• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Meerkat

Established Member
Ban the use of “lived experience”. Its no different to ‘experience’ it’s just used to make it sound more meaningful when trying to using anecdote to outweigh data.
Ban strimmers, garden hoovers, leaf blowers and jet washes. especially silly when people use them for hours then go to the gym for exercise. (Or at least ban petrol ones and put really strict noise and time limits on them…).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Ban the use of the phrase "I trust my immune system" - something that has taken off a bit online amongst antivaxxers.

Grumpus63

A minor irritant that I see almost daily when reading posts on social media is the increasing replacement of the word "have" with "of".

e.g. "I should of caught the earlier train" is not correct and should read "I should have caught the earlier train". I always thought that certain types preferred using four-letter words when conveying their messages but clearly I was mistaken.

I should of known better (deliberate mistake - chuckle!).

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I get a bit disgruntled when people do not know the difference between 'engine' and 'train', someone just wrote in the Guardian how sick he was of the trains/engines "Thomas and Friends".

Worst of all, he hates the Percy engine most of all.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Worst of all, he hates the Percy engine most of all.
I have always found Percy quite charming; he understands that he is doing a good job for the railway and does it in a friendly and good-natured way, unlike James, Gordon or perhaps even Thomas, who have too much of an ego. Edward is similar, though definitely comes across as wiser, older, and perhaps more risk-averse.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have always found Percy quite charming; he understands that he is doing a good job for the railway and does it in a friendly and good-natured way, unlike James, Gordon or perhaps even Thomas, who have too much of an ego. Edward is similar, though definitely comes across as wiser, older, and perhaps more risk-averse.

Very good assessment there. I’d like to nominate Duck as another decent sort.
Daisy is irritating though and has ideas well above her status as a Bog Cart…

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Those official "social distancing" photographs of politicians etc stood exactly 2 metres apart.

Because you know the very second the camera turns away, they're brushing shoulders and slapping each other on the back.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Reminds me of a Twitter thread listing Thomas characters and how they would have voted in the Brexit referendum.

-Thomas an unquestioned remainer
-Duck you thought was nice until you realise he voted leave and now you're not so sure
-Cranky wants to be a leaver, but votes Remain because he knows what pays his bill

THREAD: How the Thomas the Tank Engine characters voted in the EU referendum. THOMAS: Remain. Really likes the BBC's Brexitcast podcast and recommends it to everybody. https://t.co/JCB8gRInZM

Last edited:

bspahh

Established Member
Ban the use of the phrase "I trust my immune system" - something that has taken off a bit online amongst antivaxxers.
I trust my immune system.

I trust it to keep a breeding population alive, to keep the species going. I'm not so confident of it keeping me alive.

daveo

People who mess with others' messages and then add "fixed that for you".

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Couple more things to add:

Subaru Imprezas: they have stupid gold wheel rims and stupid massive spoilers (that probably has bugger all effect at generating downforce) and massive exhausts that generate an absolute racket (it's not even nice; I can appreciate a nice car engine sound but those, just... no) and the driver is inevitably some moron in a tracksuit with fake gold jewellery (maybe some face tattoos to add) who thinks he's the latest big name rapper. Ugh.

People who walk slowly but don't recognise the fact and thus take up as much walking space as it seems possible for them to take.

Fanboys of anything. If I see someone fanboying over something (as in, constantly babbling on about how great it is and how it has zero faults and is so perfect it must be preserved in a museum as it is literally the most perfect thing to have ever been created) then I automatically take a dislike to it. It's just annoying.

Posts on social media asking people to like that person's most recent post. Thanks, I saw it before and didn't like it but now I've seen you telling me to like it I'm definitely going to do that now!

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'd ban the phrase "reached out" in situations where the person in question didn't actually reach out of anything, they sat at their computer and wrote an email.

Some days I write quite a number of emails, and I don't get a fancy word for it!

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Ban the phrase 'social distancing' <(

Replace it with 'physical distancing'; it's more accurate and doesn't imply intentional rudeness/coldness.

hst43102

Subaru Imprezas: they have stupid gold wheel rims and stupid massive spoilers (that probably has bugger all effect at generating downforce) and massive exhausts that generate an absolute racket (it's not even nice; I can appreciate a nice car engine sound but those, just... no) and the driver is inevitably some moron in a tracksuit with fake gold jewellery (maybe some face tattoos to add) who thinks he's the latest big name rapper. Ugh.
I assume you're from the Mitsubishi Evo camp? :D

Ianno87

Veteran Member
On a flight, people who like to like to make a big show of the fact that they're not watching the safety demonstration (e.g. have their broadsheet newspaper out in front of them)

pdeaves

Established Member
Fanboys of anything. If I see someone fanboying over something (as in, constantly babbling on about how great it is and how it has zero faults and is so perfect it must be preserved in a museum as it is literally the most perfect thing to have ever been created) then I automatically take a dislike to it. It's just annoying.
You've seen all the HST and 442 posts, I assume :lol:

westv

Established Member
On the food front, all shops should be banned from stocking normal and gluten free sandwiches together. More than once I've grabbed some in a rush to eat and found I've ended up with gluten free. Yuck!

Background music on "serious" talk programmes on radio 4, grrr.
Sad music played to accompany a sad news story on the news.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
Ban the phrase 'social distancing' <(

Replace it with 'physical distancing'; it's more accurate and doesn't imply intentional rudeness/coldness.

Indeed.

The phrase in France is "distancation physique" which is a more accurate representation of what is being asked.

Can will make it illegal for any newspaper or media outlet to give airtime to the Duke and Duchess of Montecito, and their constant, self pitying, nauseating whining about how badly off they are and how everyone is against them.

Kite159

Veteran Member

I would go further and ban the sort of modifications to cars which "slam" then to the ground (hardly any ground clearance or suspension). Or those who decide to replace the rear tyres with extra wide ones for no reason (especially on a front wheel drive 'warm' hatchback).

75A

Established Member
I found the EVO10 to be a very enjoyable car to drive.
You could trundle round at 40mph or flap the paddles and drive like a complete lunatic. Before anyone comments, this was at Silverstone under controlled conditions.