• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coaches using motorway service areas as interchange points

Status
Not open for further replies.

I seem to recall Walace Arnold used Gordano services on the M5 South of Bristol at J19 as a changeover point, easily accessible by public transport and by car without going onto the Motorway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Several coach holiday companies e.g. Shearings do this, operating a system of feeder coaches to all towns in a given area and then the main service to a full range of destinations, where it would be impossible to fill a coach with enough passengers all going from the same origin to the same destination. Pre-covid they had their own dedicated interchange at Stretton near Warrington which is now used by the government for essential Brexit related purposes, but others used more rudimentary interchanges at motorway services. I don’t know what they do now.
ISTR that Shearings also used the M1's London Gateway service area (then Scratchwood) which meant that several services heading radially to London could take the M25 to J6, then down to the exchange. Then they went back up to the M25 and head off radially to other destinations.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Speaking of access to service areas, I wonder if a scheduled coach service would be allowed to use a “rear exit” as part of its route?
I wouldn't have thought so. The MSA I worked at was very strict about use of the non-motorway access. I recall having to negotiate with the boss about permitting a recovery vehicle through in order to access a nearby garage.

Falcon1200

Established Member
One coach company that did use Abingdon Services as an Interchange for a short while was Silver Choice, which ran coaches from Scotland to London on a number of routes that changed frequently. At one brief point their (I think) East Kilbride and Hamilton & Perth and somewhere services fed into the Glasgow and Edinburgh - London services at Abingdon.

Pedant alert: Would that be Abington Services on the M74, Abingdon is in Oxfordshire !

Man of Kent

Not coaches, but Harthill (Westbound) has a little network of local services that do so; https://bustimes.org/stops/61601648 (interchange with the Scottish Citylink 900 / AIR / N900 services that someone mentioned earlier).
Closer study of the map shows that a rather clever layout, with the route used by local buses, leading to a car park at the services, is an ordinary road with no physical connection for vehicles to access or egress the motorway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Closer study of the map shows that a rather clever layout, with the route used by local buses, leading to a car park at the services, is an ordinary road with no physical connection for vehicles to access or egress the motorway.

Interesting. That of course is what the strictness is about - preventing the services causing issues on minor roads locally by becoming an unofficial junction.

This is dealt with a different way on newer service areas - it's been found that it's much easier to just build new service areas (e.g. Rugby) at existing junctions, the existing junction allowing for access/egress/for the service area to be used by non-motorway traffic if they wish and for easy, safe access to one area for both directions, reducing build cost. It's actually a bit odd that they didn't do that originally.

PeterC

Established Member
ISTR that Shearings also used the M1's London Gateway service area (then Scratchwood) which meant that several services heading radially to London could take the M25 to J6, then down to the exchange. Then they went back up to the M25 and head off radially to other destinations.
They have a dedicated area behind the main building, presumably with their own facilities as there is no direct connection.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Interesting. That of course is what the strictness is about - preventing the services causing issues on minor roads locally by becoming an unofficial junction.

This is dealt with a different way on newer service areas - it's been found that it's much easier to just build new service areas (e.g. Rugby) at existing junctions, the existing junction allowing for access/egress/for the service area to be used by non-motorway traffic if they wish and for easy, safe access to one area for both directions, reducing build cost. It's actually a bit odd that they didn't do that originally.
It isn't suitable everywhere. For example Leicester Forest East services is very busy in high season, being roughly the halfway point between Leeds and London. The junctions either side are also particularly busy, so combining the services with either would overwhelm the junction. It does work at quieter areas, such as Cullompton on the M5.

Caboose Class

Going back about 12 years or so, Shearings used to use Washington Services on the A1(M) as a feeder point for their coach holidays up to Scotland. Don't know if they still do.

robertclark125

Established Member
I mentioned the 900 stopping at Harthill services, and someone mentioned rear access roads. I know coaches would not be permitted to use them, purely as that's not the purpose of a rear exit.

Anyway here's a rear access link.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I mentioned the 900 stopping at Harthill services, and someone mentioned rear access roads. I know coaches would not be permitted to use them, purely as that's not the purpose of a rear exit.

Anyway here's a rear access link.

They're usually gated or barriered anyway. At the MSA I worked at, they were generally only used for staff access and for people booked in the motel on the southbound side to gain access from the northbound side.

busken

National Express coaches serving Reading stop at the Mereoak Park and Ride at M4 junc11 rather than going into the town. Regular bus service from there or easily accessible by car.

achmelvic

Several coach holiday companies e.g. Shearings do this, operating a system of feeder coaches to all towns in a given area and then the main service to a full range of destinations, where it would be impossible to fill a coach with enough passengers all going from the same origin to the same destination. Pre-covid they had their own dedicated interchange at Stretton near Warrington which is now used by the government for essential Brexit related purposes, but others used more rudimentary interchanges at motorway services. I don’t know what they do now.

