• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfoot

The 458s could quite happily go to another home and see out another decade or two, the problem is that there's nowhere suitable for them - they're much less knackered than the 332s were.

Guessing you don't work with them day in day out. If you did you would know how knackered they really are.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Guessing you don't work with them day in day out. If you did you would know how knackered they really are.

I don't, but I am under the impression that they're mostly knackered as a result of being run with their impending replacement in mind. Doesn't change the argument that the 458s are still significantly more usable for future operators than 332s were, if there were future operators interested.

The 456s haven't had close to a 40 year lifespan?

They're around 30 now, but they aren't at all attractive to anyone as a standalone fleet and have to be seen as an extension of the 455 fleet really

Nogoohwell

The 456s haven't had close to a 40 year lifespan?
Maybe not, but who wants/needs a two car DC unit? Once you remove the 4 car 455's, there is no point in keeping them.

Although, there are a lot of re-openings being discussed in the south east that could make use of them, assuming the DFT breaks with tradition and lays new third rail.

On Moderation
Fundamentally they’re a decent train. It’s SWR’s lack of maintenance that has caused them to deteriorate.

Chiltern006

SWR 455/8s should go to Southern as they are in a much better condition than the ones over there now.

Chiltern006

Oh ok

do we know when we will see the first one in revenue service, and will they have an SE interior? cheers

Last edited:

Metal_gee_man

Blue and yellow exterior wooooooooo! I expect the seats will still be red sadly but thats a tad expensive

Energy

Established Member
So it seems they plan on replacing some of the Networkers with the 707s - I take it they’re referring to the Class 466?
Presumably, double 707 sets replace the 465+465+466 services, 466s gone and 465s displaced to extend 8/10 car services to 12 car?

Roast Veg

Established Member
Good PR SE! Some of the comments seemed to be targeted to some of the discussions had here on this thread. Does anyone have a list of current 10 car workings to hand that we might see changing to 707s? I only know of the Tunbridge Wells stoppers.

py_megapixel

Established Member
They don't currently have a blue and yellow livery do they?
They have a blue livery, and they have Connex's old white and yellow livery

brad465

Established Member
So it seems they plan on replacing some of the Networkers with the 707s - I take it they’re referring to the Class 466?
Presumably, double 707 sets replace the 465+465+466 services, 466s gone and 465s displaced to extend 8/10 car services to 12 car?
The 466s would make most sense due to lower PRM compatibility and the formation needs as suggested, but I don't think they should do a like for like replacement of carriages with the May 2022 timetable on the way and it's apparent service frequency increase in places (combined with SE stock being stretched pre-covid anyway, even post-covid resilience should be welcomed).

Good PR SE! Some of the comments seemed to be targeted to some of the discussions had here on this thread. Does anyone have a list of current 10 car workings to hand that we might see changing to 707s? I only know of the Tunbridge Wells stoppers.
Unless they fit toilets to them I don't see them going onto Tunbridge Wells' stoppers, and there was no mention of fitting them with toilets in that video.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Good PR SE! Some of the comments seemed to be targeted to some of the discussions had here on this thread.
I don't think the video is a public video. (Unless they posted it on their Twitter) It's an internal video.
The video was made some time ago.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Regular 10 car services on all metro working including Hayes.
When you say all Metro working, I assume you mean out of Charing Cross and Cannon Street. The issue of Victoria lines only taking eight carriages has been raised more times than I can count on one hand! :)

londonteacher

When you say all Metro working, I assume you mean out of Charing Cross and Cannon Street. The issue of Victoria lines only taking eight carriages has been raised more times than I can count on one hand! :)
Aah yes I do. Forgot about Victoria as its rare I travel in that way!

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
Vast majority of workings on the Hayes line at the moment are 10 car (either 465+465+466 or 376+376).

You get some 5-car services to Victoria on the weekend

On Moderation
Now can be seen in two liveries on SWR... Clean or dirty.
SWR's "cleaning" regime reminds me a bit of railways like Belgium and Slovenia where they only graffiti from around vehicles numbers and technical data. SWR just cleaned the patch around the numbers rather than doing the whole job. Just sums up the whole SWR mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.