• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed/ Disused Railways - Potential To Be Converted to Cycle/Walking Paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigD

Established Member
Some old railway line have been converted to cycle/Walking routes and become very popular and successful in their own right.

For example - Tissington/High Peak Trail in Derbyshire, Brampton Valley Way between Northampton and Market Harborough, Water Rail Way between Lincoln and Boston etc etc.

What other closed/disused lines would have the potential to make popular cycle/walking trails?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnRegular

The Bishop's Waltham branch is the first that comes to mind- a section at the Bishop's Waltham end is usable, but I understand there is a group working to restore most of the route as a walking and cycling path. It could be a useful link, providing easy access from the town to Botley station, where the only reasonable alternative is a busy main road with no pavement.

Not too far away, it would be great to see the Meon Valley trail extended further north, all the way to Alton even.

There are probably countless examples around the country that 'might be nice', just last weekend I was lamenting that more of the Didcot Newbury & Southampton wasn't rideable, purely because it would have been convenient for a short section of the bike ride I was doing.

Wynd

Alford - Kintore via Kemnay to mirror the Deeside line but in Donside.

This would allow Donside residents good access via segregated paths to the new Kintore station.

yoyothehobo

I would do the Hawes to Garsdale route, properly segregated from the main road in the area.

John Webb

Established Member
Interestingly the former Great Northern/LNER branch from Hatfield to St Albans, closed to passengers in 1951 and converted some years ago to a footpath/cycle way is probably now carrying more people per year than it ever did as a railway!

TheBigD

Established Member
The Ingleton route from Clapham to near Low Gill would be my nomination.
Goe much of that route is intact? Obviously Ingleton viaduct still towers over the town but what about the rest of the route?

Incidentally, is Ingleton viaduct open to the public to walk over or is it closed?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Interestingly the former Great Northern/LNER branch from Hatfield to St Albans, closed to passengers in 1951 and converted some years ago to a footpath/cycle way is probably now carrying more people per year than it ever did as a railway!
The same could be said of much of the former Dunstable to Hatfield line.

John Webb

Established Member
Goe much of that route is intact? Obviously Ingleton viaduct still towers over the town but what about the rest of the route?

Incidentally, is Ingleton viaduct open to the public to walk over or is it closed?
It appears to be closed. Several photos on the Geograph website show the ends blocked off - for example:
View along Ingleton Viaduct

© Copyright David Martin and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
(Click on photo to go to the larger original.)

It is listed. I suspect that public safety would require higher handrails and the listing might not allow this to be done? (I wonder how deep the ballast is!)

zwk500

Veteran Member
It is listed. I suspect that public safety would require higher handrails and the listing might not allow this to be done? (I wonder how deep the ballast is!)
For a cycle path, installing railings on the trackbed away from the parapets would probably be sufficient.

I would suggest Lewes to Uckfield May be an outside contender. Quite a few technical challenges but providing a recreational route that keeps cyclists off the busy and dangerous A26 would be beneficial.

A0wen

On Moderation
The same could be said of much of the former Dunstable to Hatfield line.

Not all of that is cycleway though - the bit from Luton to Harpenden and a bit from Wheathampstead to Ayot, whereas Hatfield St Albans is virtually complete.

S&CLER

Much of it is intact but it is built over in the Barbon area, Kirkby Lonsdale station is in use by a coach firm, Ingleton station site is now a small bus station and car park, and I think there is a small housing estate on the formation just south of Ingleton. Unfortunately you can't walk across the viaducts at Ingleton or Low Gill, or the well-known arched bridge at Sedbergh, unlike the viaducts at Kirkby Stephen on the old Stainmore line, which are open and run by a charity. Sedbergh station is in commercial use, can't recall exactly what, and the bridge across the road at Sedbergh has been removed. The stone bridge over Slacks Lane (if that's the right name, can't be sure) in Sedbergh is still there and bears a painted engineer's line reference, DfT INL (Ingleton-Low Gill) 17. You cross the formation of the line when walking downhill to the footbridge across the Lune which gives access to the Dales Way (the one that was washed away a few years ago and has since been rebuilt). I don't know much about the section from Clapham to Ingleton.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Not all of that is cycleway though - the bit from Luton to Harpenden and a bit from Wheathampstead to Ayot, whereas Hatfield St Albans is virtually complete.
And most of the cycle path along the busway between Dunstable and Luton. That’s much of the old railway route.

TheBigD

Established Member
...unlike the viaducts at Kirkby Stephen on the old Stainmore line, which are open and run by a charity...

The viaducts and walks around Kirkby Stephen are part of the Northern Viaduct Trust.

For a cycle path, installing railings on the trackbed away from the parapets would probably be sufficient.