There was a matching facility at M62 J31 (Castleford/Normanton) which allowed interchanges between different Shearing's services with its own amenities building.

After Shearing went kerput last year it was boarded up and then sold off. It appears to have been bought by Maritime Transport who already run the Wakefield Europort rail terminal down the road, a lot of the land is being concreted over at the moment, I assume it'll be some kind of staging area for container trucks going to/from the rail terminal?

markymark2000

On Moderation
One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the National Express/Eurolines services which ran Pre Covid. They would have connection at Lymm from Liverpool and Leeds 061 services onto the main service which ran to Holyhead and onto the boat to Dublin. This was a relatively strange arrangement that I haven't seen before. All timed connections.

Burtonwood services is set up as an interchange. I believe it is an Alfa Travel interchange.

Ploughman

Established Member
Are there still Friday special coach services from the South from near Salisbury to the North West and North East returning on Sunday nights?
Always wondered what the locals in Malmesbury thought of the reversing beepers and loud talking from at least 3 coaches changing passengers at 02.00 in the morning in a housing estate back in 1980.

asb

Are there still Friday special coach services from the South from near Salisbury to the North West and North East returning on Sunday nights?
Always wondered what the locals in Malmesbury thought of the reversing beepers and loud talking from at least 3 coaches changing passengers at 02.00 in the morning in a housing estate back in 1980.
Reversing beepers should be turned off at that time of night I think.

Ken H

On Moderation
Nat express used to use Warwick A46 Services as a stop. Until they moved to Warwick Parkway stn. Avoids getting in the traffic in Leamington and Stratford. OK it's just a garage and caff on a dual carriageway but it's close enough I think.

randyrippley

Established Member
There used to be a daily coach service Newcastle-Blackpool, I think Primrose Coaches.
Made a handful of intermediate stops, all I believe at motorway service stations. For instance Lancaster (Forton) services was one pickup point

markymark2000

On Moderation
There used to be a daily coach service Newcastle-Blackpool, I think Primrose Coaches.
Made a handful of intermediate stops, all I believe at motorway service stations. For instance Lancaster (Forton) services was one pickup point
Now the B66 ran by JH Coaches Friday and Monday I think it is. NX sells tickets for it though.

randyrippley

Established Member
Now the B66 ran by JH Coaches Friday and Monday I think it is. NX sells tickets for it though.
Just looked it up - routes changed, now goes via the A6 and Garstang missing Forton services. Still uses Tebay though

gingerheid

Established Member

Oh - well spotted! My mental image of the site is probably about 15 years out of date!

Flying Snail

Established Member
One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the National Express/Eurolines services which ran Pre Covid. They would have connection at Lymm from Liverpool and Leeds 061 services onto the main service which ran to Holyhead and onto the boat to Dublin. This was a relatively strange arrangement that I haven't seen before. All timed connections.

That was introduced to fill in for the cancellation of the direct Dublin-Leeds service.

Considering how much financial difficulty they are in due to covid and how much retrenchment of their core express network has taken place it wouldn't be a surprise if Bus Eireann did not resume the service at all.

robertclark125

Established Member
Speaking of access to service areas, I wonder if a scheduled coach service would be allowed to use a “rear exit” as part of its route?
It could be complicated. Obviously, there would have to be permission from the services owner, e.g. Welcome Break or Moto, and also one would imagine insurance would need to be checked to make sure cover was provided on the rear exit. That's one thing about people trying to use rear exists as short cuts, i.e. unauthorised; if something happened to them on the rear exit, would their insurance cover them?

The other thing is, the traffic commissioner has the right to refuse an application, and could do so if the service used a rear exit. Be aware as well, some services are only on one side of the motorway, e.g. Hamilton northbound M74 only, Bothwell southbound M74 only. And even when services are on both sides, the rear exits may not take you to the same road.

randyrippley

Established Member
Lancaster (Forton) has scheduled (though private) staff buses using the back access
There is actually a signposted bus route through the lanes from the southbound access to the A6.

Having said that, local folklore has it that when the motorway was built there were legal conditions guaranteeing back-door access for local residents imposed by the county council. Seems unlikely but it's widely believed.

paul1609

Established Member
Both Eurolines and Shearings had stops at the M20 Folkestone Services on their Channel Tunnel services, it had easy access from Westenhanger Station especially if you climbed over the fence alongside the public footpath!

busken

According to National Express time table they use Mereoak park and ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.