• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiltern006

they don't need a refurb just seat covers and blue grab rails and its as good as it can get lol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
Some minor stuff might make sense, but a major refurb doesn't with not long left on the franchise relatively speaking.

Chiltern006

and the fact that they are very young trains

also do you think we can see (if they work well) a full metro fleet replacement to the 707s in, say, an 8 car and 10 car formations?

Mikey C

Established Member
they don't need a refurb just seat covers and blue grab rails and its as good as it can get lol
They need the horrible seats removed and replaced by something better, but that's not going to happen!

Metal_gee_man

They need the horrible seats removed and replaced by something better, but that's not going to happen!
They are wide aisled, people eaters, exactly what Metro passengers require. Let's be honest they are what they are and will not be changed unless their use changes and toilets are added to make them Mainline trains. Soo yeah next...

Aictos

Established Member
They are wide aisled, people eaters, exactly what Metro passengers require. Let's be honest they are what they are and will not be changed unless their use changes and toilets are added to make them Mainline trains. Soo yeah next...
You can add 1st Class to any such refurbishment as well, for now though there's nothing wrong with the interiors be it seating or anything else because as the quoted poster stated, they are ideal for Metro routes as they have the ability to hoover up crowded platforms and take more passengers then previous train types as a example posters on here have explained numerous times how much of a difference the Class 700 makes to the Class 319s etc...

All they really need is grab poles repainted, new seat covers and SE interior signage including route maps etc, anything else is simply a waste of resources.

ScotGG

Established Member
As if they'll have anything done when 376s havnt in 17 years and most networkers in 30.

Aictos

Established Member
Any of the 707s in the new livery yet?
I shouldn't think so, least not for a while especially as there's no pressing need to do so as they've got driver/depot training to complete plus infrastructure works to clear the fleet for all routes it will serve which are more important then worrying about liveries.

Nogoohwell

707's are not pleasant to ride on. Like the 700's the window seat is cramped and your legs are always at a weird angle. The passenger next to you spends most of their time on your lap and the people standing next to you are pretty much on top of you. You get less space than on a Ryanair flight.

I dont get the interior layout, the row of single seats are missing additional hand rails so that space never really gets used to capacity. As for the walk through cabins, do they really offer more space? Need hand rails in that space as their is no bulk head to lean against.

On the plus side, they are fast little beasts, a late running 707 out of Waterloo can make up time on the rails and on dwell times. They were always my choice home in the summer evenings, I would rather wait an extra 17 minutes in the office and get an aircon 707 rather than a bake-on-the-rails 455. Did I mention that they offer a much better, smoother ride? 701's have a lot to live up to in some areas.

Were these units specified by the DFT?

Mikey C

Established Member
707's are not pleasant to ride on. Like the 700's the window seat is cramped and your legs are always at a weird angle. The passenger next to you spends most of their time on your lap and the people standing next to you are pretty much on top of you. You get less space than on a Ryanair flight.

I dont get the interior layout, the row of single seats are missing additional hand rails so that space never really gets used to capacity. As for the walk through cabins, do they really offer more space? Need hand rails in that space as their is no bulk head to lean against.

On the plus side, they are fast little beasts, a late running 707 out of Waterloo can make up time on the rails and on dwell times. They were always my choice home in the summer evenings, I would rather wait an extra 17 minutes in the office and get an aircon 707 rather than a bake-on-the-rails 455. Did I mention that they offer a much better, smoother ride? 701's have a lot to live up to in some areas.

Agreed, the seating arrangement is horrible and that row of single seats is completely pointless and a massive waste of space

Goldfish62

Established Member
Agreed, the seating arrangement is horrible and that row of single seats is completely pointless and a massive waste of space

A poor design specification by SWT at the time. In theory it would allowed three rows of standing passengers, but forgetting the fact that those in the middle row would have nowhere to hold on to.

They were specified by SWT, but I suspect within constraints imposed by the DfT.

Mikey C

Established Member
A poor design specification by SWT at the time. In theory it would allowed three rows of standing passengers, but forgetting the fact that those in the middle row would have nowhere to hold on to.

They were specified by SWT, but I suspect within constraints imposed by the DfT.
Wasn't the lack of roof mounted grab handles (due to the design of the train) one of the reasons why the 707s failed some sort of DfT criteria?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Wasn't the lack of roof mounted grab handles (due to the design of the train) one of the reasons why the 707s failed some sort of DfT criteria?
As I have pointed out on other threads vertical grab rails don't have to be mounted from the ceiling. As on the 458s among others they can be mounted from the luggage tracks.

However, they can't have failed the criteria due to that because Aventras are also lacking in the vertical grab rail department.

Domh245

Established Member
However, they can't have failed the criteria due to that because Aventras are also lacking in the vertical grab rail department.

The 701s have handrails (and danglies - on some, seemingly) at the point where it matters - the huge open doorways. A 707 has handles by the door, and a pair of verticals in the middle but that's it - the 701's arrangement is going to make standing in that area a lot easier with some horizontal rails at thirds (aprx) across the vehicle, and more verticals to hold on to. When between the aisles you don't need overheads as you can use the seatback ones.

701-interior-b.jpg
new-701-interior-f.jpg

JaJaWa

Established Member
This video from February states they will be "painting them Southeastern blue and yellow to match our current fleet" (not sure this has been linked before).

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 701s have handrails (and danglies - on some, seemingly) at the point where it matters - the huge open doorways. A 707 has handles by the door, and a pair of verticals in the middle but that's it - the 701's arrangement is going to make standing in that area a lot easier with some horizontal rails at thirds (aprx) across the vehicle, and more verticals to hold on to. When between the aisles you don't need overheads as you can use the seatback ones.

701-interior-b.jpg
new-701-interior-f.jpg
Seat back handles are a poor substitute for grab rails on a metro-type train, but agreed otherwise re the 701s.

Status
Not open for further replies.