I would suggest Lewes to Uckfield May be an outside contender. Quite a few technical challenges but providing a recreational route that keeps cyclists off the busy and dangerous A26 would be beneficial.
Would be worth it just to antagonise the BML2 crowd!

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Nice thread, obviously the missing bit of the Great Northern Railway Trail between Queensbury and Cullingworth comes to mind although I think they are plans in place for that, subject to permission from relevant landowners.

A while ago I was thinking about connecting up Castleford to Allerton Bywater and the existing trail that runs almost all the way to East Garforth, it would have been great if this was extended to connect into East Garforth station but recently a new housing estate has been built over the old line in Garforth before it was an industrial estate, it maybe possible to run East of the old line but Im not sure how you would get through the local Cricket club.

Apart from the ones already suggested Ingleton/Hawes and those in the works i.e Pateley Bridge I did also once think how Lockwood to Meltham could make a nice path.

I think a more relevant question is: how can we protect old lines that have potential to become cycle paths ?

A0wen

On Moderation
Colne to Skipton...?

I like your style :)

I think that in the Watford area the old Croxley Green branch since any other options seem likely to cost a squillion quid which Herts County Council can't afford and TFL won't pay.

The problem is many of the long closed lines have seen their formation disappear over time, so are more tricky without compulsory land purchase.

I think the Brackmills Branch in Northampton and indeed the old Towcester line as far as the A43 in Northampton would make some sense, though the latter is shadowed by the Grand Union Canal walk, it's not ideal for cycling. (The former might have the merit of killing off once and for all the ludicrous suggestion that the Northampton - Bedford line should be reinstated - given the bus link between the two towns can barely justify an hourly frequency.Why anyone thinks an 8/12 car 700 would somehow be full given that level of demand is beyond me).

RichJF

The missing link of disused East Sussex branch lines between Heathfield & Groombridge; North section of the Cuckoo Line.

The entire disused section from East Grinstead - Groombridge was converted (a la Forest Way) in 1974. The Heathfield - Polegate section was finally converted in 1990.

The missing link is in the hands of a number of private landowners, but the track bed and line are largely intact in major chunks (including bridge/tunnels). Allegedly East Sussex council sold off the old trackbed but now wants to investigate re-purchasing.

Basher

It's great to cycle the existing ones, we have done quite a few. How about the Stainmore line from Bowes to Kirkby Stephen.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Just before Covid, in March 2020 I attended a meeting in Neilston about building a cycle/foot path on the old line to Uplawmoor. Generally people were in favour although there was the odd objection (not sure why as the route passes few houses, and those it does in Neilston already have the route used as an unofficial path). Not much progress since, although I believe the first short section in Neilston is about to be purchased for the scheme. I did suggest building the route in stages rather than all at once, even the first part would avoid a hill out of Neilston (which seems to get steeper every year !) and keep cyclists and walkers off the road.

Lydford to Tavistock would be good as the Granite Way from Okehampton abruptly ends at the former. The onward choices are not good; either a wearisome drag up to Brentor on a fast and dangerous C road or a very rough track alongside the former railway(s) to Mary Tavy. I had to dismount on the latter as it was too diabolical for a road bike. It is part of Euro Velo 1 so we could apply for funds - ah, I see the problem. Naturally I would like to see the railway reopen, but we have two lines to choose from!

S&CLER

Nice thread, obviously the missing bit of the Great Northern Railway Trail between Queensbury and Cullingworth comes to mind although I think they are plans in place for that, subject to permission from relevant landowners.

A while ago I was thinking about connecting up Castleford to Allerton Bywater and the existing trail that runs almost all the way to East Garforth, it would have been great if this was extended to connect into East Garforth station but recently a new housing estate has been built over the old line in Garforth before it was an industrial estate, it maybe possible to run East of the old line but Im not sure how you would get through the local Cricket club.

Apart from the ones already suggested Ingleton/Hawes and those in the works i.e Pateley Bridge I did also once think how Lockwood to Meltham could make a nice path.

I think a more relevant question is: how can we protect old lines that have potential to become cycle paths ?
Isn't part of the Meltham branch used by David Brown as a test track for tractors? I recall walking a bit of it at the Meltham end once, on my way from the top of the Wessenden valley above Marsden to Holmfirth via Blackmoorfoot reservoir.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
It's closed. BRB (Residuary) wanted to open it to the public but the villagers objected. Shame, it would have made a very pleasant section of the Pennine Cycleway.

I'd like to see Blaenau Ffestiniog–Trawsfynydd–Llyn Celyn opened as a cycleway. Superb scenery. The first half has rails in place but is disused; the second half is mostly permissive (boggy) path.

