• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clerestory Carriages in Preservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning, I just wondered if there were any GWR (Or others) Clerestory Carriages in Preservation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Stevieboy
On the GCR (N) there is this about to be restored
"Clerestory 1st and 3rd class No 1663. Body stored on a flat wagon but frames are nearly ready to hold the body to take the weight of the body, shortly to be moved onto its own frames. Final frame work and bodywork restoration will begin once Barnum No 664 is complete"
. I'm not sure whether this, now completed restoration is clerestory -
"Six Wheeler GCR No 946. The group's current restoration project. This vehicle is at the end of a 15-year restoration and is being treated with a museum quality finish"
.....Just checked and this is not clerestory - but very pretty non the less!Now at Nunckley Hill on the Mountsorrel Branch.

Last edited by a moderator:
LNERCA are restoring ECJS Restaurant Third No.189 on the NYMR. Well worth looking at their web site to see the restoration taking place.

CarltonA

If you classify London Transport Standard Stock as clerestory, (They certainly had a central raised area with vents) then there are a few cars at the Acton Museum Depot. I last travelled on them on the Isle of Wight in 1988. I seem to recall some brown glass overhead panels as well.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A very fine ex GWR gas lit sleeping car (used on the Fishguard services) , resides on the West Somerset Railway .........

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Didcot have this 1901 Dean third number 1941.
2971DB84-F997-4D5B-B212-AF037ECB10D4.jpeg
Rather nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.