• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
People who talk about taking a "holistic approach" to things

Often these are the Lobby Group types trying to shift focus from a clear problem with a clear solution, the corporate shills who are being paid by the gambling/ sugar/ tobacco/ alcohol (etc) industry to front some supposedly "grassroots" campaign organisation - they can't deny the obvious improvements that could be made so they disingenuously try to shift focus to some "bigger picture" stuff in the hope that people will be too dumb and forget the simple problem that we were trying to solve

For example, to come up with a ridiculously hypothetical situation, let's say that there were adverts for betting companies during the ad-breaks in Peppe Pig... you'd have some spokesperson on the news explaining patronisingly that "gambling is a complex problem and this move wouldn't be a magic bullet to solve all of the deep seated problems that society has and really we need to take a holistic approach instead of banning things" - that faux reasonableness, which looks at face value like it's understanding the complicated nature of things, but is really just a bunch of disingenuous hogwash intended to distract us from making a very obvious improvement (by effectively saying that there's no point in making an obvious improvement since it wouldn't solve every single problem under the sun)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The catch-all 'like Marmite', as everyone is supposed to either love or loathe it, whereas I don't mind eating it occasionally, but only on bread.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The catch-all 'like Marmite', as everyone is supposed to either love or loathe it, whereas I don't mind eating it occasionally, but only on bread.
Assuming you count toast and other bread products (e.g. crumpets) as bread, it's not clear what else you could eat Marmite on anyway!
Just a spoonful of it would be absolutely disgusting

Grumpus63

Can will make it illegal for any newspaper or media outlet to give airtime to the Duke and Duchess of Montecito, and their constant, self pitying, nauseating whining about how badly off they are and how everyone is against them.
Yep, agree.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Assuming you count toast and other bread products (e.g. crumpets) as bread, it's not clear what else you could eat Marmite on anyway!Just a spoonful of it would be absolutely disgusting
I see Marmite branded products around in stores.

island

Veteran Member
@tbtc "Nobody likes traffic wardens"
I like traffic wardens, I love them, I wish there were many more!

Perhaps 'jokes' about traffic wardens could be banned?
On the subject, people using the term "traffic warden" incorrectly. (Officials who enforce parking restrictions and hand out parking tickets are called civil enforcement officers.)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Civil enforcement officers, traffic law enforcement police, I love them all.

They come out about once a year round here. Sadly nothing to laugh about.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Civil enforcement officers, traffic law enforcement police, I love them all.

They come out about once a year round here. Sadly nothing to laugh about.
There is a rather exclusive (by wealth, not by any measure of academic potential) private secondary school near where I live; I reckon if every traffic offence on the road past it by parents at school drop-off/pick-up time was ticketed, the income could sustainably fund the road system for the surrounding area well into the future.

(Well maybe not quite, but you get the drift - there is an awful lot of extremely selfish driving round there)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Yep, agree.

Non reporting on "the Royals" would effectively close down the Express group newspapers , who seem to carry a huge amount of such material. Both current and stuff dredged up from the past.

Agree - sick of the reportage they get. All over.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Non reporting on "the Royals" would effectively close down the Express group newspapers , who seem to carry a huge amount of such material. Both current and stuff dredged up from the past.
That reminds me - I'd also ban reporting on anything because of a meaningless or bizarrely-numbered anniversary. Local newspapers are particularly bad for this e .g. "Today marks 7 months since the re-painting of the bus shelter outside the Co-op on Acacia Road!"

Jimini

Established Member

Agree - sick of the reportage they get. All over.

Northern & Shell (Express Newspapers) were sold to Reach PLC (The Mirror) about three years ago.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Gossip columns in newspapers. I have no interest if some minor nonentity is sh*gging someone who is not their spouse / partner. Indeed, I have no interest in the activities of so-called celebrities, many of whom have little real talent, but are fond of ego trips, and are often grossly overpaid and overrated. .

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Gossip columns in newspapers. I have no interest if some minor nonentity is sh*gging someone who is not their spouse / partner. Indeed, I have no interest in the activities of so-called celebrities, many of whom have little real talent, but are fond of ego trips, and are often grossly overpaid and overrated. .

I think vacuous Z list celebrities need to be added to the list anyway don’t they?

duncanp

Established Member
Another thing I would like to ban would be those companies that ask you to fill out a satisfaction survey or write a review every time you buy something or interact with them.

I travelled from London to Birmingham on Saturday, and now Avanti want me to fill out a survey telling them whether I enjoyed the journey.

Amazon are the same.

I recently had to make a complaint to my energy supplier. (about using estimated readings when I gave them an accurate reading <( ) They fixed the problem, but now want me to fill in a survey about whether I was happy with the service I received.

If you used the correct reading in the first place, then I wouldn't need to fill in a survey about whether I was happy with the way you dealt with my complaint. <(<(

I am in grumpy old *** mode this morning.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Another thing I would like to ban would be those companies that ask you to fill out a satisfaction survey or write a review every time you buy something or interact with them.
Last month I used an ATM to pay a cheque into my current account. The next day the bank emailed me asking me to "Share my experience of using an ATM at our branch in [town name]".

Really? This process involves putting a card into a reader, typing my PIN, selecting "Cheque Deposit", then sliding a bit of paper into a slot and pressing "Confirm". The whole process took barely over a minute, which is quite literally less time than the survey about it would have taken.