• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If you branch off at New Fields Junc it could be Newfields City, if not then Pitts Hill

I see that you are fully entering into the spirit of this particular leg, by even offering mid-loop alternatives...you would qualify for a bonus point if we were scoring this quiz!!....Pitts Hill is the correct one for our route.

Newchapel and Goldenhill

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I just cannot believe that I missed North Rode...it is where Google is showing my location today!! You are approaching my own location in not so many miles north of here..:D

Allowing for the fact that I had already posted Macclesfield Hibel Road in a previous posting, the only other closed station is Longsight...unless you want to take the extra diversionary route that formerly ran from Macclesfield northwards with four closed stations upon it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have found a good one for the next leg..St Helens to Blackburn via the Lancashire Union route...starting from the open station at St Helens.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What about Heaton Norris ?! <D<D

Glad to see your return since your entry on the previous leg in the North Midlands/South Cheshire area and, of course, you are correct with "Heaton Norris", on the other side of the long viaduct that spans Stockport from the existing Stockport station. It was as a result of both the dense fog and railway operational matters that the accident occurred just past Heaton Norris station in 1948. Notwithstanding the fact that Heaton Norris had a locomotive shed there. I think that leg petered out, having found the loop line with all those closed stations upon it.

The current leg from St Helens to Blackburn still has three (or possibly more!!) closed stations upon it still to be named since I posted Heapey and I was expecting somewhat of a lull until our recent contributor returns from holiday. Feel free to join in with this particular leg, then if you win it with the last named closed station, you can set the following leg. Note that the rules have been somewhat refined to allow for more interesting possibilities.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Glad to see you back......:D

Feniscowles.....the final one

Let us now start a new leg, again in the Lancashire area. This time it will be the North Union Railway, from Preston to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, with a good umber of closed stations on it. The first station is.....

Farrington

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Preston Junction/ Lowton

Correct with both names. Query here for you...did Haydock Park Racecourse have a station on this line, before Preston Junction/ Lowton was reached?

This now only leaves the final station to name.......Parkside

In the very early stages of the quiz, the closed stations on the Liverpool and Manchester Railway (14 in all) were supposed to have been answered one at a time, but because of a difference in rules interpretation, a forum member named all 14 of them in a single posting

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As something unusual, we can make the next leg a tribute to the "Docker's Umbrella", officially known by its correct title of the Liverpool Overhead Railway. A dispensation concerning "open stations" at the start and finish is granted for this leg only, but the matter to remember is that all the stations (including those on the extension) must be named, in the correct order.

Starting at the southern extremity, the first station is....

Dingle

ole man

Haydock did have a station but not on the North Union it was on the Liverpool, St Helens& South Lancashire that closed in 2 parts 1965, and 1991.

Next would be Herculaneum Dock