• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Earl Grey tea should be banned. If I wanted my tea to taste like perfume I'd be drinking it in the entrance of Debenhams.
Be a little tricky given that the last Debenhams store closed in May 2021 and I reckon that any stocks of unsold perfume will have probably all been shifted by now.

Agree though that Earl Grey tea is well over-rated, and has a distinctive aroma as if the tea cup it's in hasn't been properly rinsed when last washed! ;)

BanburyBlue

Be a little tricky given that the last Debenhams store closed in May 2021 and I reckon that any stocks of unsold perfume will have probably all been shifted by now.

Agree though that Earl Grey tea is well over-rated, and has a distinctive aroma as if the tea cup it's in hasn't been properly rinsed when last washed! ;)
Agreed. Have no time for Earl Grey. If I want a black tea I aleats go for a Darjeeling.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh Darjeeling I have not yet tried, but then I only tried Earl Grey for the first time recently. I barely noticed the smell, apart from the first sniff, but the taste upgrade from normal tea was huge so it has become my new favourite. Now I'm finally finished with a box of normal teabags, I'll be buying some Earl Grey later :D Might have to get some Darjeeling too!

xotGD, I've never tried green tea with milk, so I can't comment there. I do like the green tea with lemon I bought in Asda though, that's nice at the end of a day to unwind in the armchair with :)

birchesgreen

Established Member
I only drink assam, with milk of course.

Anyway however you like your tea is the proper way to have it, i'd ban people who sneer at other people's tea methods.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
People that drive chelsea tractors and complain about the cost of petrol

More generally, people claiming to "need" to drive when if they really analysed it, there is so much need (other than maybe saving them 10 minutes per day)

gg1

Established Member
Earl Grey tea should be banned. If I wanted my tea to taste like perfume I'd be drinking it in the entrance of Debenhams.
Agreed, and Echinacea tea can join it.

i'd ban people who sneer at other people's tea methods.
Within reason. Weirdos who put the milk in their mug before the teabag and the water fully deserve all the derision they receive :lol:

gg1

Established Member
My tea method is never to drink the horrible stuff at all.
Much like my coffee method then.

Tea haters have it easier as at least it only has a very mild odour. If anyone drinks coffee in my general vicinity I'm subjected to the foul stench of the stuff.

gg1

Established Member
Ebay's updated categorisation system for model railway stuff should be banned. As should lazy sellers who put stuff in the wrong category.
Ah, eBay and their 'improvements'. What have they done now?

I'm not really interested in railway modelling but do build model aircraft kits, hopefully they haven't screwed around with those too.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ah, eBay and their 'improvements'. What have they done now?

I'm not really interested in railway modelling but do build model aircraft kits, hopefully they haven't screwed around with those too.
The "gauge" category is now way further down the chain (so easier to miss), and manufacturers are listed alphabetically rather than in order of the number of results.

Also, they've started using the term "Railroad" even in the UK. :rolleyes:

py_megapixel

Established Member
Within reason. Weirdos who put the milk in their mug before the teabag and the water fully deserve all the derision they receive :lol:
Well yes, they should be first up against the wall :lol:
In my opinion, valid orders are:

Teabag, water
Teabag, milk, water
Teabag, milk, water, sugar
Teabag, water, milk
Teabag, water, milk, sugar

The tea always goes in before the hot water. Otherwise you get no flavour out of it.

gg1

Established Member
Teabag, water
Teabag, milk, water
Teabag, water, milk

Acceptable
Wrong
Wrong
Acceptable
Correct

Adding milk before water affects the taste IMO.

The "gauge" category is now way further down the chain (so easier to miss), and manufacturers are listed alphabetically rather than in order of the number of results.

Also, they've started using the term "Railroad" even in the UK. :rolleyes:
Hmm, similar with model kits.

Just searched for "MiG 21", browsed the models category. In the main view on the left of the screen the short summary list of manufacturers is in a completely random order, click to expand to the full list and it's then in alphabetical order.

Last edited:

PeterY

Established Member
In my opinion, valid orders are:

Teabag, water
Teabag, milk, water
Teabag, water, milk

The tea always goes in before the hot water. Otherwise you get no flavour out of it.
The only way is Teabag, boiling hot water and then milk last (and not a lot of milk either):D:D:D

Yes Earl Grey, is like drinking perfume :( :( :( :(

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm starting to feel that this board merits the "sub-title" of UK Tea Connoisseurs' and Impassioned Partisans' Forums ...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh dear. Well it didn’t happen to me but I’m feeling sorry for her.

Mrs C drove off with her phone left on the roof of the car earlier with the inevitable result…

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The only way is Teabag, boiling hot water and then milk last (and not a lot of milk either):D:D:D

Yes Earl Grey, is like drinking perfume :( :( :( :(

I had a large Earl Grey from Pumpkin today (wasn't planning to, given their prices, but it happened) and I didn't get an assault on the nasal passages. Mind you, it was PG Tips Earl Grey, possibly something to do with it :lol:

As for the comment someone else made about poppies, I must say I had completely forgot it was that time of year. I must make an effort to get one soon.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Social Distancing on TV shows (e.g. presenters sat 2 metres apart). Because you know it's all for show, and they're hugging/back-slapping each other the very second the cameras are switched off.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Social Distancing on TV shows (e.g. presenters sat 2 metres apart). Because you know it's all for show, and they're hugging/back-slapping each other the very second the cameras are switched off.

I'll agree with that.

I was waiting for my TV to finish waking up earlier, for it to pick up a WiFi signal, and had to endure a small bit of that Steph's Packed Lunch. Not only would I ban such nonsense TV, but on it today at that time was a segment about 'everyday hacks that will change your life'. At that point, the 'hack' was removing the inner tube from a roll of bathroom paper and pulling some of it through. The premise to make it work more like a box of tissues.

"Oh wow! I MUST try that!" said no one, anywhere, ever! Thankfully shortly afterwards I was able to press the YouTube button on my remote, not before I had to endure the most well known 'hack' ever, the one with the tab on a can of fizzy pop being used to hold a straw in place. Another one of those 'hacks' I can't see how it changes someone's life, not as infuriating as the paper roll one granted. That really annoyed me somehow!