• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
But I thought they had all been transferred to SE in 2021, and those still with SWR were being leased back short term.

Doesn’t that rather make it SEs choice regarding extending their stay (presumably it would have been SWR choice if they were sub leasing them out).

I do rather wonder if SWR can dictate a block on transfers rather than politely beg for a postponement
True, but DfT dictates rolling stock deployment. If DfT says South Eastern must continue to sub-lease back to SWR then SE are contractually obligated to do so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
But I thought they had all been transferred to SE in 2021, and those still with SWR were being leased back short term.

Doesn’t that rather make it SEs choice regarding extending their stay (presumably it would have been SWR choice if they were sub leasing them out).

I do rather wonder if SWR can dictate a block on transfers rather than politely beg for a postponement
Hmmm.... DfT (and HMT) run the railway now!

brad465

Established Member
Apparently this is also dependent on the 465/2s being reactivated from their “warm” storage to release the /9s to cover Mainline routes again that would have otherwise been covered by a 375 or 377.
Most if not all 465/2s are in cold storage at Ely, unless that's what you meant with the inverted commas. We're approaching the year mark of how long they've been out of action, although the amount of time in cold storage is a bit less than that, but even without that they went to storage for being the one's in poorest condition.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not speculation.
It's being delayed that's all
And completely sensible it is too. Why send trains to an operator that doesn't need them when the donor operator is in a critical situation with rolling stock shortages?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
And completely sensible it is too. Why send trains to an operator that doesn't need them when the donor operator is in a critical situation with rolling stock shortages?
There critical situation has been self inflicted due to there uber confidence that the 701 introduction is always just round the corner.

Goldfish62

Established Member
There critical situation has been self inflicted due to there uber confidence that the 701 introduction is always just round the corner.
That doesn't mean SWR should be deliberately left short of rolling stock. The only people that would suffer would be the passengers.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
That doesn't mean SWR should be deliberately left short of rolling stock. The only people that would suffer would be the passengers.
Agree that priority has to be to look after passengers and as i mentioned previously there are many second order impacts from the ongoing 701 debacle.

spark001uk

Established Member
They must be getting short if they're offing all their 455's? Didn't think they had that many 377s over to cover?

Class455

Established Member
They must be getting short if they're offing all their 455's? Didn't think they had that many 377s over to cover?
Which they are as there's plenty of complaints about overcrowding, and I've also noticed passenger numbers are increasing on Southern metro routes....

spark001uk

Established Member
Which they are as there's plenty of complaints about overcrowding, and I've also noticed passenger numbers are increasing on Southern metro routes....
Tell me about it, I was on a travelcard only the other day and all the SN I went on were sardined compared to usual.!

MotCO

Established Member
Is there an expected date for the introduction of the 701's, or is that on a separate thread? (I've looked but couldn't find a current one.)

DelW

Established Member
Is there an expected date for the introduction of the 701's, or is that on a separate thread? (I've looked but couldn't find a current one.)
The 701 discussion is here:
Many expected dates have come and gone, but it seems a safe bet that no-one really knows how long it will take to resolve the remaining problems, especially with the software.

74A

Just been past Wimbledon depot and there was a South Eastern liveried 707 in the depot. Was a bit surprised. Does anyone know if that a unit leaving SWT or coming back ? Didn't get the number unfortunately

gabrielhj07

Just been past Wimbledon depot and there was a South Eastern liveried 707 in the depot. Was a bit surprised. Does anyone know if that a unit leaving SWT or coming back ? Didn't get the number unfortunately
I believe they tend to go to Wimbledon for maintenance. Not coming back to SWR though.

They only come back to the Park for attention on the wheel lathe as the current lathe at Slade Green does not do clamping down of inside bearing axles which the SF7000 bogie has as part of its design. 707029 came on Friday. Should depart midday Monday as 5Z50.

brad465

Established Member
I believe they tend to go to Wimbledon for maintenance. Not coming back to SWR though.
Would this continue until a Southeastern depot has gained the knowledge/experience to do the maintenance being done at Wimbledon (i.e. are SE maintenance staff being trained on 707s)?

Would this continue until a Southeastern depot has gained the knowledge/experience to do the maintenance being done at Wimbledon (i.e. are SE maintenance staff being trained on 707s)?
It's not the staff, their staff are good guys. It's the wheel lathe itself. Just can't be done with the style of bogie.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just as I think the last 707s have run to Reading 707020 and 021 were on Ascot to Reading shuttles this evening for Royal Ascot.

spark001uk

Established Member
Just as I think the last 707s have run to Reading 707020 and 021 were on Ascot to Reading shuttles this evening for Royal Ascot.
Yes they've robbed various stock for Ascot, resulting in some service reductions too, eg. some of the Weybridge via Staines down to hourly.
Once upon a time they'd just get out some spare stock and spare crew for events like that. Not got that luxury now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes they've robbed various stock for Ascot, resulting in some service reductions too, eg. some of the Weybridge via Staines down to hourly.
Once upon a time they'd just get out some spare stock and spare crew for events like that. Not got that luxury now.
Just as well. I've never seen queues like it at Ascot Station on what is normally the relatively quiet Wednesday. Obviously due to this being the first full event since 2019.

MotCO

Established Member
Haven't they got a load of 701s sitting around?

I'll get my coat.....

Status
Not open for further replies.