• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic “Things you like” (i.e things that please you in a lighthearted way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Go on then. ;)
As alternative version of this thread…

Leaving work an hour early when you weren’t expecting it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I can think of three things:
  • Finding myself on a train (or on the way to the station with the intention of going somewhere by train) after waking up not expecting to. Especially if it's a heritage railway because they're more of a day out :)
  • Thinking it's Monday and then remembering it's Sunday (even better if it's actually Saturday)
  • Putting something together for the model railway and it working first time without needing to be fixed
-Peter

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The comedic thing I like is the fact that this thread has had far less reaction than the "dislike" thread :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I was thinking that. :lol:
It's a different part of the brain drawing these things out. Whether a rail forum is more or less likely to achieve good results on that, I couldn't possibly comment! Please note nothing comes into my mind, at least nothing I'm prepared to share. :)

nlogax

Established Member
I'll kick it off..

- An unexpectedly free day in the middle of a busy spell
- That extra half hour of sleep after an alarm that wasn't supposed to sound
- Fizzy cola bottles
- Impromptu drinks that turn into memorable nights out

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll kick it off..

- An unexpectedly free day in the middle of a busy spell
- Fizzy cola bottles
- Impromptu drinks that turn into memorable nights out

All of those chimed with me.

Darandio

Established Member

Expanding on this one further. That moment when you wake up automatically for work because your body clock is tuned in then realise it's a day off and you can go back to sleep. It's quite the feeling.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Impromptu drinks that turn into memorable nights out

Always the best nights.

From the days of buying records.... buying one ‘blind’ ie not knowing if it was going to be any good, then when you first listen to it find out it is an absolute belter.

Getting charged less at the till for an item than the price ticket on the shelf (I swear some shops do this deliberately to make you feel thst you are getting a good deal).

SteveM70

Established Member
Finishing work on a Friday teatime and the optimism of the weekend ahead

A long walk in the winter followed by dinner and beer in a country pub with a real fire

The Archers

The road from Pickering to Whitby (partly because it’s beautiful up there and partly because it reminds me of happier times)

A proper pot of tea

The smell of coal smoke

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I like playing 20 year old video games because I know how the computer in say Civilization 3 thinks, and it never learns, making the same mistake every time.
I like cafes that allow you to have custom orders and remember that order for the entire future.
I like finding random rubbish objects on the stree, some are useful, like a pen I use on all my minesweeper puzzles.
I like when passing someone in the street, they nod or smile back.
I like turning a device on after 6 months of it being off, to find it fully charged (Those Nintendo DS Lite batteries are great).
I like it when the cat acts like seeing me is great.
I like it when there's a big window and you can sit and watch people outside go by.
I like it when my best friend puts selfies of herself up, with added teddy ears, she is amazing.
I like it when about to use a lift, it opens as someone just came down.
I like it when I get a birthday card, designed for kids.
I like it when a BMW driver uses an indicator when turning.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Finding the last parking space in the car park.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Having three food stores within ten minutes walk.

Being retired (a big thing). Meeting people I know in my small town (happens most days I go into town).

Screeching kiddies enjoying themselves at the playground.

gg1

Established Member
Successfully tossing a pancake.

Other people's dogs running up to me wanting to play (although I think that one was in someone else's ban list on the other thread).

When weighing out ingredients for cooking, getting exactly the right weight at the first attempt (the cooking equivalent of a hole in one).

Witnessing people driving like idiots but doing so in front of an unmarked police car.

Calthrop

Established Member
The comedic thing I like is the fact that this thread has had far less reaction than the "dislike" thread :)
I was thinking that. :lol:
It's a different part of the brain drawing these things out. Whether a rail forum is more or less likely to achieve good results on that, I couldn't possibly comment! Please note nothing comes into my mind, at least nothing I'm prepared to share. :)

A site which could in some respects be seen as a "rival" of this one -- viz. "National Preservation" -- has in its "General Chat" section, a thread titled "Things that wind me up"; and another titled "Things that cheer me up". As at present, the former has clocked up 815 screen "pages""; the latter, 543 ...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
When you find an extra £10 or £20 in your bag that you forget you had.
Yes, good one: to be countered though by those times that tenner you knew you had in your wallet has miraculously disappeared! Related to that, checking your bank balance at the ATM and it's larger than you thought (doesn't happen too often).

Strathclyder

Established Member
The warmth of the first sip of the morning's cup of tea spreading through your body. Nothing else like it.

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
Accidentally putting an exact, round amount (either volume or price) of petrol/diesel into a car. Eg: the cost is £10.00.
Sometimes I do this deliberately if I'm buying with cash. Far more satisfying if you only realise when you put the nozzle back in the stand!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Accidentally putting an exact, round amount (either volume or price) of petrol/diesel into a car. Eg: the cost is £10.00.
Sometimes I do this deliberately if I'm buying with cash. Far more satisfying if you only realise when you put the nozzle back in the stand!

Hell yeah. When you hold onto the nozzle and see it spooling up, you let go somewhere around £19.94 and it stops bang on twenty quid.
That’s a good feeling. :lol:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Hell yeah. When you hold onto the nozzle and see it spooling up, you let go somewhere around £19.94 and it stops bang on twenty quid.
That’s a good feeling. :lol:

Sainsbury's have the facility which allows you to preset the exact amount. The only thing is that you don't get those extra dribbles of fuel just before the counter ticks over to the next penny.

scotrail158713

Established Member
That extra half hour of sleep after an alarm that wasn't supposed to sound
Somewhat similar is when I wake up in the middle of the night, realise that it's the middle of the night, and therefore can go back to sleep for another few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.