made homeless but even that has now been sorted. It's a matter for another thread though!

The 332s are a whole other kettle of fish compared to the 458s. The lack of TPWS, small number of them, and CAF build quality all played against them to the point that scrap was the only sensible option post retirement. The 458s could quite happily go to another home and see out another decade or two, the problem is that there's nowhere suitable for them - they're much less knackered than the 332s were.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Personally SWR should never been allowed to go 701 route and even now i would reassign the 701's to SE to replace networkers and told SWR to use what they have, including 707's, as Stagecoach proposed.
We've been through this so many times in various threads on this forum.

The ITT specified minimum capacities and maximum dwell times at stations that could not be achieved with the existing mixed fleet.

The 707s have found a new home, just like cascading of units under BR. The 455/456s have had a full operational life of close to 40 years and if the 458s also go for scrap it won't be the first time trains have been prematurely withdrawn. It happened many times under BR.

Status
Not open for further replies.