• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It may be 7 + 1 spare which is where I've got my wires crossed.

You'd think that would be even more unworkable than using Battersea Park bay. Imagine missing the train on Plat 1 and having to run all the way to 17 to catch the next one

You mean just like now for the West London Line?

Don’t miss the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
The ELL can't access P17, so presumably the idea is for the ELL to use both P1+2, and some of the NLL trains to move over to P17. However that causes it's own problems, trying to fit in the terminating NLL trains around the through Southern services.

Minstral25

Established Member
You'd think that would be even more unworkable than using Battersea Park bay. Imagine missing the train on Plat 1 and having to run all the way to 17 to catch the next one

That is already a problem with the trains up the West London Line - many times having just missed a service on P1 then run all the way to P16/7 for a Southern service. It would be good if all WLL services ran from 16/17

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Does anyone know when the 5 cars will be in service and on what route?
The route is going to be Watford DC; when they'll be in service is up in the air AIUI.
The 5-car 710s have been built for the Richmond / Clapham Junction to Stratford route to displace 5-car 378s to the East London Line for frequency uplifts. The Watford DC line will be served (as it is already) by 4-car 710s.

See https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-710-lo.145774/page-62#post-4216409

Are you somehow suggesting that the 5-car units will first be used on the Watford route to be run in and then on the NLL?

Last edited:

ijmad

Established Member
West Anglia customers on twitter seem to like the new trains. Aircon especially. Even though I know many here view the longitudinal seats as a 'downgrade'.

Mikey C

Established Member
West Anglia customers on twitter seem to like the new trains. Aircon especially. Even though I know many here view the longitudinal seats as a 'downgrade'.
The 710s are nice trains, a definite step up on the 378s, but I'm sure all the passengers would consider longitudinal seating a downgrade, especially at a time when the overcrowding which led to this decision does't exist due to lockdown!

Wolfie

Established Member
The route is going to be Watford DC; when they'll be in service is up in the air AIUI.
I understood that Watford to Euston was to be operated by four cars. The five cars are for Richmond to Stratford to free up 378s for the East London line.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I understood that Watford to Euston was to be operated by four cars. The five cars are for Richmond to Stratford to free up 378s for the East London line.
You’re definitely correct, it’s been discussed in this thread numerous times before, complete with all the linked quotes from TfL. As @JonathanH already noted above.

BJames

Established Member
The 710s are nice trains, a definite step up on the 378s, but I'm sure all the passengers would consider longitudinal seating a downgrade, especially at a time when the overcrowding which led to this decision does't exist due to lockdown!
I must admit as a regular user I do like them, even with the longitudinal seating. Realistically the maximum journey time is not a problem to be sitting in this way, and if you're at the far reaches of the line in Enfield or Cheshunt, you have got alternative options if sitting in this way really bothers you (Great Northern from Enfield Chase, or Greater Anglia from Cheshunt). I have overheard people who have caught one for the first time mentioning how there's considerably less seating available than the old trains though.

I have however certainly appreciated the air conditioning (and even the charging points since I usually get on early enough to bag those seats). They do ride nicely as well, and the 315s and 317s were certainly ageing so everyone I knew was past ready for an upgrade.

20atthemagnet

Maybe so, but forum users arent the people who matter. The people who use them are. Passengers love them. Many actively avoid 315s now. Commuters dont care in the main whether they sit forward/rearward or sideways. They care as you quite rightly point out the train environment which is light years ahead of what it replaces, the wifi and charging points also get alot of praise. They also want to be able to get the first train that turns up, whether it be forward/rearward/standing/seating which for the most case will almost always be the case on a 710 even when things get back to normal. Passengers no longer gather and que at doorways to board shouting profanities at people to move down past people gathering in doorways as there are no seats to filter down past. A well used platform just empties almost instantaneously.

ijmad

Established Member
Maybe so, but forum users arent the people who matter. The people who use them are. Passengers love them. Many actively avoid 315s now. Commuters dont care in the main whether they sit forward/rearward or sideways. They care as you quite rightly point out the train environment which is light years ahead of what it replaces, the wifi and charging points also get alot of praise. They also want to be able to get the first train that turns up, whether it be forward/rearward/standing/seating which for the most case will almost always be the case on a 710 even when things get back to normal. Passengers no longer gather and que at doorways to board shouting profanities at people to move down past people gathering in doorways as there are no seats to filter down past. A well used platform just empties almost instantaneously.

