• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D821

You call that baiting people? Amateur. Everyone knows you should have said it's OK to put pineapple on pizza (which it is btw).
I work with two Italians who would take great umbrage at that!
Strangely enough, using or not using cream in Carbonara sauce is quite a divisive issue, apparently.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I work with two Italians who would take great umbrage at that!
I was berated by an Italian waitress in London for opting for brown sugar with my cappuccino - she told me no Italian would do so.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
''You guys''. Why does this Americanism really get under my skin? The first time I ever heard it used in a unisex way was actually by a Canadian colleague of whom I was very fond, so it took some time and many other users before it really grated. I'm not proposing 'guys and gals' be used instead, especially in the light of Jimmy Savile's use of that expression, but pleeeease restrict it.

MattRat

On Moderation
''You guys''. Why does this Americanism really get under my skin? The first time I ever heard it used in a unisex way was actually by a Canadian colleague of whom I was very fond, so it took some time and many other users before it really grated. I'm not proposing 'guys and gals' be used instead, especially in the light of Jimmy Savile's use of that expression, but pleeeease restrict it.
Any different saying would require more syllables than most people can handle (yes really). Feel free to prove me wrong on both fronts though.

MattRat

On Moderation
I don't think I can recall that particular phrase being used unironically.
I think it's mainly used unironically in the USA. I probably shouldn't care that much given I live in the UK far away for those people, but that's how much it bugs me.

Cdd89

Established Member
Television ads featuring commercial music where six cuts have been made to rush through fragments of the entire song in a 15 second spot, leaving the thing dead in the process.

And since it’s nearly December, a festive edition of the above for companies slashing down their Christmas jingles in the same way.

I’d like to think they’re ashamed of their work, but I suspect editing fatigue where they don’t consider how it sounds to a fresh ear…

MattRat

On Moderation
Television ads featuring commercial music where six cuts have been made to rush through fragments of the entire song in a 15 second spot, leaving the thing dead in the process.

And since it’s nearly December, a festive edition of the above for companies slashing down their Christmas jingles in the same way.

I’d like to think they’re ashamed of their work, but I suspect editing fatigue where they don’t consider how it sounds to a fresh ear…
It's still November. Christmas hype before December should be banned in general.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

It annoys me too, and when I unintentionally use it in conversation myself it annoys me even more.

It's still November. Christmas hype before December should be banned in general.

Tell me about it, I've been surrounded by Christmas stuff for weeks already. I will confess to having taken advantage, with some stollen and mince pies, but that's different, I ate them to enjoy the food not to celebrate Christmas! So many people in my workplace have been wearing Christmas jumpers, t-shirts and whatever since 8th November. I appreciate a lot of people like Christmas, but seriously? It's way too soon for all the Christmas clothing, and all the Christmas music will soon be here too...

I just hope it isn't like this year when apparently the Christmas music broadcast from whoever supplies music to my workplace couldn't be turned off because of lockdowns. Somehow they found a way in the middle of January to do it, probably after many complaints!

birchesgreen

Established Member
How about "youze guys" in a Brummie accent?

Strat-tastic

Established Member
People should be banned from changing the meaning of the word 'literally'.

And also from the annual complaining about Christmas starting too early :p

duncanp

Established Member
Can we ban the Aldi Christmas advert, titled "A Christmas Carrot", featuring "Kevin the Carrot" as Scrooge in a spoof of "A Christmas Carol"

I find "Kevin the Carrot" irritating all year round, but this advert is utterly vomit inducing.

xotGD

Established Member
How about:

"You folk"

"You lot"

"You people"

"You all"

However, in the north east we have it sussed with "Yous" as the plural of you.

nlogax

Established Member
On websites, tech products or software screens the phrase 'Powered by..' followed by (insert either defunct or since-rebranded tech company here). 'Powered by electricity' is the only true statement in all cases, and is obviously superfluous.

PeterY

Established Member
I stopped doing it, i always made an effort with my gift but every year the person who got me just gave me any old rubbish they had spare.
That's happened to me. I try to avoid secret Santa. I usually end up with after shave and I can't stand the stuff. It makes me itch.