• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spirit555

Nothing concrete as it stands. Only one unit passed mileage acceptance AFAIK and no training of any kind done so far. All mileage stuff done by ROG. I remember speaking to a driver at Walsall when 730002 was undergoing trials.

Mark

Liam L

Any ideas as to why it’s moved to Oxley. I guess it’s for Mainline testing or something?
Thanks

Established Member
A colleague of mine who lives at Erdington and commutes into New St says he has heard the whole fleet of 36 units will be introduced from November and be complete by January
I find that very hard to believe, when only 3 have been delivered for testing.

MCR247

Established Member
Even if there were more available built waiting in sidings, I think an introduction of 2 months from start to finish seems very optimistic.

Ilovetrains43

On Moderation
A colleague of mine who lives at Erdington and commutes into New St says he has heard the whole fleet of 36 units will be introduced from November and be complete by January
January 2022 or 2023? I don't see how they can fit 36 3-car trains into service in 2 months.

I find that very hard to believe, when only 3 have been delivered for testing.
Same here

Chiltern006

and we haven't had the issue that pretty much every aventra has had issues with yet...

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Even if there were more available built waiting in sidings, I think an introduction of 2 months from start to finish seems very optimistic.
Particularly as

The only EMU depot for the Birmingham area is Soho despite Duddeston then Bescot being planned

November is the middle of leaf fall season when the X City line tends to operate a reduced service

Birmingham traditionally has huge manning issues each October-December

They will effectively need twice the siding and depot space in order to accommodate the 323 and 730 fleets in the transition from one to the other.

Liam L

Has 001 done any form of mainline testing since returning from Velim?
Nope. Only 002 so far I believe.

Can't see that happening. Not sure how they will build the full fleet of 36 and test them all for January.
Realistically, It will be next year at somepoint for there introduction into service.

Last edited:

Fidelis

January 2022 or 2023? I don't see how they can fit 36 3-car trains into service in 2 months.

Same here
Julian Edwards MD WMT spoke at the Cotswold Line Promotion Group AGM on Saturday 7th August and stated that Class 196s would be introduced in 2nd quarter 2022 and Class 730s much later .

sharpley

730001 quoted as moving from Old Dalby to Oxley today.

Mark
It's just left Melton RIDC, approaching Melton Junction at the time of writing this. Will try and get a photo after it's reversed at Melton Mowbray.

EDIT - didn't get chance for a photo, it's on its way west now though

Last edited:

typetwos

It's just left Melton RIDC, approaching Melton Junction at the time of writing this. Will try and get a photo after it's reversed at Melton Mowbray.

EDIT - didn't get chance for a photo, it's on its way west now though

37510 taking 730001 on a ride with 6378 & 6379 on 5Q65 11:37 OLD DALBY to OXLEYTCSD 27/09/21

James James

The WMR unit(s) being tested appear to have new fairings which put the buffers (or anti-climbers if you're being picky) on show. Is that specific to the WMR units, or coming to all of them - and why is that change being made?

XAM2175

Established Member
The WMR unit(s) being tested appear to have new fairings which put the buffers (or anti-climbers if you're being picky) on show. Is that specific to the WMR units, or coming to all of them - and why is that change being made?
Sure it isn't just that the lower half of the fairing isn't currently fitted?

mightyena

Yeah I think it's just that the fairing isn't fitted. A few of the SWR Aventras have been running around with their bits on show too. Given its cosmetic I assume there was just no real hurry to put it on

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
These are Aventras they should have just rolled off the production line. GBR need to a grip of rolling stock procurement and appoint a big hitter to get a grip of the multitude of issues across all new builds currently as soon as practical.

TRAX

Established Member

Sure it isn't just that the lower half of the fairing isn't currently fitted?

Yeah I think it's just that the fairing isn't fitted. A few of the SWR Aventras have been running around with their bits on show too. Given its cosmetic I assume there was just no real hurry to put it on

DE52023B-ADE4-4DAE-91A1-5CA0849EA0D0.jpeg
10D5AB7B-F1AC-4852-8FCC-C2E1E6E8F87D.jpeg

It looks like the headshapes of units 001 and 002 are actually a bit different.
On 001, it doesn’t look like there’s anything missing over the anti-climbers - the body around them looks like it’s meant to be that way.
Also, compare the positioning of stuff on the two units - the horn for example. There’s slight variations. Even the way the orange section of the body swoops under the headlights is different on the two units.

Pakenhamtrain

View attachment 104496
View attachment 104497

It looks like the headshapes of units 001 and 002 are actually a bit different.
On 001, it doesn’t look like there’s anything missing over the anti-climbers - the body around them looks like it’s meant to be that way.
Also, compare the positioning of stuff on the two units - the horn for example. There’s slight variations. Even the way the orange section of the body swoops under the headlights is different on the two units.
Those white stripes would make a great marker light cluster.

CJ

Is it just me, or does the side window for the driver on the right look bigger on 730001 than on 730002?