• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Once again -- implicitly believing you-know-who; who seems to opine that Chard Town is a terminus on a short spur off the branch's route proper...

Once again -- implicitly believing you-know-who; who seems to opine that Chard Town is a terminus on a short spur off the branch's route proper...
If I were teaching and found the writer of your tome to be one of my students, I would issue a "see me" comment in order that full details, rather than just the commencement of a history, should have been noted.

The terminal station referred to was south facing and was constructed by the LSWR from its West of England line in 1860. The B&ER line coming from the north then constructed a new avoiding line in 1866 and on that line in 1871, a new joint station called Chard Town was opened and that allowed direct services from Taunton station to Chard Junction station.

DerekC

Established Member
If I were teaching and found the writer of your tome to be one of my students, I would issue a "see me" comment in order that full details, rather than just the commencement of a history, should have been noted.

The terminal station referred to was south facing and was constructed by the LSWR from its West of England line in 1860. The B&ER line coming from the north then constructed a new avoiding line in 1866 and on that line in 1871, a new joint station called Chard Town was opened and that allowed direct services from Taunton station to Chard Junction station.

As I understand it the joint LSWR/B&ER station was Chard Central (correctly called in post #93907). Chard Town was indeed a terminus originally, but according to my copy of Colin G Maggs' Somerset Railways:

"From the opening of Chard Joint station on 1st September 1866 the LSWR trains from Chard Junction ran to Chard Town and then reversed before proceeding along the new line to Chard Joint. To avoid that time-wasting movement a platform was built on the through line close to Chard Town station ..."
The platform can be seen on OS maps from 1888 on.

Yeovil Hendford
I have a feeling that Yeovil Hendford had two locations at different times but I can't find the evidence so moving swiftly on:

Montacute

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As I understand it the joint LSWR/B&ER station was Chard Central (correctly called in post #93907). Chard Town was indeed a terminus originally, but according to my copy of Colin G Maggs' Somerset Railways:

The platform can be seen on OS maps from 1888 on.

I have a feeling that Yeovil Hendford had two locations at different times but I can't find the evidence so moving swiftly on:

Montacute
It certainly is a day for queries to raise their heads. Prior to Montacute, was there not a station called Hendford Halt? That halt was a late opener on the line, just a single platform, being opened on 2nd May 1932 and finally closed in 1964

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks, people, for all the above material re Chard. (I won't endeavour to get into matters concerning Yeovil / Hendford, re which I could offer very little to the purpose anyway !)

A lesson I find hard to learn (I find a powerful incentive toward being lazy, and not breaking off to refer Net-and-screen-wise to Wiki) -- not to rely too much, solely on the various "dead tree"" railway atlases which I have ! Which with me, are: the Ian Allan Pre-Grouping Atlas & Gazetteer; Jowett's Railway Atlas; and Dewick's Complete Atlas of Railway Station Names. Of these: Ian Allan tends to be "broad-brush" and poor on detail; Jowett ditto -- the "feeling got" is that one of these most of the time, slavishly copies the other: I realise that this is likely not what those concerned are actually doing -- think, for what it's worth, that of the two, Ian Allan was "in the field" first. Dewick is often better on detail; though not always marvellous thereon; and seems not infrequently, to be living in a world all of his own.

All of the above atlases fail to show correct detail re Chard, as laid out in this thread. They all depict two stations in the town of Chard; one more northerly / easterly than the other, located on the through route, and called variously between the atlases: Chard Central / Chard (Joint) / just Chard -- Ian Allan and Jowett seem to show LSWR / GWR handover at different points; Dewick is basically black-and-white and doesn't differentiate between different companies' trackage. All show, just a spur branching off the "main" route, to the left, south of reaching Chard "Central / Joint / whatever", and running into a plain terminus; which Ian Allan and Jowett call "Chard LSW Goods", Dewick "Chard Town". None give any indication of the "extra platform bit" allowing through workings to call at Chard Town.

The Wiki entry on "Taunton -- Chard", however; does show on its diagrammatic map, both the terminal spur and the through-route Chard Town option; and describes that situation in its text -- echoing, above, Maggs via @DerekC.

Memo to self: if want an overall good shot at getting things right -- bestir self to refer to Wiki, as opposed to just taking the books as "gospel" !

DerekC

Established Member
Durston

It certainly is a day for queries to raise their heads. Prior to Montacute, was there not a station called Hendford Halt? That halt was a late opener on the line, just a single platform, being opened on 2nd May 1932 and finally closed in 1964
Absolutely right - apologies. I was confusing the early station of Yeovil Hendford with the halt