Absolutely agree. I think they're great. I feel like a lot of people around here are overly nostalgic for old trains and old ways of working, and while they're absolutely entitled to their opinions, those opinions don't inform modern metro train design. As for me, I love the new stuff in general.

Mikey C

Established Member
Commuters may like them, but I suspect that if they had a seating layout with a few transverse seats such as the S8s AND the Crossrail 345s, they would like them even more.

BJames

Established Member
Absolutely agree. I think they're great. I feel like a lot of people around here are overly nostalgic for old trains and old ways of working, and while they're absolutely entitled to their opinions, those opinions don't inform modern metro train design. As for me, I love the new stuff in general.
I agree with this as well. The reality is they are a much needed improvement for West Anglia, and the capacity issue before the pandemic was resolved by making the train entirley longitudinal seating. Nobody could have forseen the pandemic and the increased capacity and space is welcome now anyway for social distancing and the on-train environment is a considerable improvement on what we were used to.

Domk

I observed that 710 125 assuming it’s still with 710 111 was having door issues. Looks like the driver wasn’t getting pilot. This was observed at Seven Sisters northbound at about 1850. It was on the 1833, which was about 12/15min late, presumably because it was being delayed because of the door issues.

BJames

Established Member
I observed that 710 125 assuming it’s still with 710 111 was having door issues. Looks like the driver wasn’t getting pilot. This was observed at Seven Sisters northbound at about 1850. It was on the 1833, which was about 12/15min late, presumably because it was being delayed because of the door issues.
Now appears to be running non-stop Edmonton - Liverpool Street "due to a fault on this train".

Apart from the above I've found the 710s generally very reliable so far (granted, it's not been long but I had expected quite a few more teething issues - especially given the amount of time it's taken to get them to this point).

Mikey C

Established Member
Now appears to be running non-stop Edmonton - Liverpool Street "due to a fault on this train".

Apart from the above I've found the 710s generally very reliable so far (granted, it's not been long but I had expected quite a few more teething issues - especially given the amount of time it's taken to get them to this point).
710s have been running on the Goblin for a while though

BJames

Established Member
Oh true I'd forgotten about the Goblin... just happy to see them out in force on West Anglia :D

Mikey C

Established Member
I still miss the 305s, train of my childhood when I was living in Stoke Newington with my parents.
I travelled in from Tottenham in the late 80s for a year when at University, I much preferred the refurbished 305s to the 315s

Bikeman78

Established Member
To be fair, you can stick Wifi in anything. All the Welsh Pacers have it. I'd have thought that the air con is the biggest bonus during the summer months. Most of my travel is for the fun of it rather than getting from A to B. I have no interest in 710s so once the 315s are gone I'll find somewhere else to go.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Oh true I'd forgotten about the Goblin... just happy to see them out in force on West Anglia :D
I think Bombardier left dealing with running in multiple a bit late, that was probably the cause of delay. When they were ORR approved for Goblin it was caveated as single units only.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've just seen 710 115 at Bletchley sandwiched between 47 813 and another 47, presumably on the delivery run...

Edited to add:

The other 47 was in fact 57 312.

Last edited:

Devonman2014

Good evening

What 710’s (off all variants) are now in service, aware a lot of the 7102xx variants are but how many 710xx are in service ?

Roger B

Good evening

What 710’s (off all variants) are now in service, aware a lot of the 7102xx variants are but how many 710xx are in service ?
Following on from this, 710256 seems to be pretty elusive - what's the story with this one? Many thanks

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Following on from this, 710256 seems to be pretty elusive - what's the story with this one? Many thanks
Wasn't that answered earlier this year? Replaced by 710271 and not needed yet.

It is obvious that priority has been given to the 710/1s since the 710/2 fleet got to the number needed to operate the Gospel Oak to Barking and Watford Junction to Euston routes.