A few more ideas in this thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/what-old-trackbeds-would-make-good-cycleways-greenways.190209/

bramling

Veteran Member
I'd like to see Blaenau Ffestiniog–Trawsfynydd–Llyn Celyn opened as a cycleway. Superb scenery. The first half has rails in place but is disused; the second half is mostly permissive (boggy) path.

I'd be in two minds on that one. A section of this route south of Trawsfynydd is already a path, one of the best railway paths to be found, and part of the reason for that is it's *not* particularly well known, nor waymarked as a cycle trail. In all honesty I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Some ex railway cycleways are too busy nowadays, it's hardly a relaxing experience to hear "bing" every few seconds, which is now the typical experience on something like the Monsal Trail.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'd be in two minds on that one. A section of this route south of Trawsfynydd is already a path, one of the best railway paths to be found, and part of the reason for that is it's *not* particularly well known, nor waymarked as a cycle trail. In all honesty I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Some ex railway cycleways are too busy nowadays, it's hardly a relaxing experience to hear "bing" every few seconds, which is now the typical experience on something like the Monsal Trail.

That just feels a bit elitist to me, perhaps a bit of 'I don't want anyone using this route but me'. Which is understandable to some extent, it is nice to have a nice bit of scenery that isn't well used, even I like to find a path/road not heavily used but fun to cycle along. I have a number of such favourites around here.

To not want others to visit and enjoy the same beauty as you do already, that's not good. Yes I understand it must be frustrating, I get frustrated by groups of dog walkers on a sector nearby that seem to get in the way on purpose, or families that take up the whole width of the path. Said frustration usually disappears very quickly, especially when it dawns on me that they are also out for the same purpose as I am. That is, to get out and about in the fresh air and away from the traffic with all the dangers it brings.

Would I try my best to keep a favourite route hidden? I would consider it, no doubt, but not for long as I would also much more strongly think about how much fun it would be to share the route and the experience with others.

There is an extreme amount of natural beauty in the world, and our country is fortunate enough to have a lot of it. We should celebrate this, and share the news about a really nice area to explore with others.

As for the Monsal Trail, yes it is no doubt often busy but is that a bad thing? This clearly shows it is popular, I haven't been myself yet, but it will happen in due course. I am fortunate I get to go in the middle of the week, when the schools and so forth are in session, so I can enjoy it when it is quieter. Not everyone is as blessed as I am with that possibility, so I understand it must be annoying if you're hearing bells every few minutes. My view then is what would you do if it wasn't popular, and well supported, and left to go to ruin as many paths do when not looked after? As it is a popular route, it is no doubt well cared for, which makes for a better experience for everyone. If this was to change, and no-one cared enough to look after it and it was not well used as a result, what would then be your concern? I would say it is likely that you would then be concerned at the state of the route and want it kept in good condition.

I hope you see what I'm saying, that trying to keep your preferred route in North Wales a secret, and it's going well because even when I looked at the North Wales map yesterday I didn't see such a route available, well it's just not good for humanity as a whole. I'd love others to come down and experience my local routes, there's some really nice areas to explore!

So, closed railways I'd like to convert to a cycle route. Despite it being in sparsely populated territory, I'd love to see the old railway formation between New Radnor, Kington, Leominster and Bromyard (even to Worcester actually too) with a cycle route in its place. It would be well used for leisure cycling, not really much at all for commuting and, unfortunately, there's significant changes to the old formation so it could never re-open fully and absolutely never as a railway. A shared-use path would do in some places, such as Kington where the bypass takes over a fair chunk of route. Similar could be done at New Radnor (the terminus of the railway, it was meant to continue west but it never did), the site is now a caravan park. The rest of the route I'm not too sure on these days, I don't know what's happening at Titley Junction now as once upon a time they were looking to build a heritage railway up there.

Other local choices would be Hereford to Hay on Wye. Another sparsely populated route, and the formation I can't comment on as I've forgot some of the details, but no chance of a railway there again. No commuting available as a sensible option, and the route out of Hereford has been redeveloped in multiple places, same in Credenhill.

I can't think of any others right now, I'm actually due to get up in around 5 hours time to go exploring an old railway amongst other things so I'd best get some sleep!

M&NEJ

It's great to cycle the existing ones, we have done quite a few. How about the Stainmore line from Bowes to Kirkby Stephen.
Getting down to the Belah river and up the other side would be fun; or do you envisage some serious engineering here?

SouthernR

The viaducts are in good condition. The Lune (Waterside) Viaduct at Sedbergh was refurbished in 2008 by the BRB (or whatever it's called now), but no walkway was installed. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/607739 shows the deck before 2008.
Low Gill Viaduct was cleared of trees around the same time. It too remains closed.

Other candidates include extension of the Keswick to Penrith line east of Threlkeld, and the Lancaster to Wennington line east of Brookhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.