• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
Yes

Yes

Why does everyone thing they are out testing ?
I'll assume for the meantime the plans in question are not public knowledge yet, but with regards to the "testing" point, did I use the wrong terminology or are there some operating passenger services now for SE? The most recent discussion on what 707s are up to includes terms like "gauging and training runs out of Ashford" and "shunter training", which I thought is testing, unless that's the wrong language for these activities.

ComUtoR

Established Member
"gauging and training runs out of Ashford" and "shunter training", which I thought is testing, unless that's the wrong language for these activities.

First. No TOC is going to take a load of trains and not have any plans for them. There is a plan, I can assure you and unfortunately it isn't public knowledge. Many of us are bound by social media policies so some stuff cannot be shared. Plenty of information seems to be flowing and others here seem to have more information than I do.

Training and testing are very different. Training is about getting people competent on the units. They have to be maintained, shunted, cleaned, dispatched, and yes, driven about the network.

Testing involves a different set of tasks. Signal sighting need to be done and this would come under the "testing" umbrella. The emergency uncoupling that was done at Gill the other day would also come under "testing"

Apologies, but people keep using the term "testing" and I'm not actually sure what they are going on about.

Gauging I'll leave to the experts to explain. Mostly because I'm not 100% clear on the process and I've only been at the pointy end of unit introduction a couple of times in my career. I have a general idea what happens but the details im a little fuzzy on. Maybe that needs a thread of it's own tbh.

brad465

Established Member
First. No TOC is going to take a load of trains and not have any plans for them. There is a plan, I can assure you and unfortunately it isn't public knowledge. Many of us are bound by social media policies so some stuff cannot be shared. Plenty of information seems to be flowing and others here seem to have more information than I do.

Training and testing are very different. Training is about getting people competent on the units. They have to be maintained, shunted, cleaned, dispatched, and yes, driven about the network.

Testing involves a different set of tasks. Signal sighting need to be done and this would come under the "testing" umbrella. The emergency uncoupling that was done at Gill the other day would also come under "testing"

Apologies, but people keep using the term "testing" and I'm not actually sure what they are going on about.

Gauging I'll leave to the experts to explain. Mostly because I'm not 100% clear on the process and I've only been at the pointy end of unit introduction a couple of times in my career. I have a general idea what happens but the details im a little fuzzy on. Maybe that needs a thread of it's own tbh.
Thank you for clarifying, I expected the future plans weren't public knowledge as they'd probably be known on the forum by now if they were, but the above explains the different terminology as hoped.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Out of interest do SE drivers now use on train DOO cameras? I remember a couple of years ago there was something about the 377s having the screens but drivers were not to use them. Will the 707s be used to their ability?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

The units themselves should need no testing but there maybe a need to do infrastructure testing for signalling interference but given traction package is same as a Cl.700 I would have expected that to be limited to any areas of operation of types of equipment not found on the South Western side The sectional appendix will show where there currently authorised. As others have quoted this will be largely about signal sighting given the central driving position which caused a few issues with 700's at stations with tight platform lengths and signals at top of ramp necessitating special instructions for despatch if driver couldn't see the signal.

Domh245

Established Member
The DOO cameras will be used. There is no choice.

I'm guessing that's because the platform based equipment won't be visible from the 707s driving position, rather than any sort of extension of DOO onto lines that have previously not been DOO (and lack the equipment)

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm guessing that's because the platform based equipment won't be visible from the 707s driving position

707s have the same cab as a 700. The side windows aren't suitable for looking out of. Even if it were possible, the signal sighting becomes prohibitive and in some cases it could potentially have the front of the cab past the platform starter. Its going to be interesting to see what happens with places like Woolwich Dockyard.

Goldfish62

Established Member
707s have the same cab as a 700. The side windows aren't suitable for looking out of. Even if it were possible, the signal sighting becomes prohibitive and in some cases it could potentially have the front of the cab past the platform starter. Its going to be interesting to see what happens with places like Woolwich Dockyard.
Perhaps a separate stop board set further back?

Juniper Driver

Established Member
That was the thing with the 707's...The DI's didn't like them as the seat is centre...Even when I had a road learner I had to stand up on the left as opposed to sitting on the seat on the right where I couldn't see as much as I wanted to.Wonder how they coped on the 700's.

Class 466

Established Member
A small update on locations/workings of the units that have transferred:

707003 should work 5X21 11+30 Grove Park CSD - Slade Green Depot
707004 should work 5X22 13+00 Slade Green Depot to Grove Park CSD
707005&006 are out on today's selection of 5Qs between New Cross & Orpington/Sevenoaks
707007&008 are stabled in Ashford Down Sidings

Chiltern006

slightly off topic, but can we expect to see SE blue on the 707s whilst they are still with SWR, owing to problems with 701s. A situation simiar to the current EMR/WMR 170, and TPE/LNR 350s would be perfect, as they can, pretty much, enter service straight away with SE.

still no idea when we will see one in blue :frown:

samuelmorris

Established Member
slightly off topic, but can we expect to see SE blue on the 707s whilst they are still with SWR, owing to problems with 701s. A situation simiar to the current EMR/WMR 170, and TPE/LNR 350s would be perfect, as they can, pretty much, enter service straight away with SE.

still no idea when we will see one in blue :frown:
I'm still not sure if it's certain they'll ever be painted in blue. Doing so while still in use at SWR seems very unlikely.

Aictos

Established Member
Just a update that Class 707005 is currently at Gillingham depot on the reception road outside in its SWT livery.

theking

Getting the South Eastern treatment and they're not even in service yet. (Spotted at New Cross)

:lol:20210526_120359.jpg

Paul Jones 88

I am minded to think of Demolition Man with Sly Stalone when the graffiti man is electrocuted by built-in contacts in the wall.

Metal_gee_man

There was a utterly awful (in Southern Livery) class 377 at Canterbury West absolutely smothered in graffiti, I thought many of them were stabled at Ashford so I was surprised to see how bad the graffiti was! It's certainly not isolated there are idiots who think playing near 3rd rail and spraying trains is a good idea

Last edited:

Chriso

There was a utterly awful (in Southern Livery) class 377 at Canterbury West absolutely smothered in graffiti, I though many of them were stabled at Ashford so I was surprised to see how bad the graffiti was! It's certainly not isolated there are idiots who think playing near 3rd rail and spraying trains is a good idea

Ashford seems to be a constant hit from the graffiti vandals as the 377/5 fleet seem to be regular targets . I too am surprised as it seems a modern depot which should be more secure

Class 466

Established Member
Ashford seems to be a constant hit from the graffiti vandals as the 377/5 fleet seem to be regular targets . I too am surprised as it seems a modern depot which should be more secure
Worth remembering 377s also berth in Ashford East Berthing Sidings and Up Sidings that aren’t as protected as the main depot.

JamieRH

We may be getting it in both blue & white liveries from what I've seen in a certain booklet.

Status
Not open for further replies.